RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

Anyone know a source for an 11/25 cassette for DA

I would like to go from my 9speed Shimano DA to the 10 speed. However, I cannot find a 11-25 cassette. I am using a FSA compact crank and need the 11 for downhills and flats. I like to have the 25 for really steep climbs. Anyone know a source. Shimano appears to be offering only 11/23 or 12/25.

srf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Here's a source for Ultegra 10 speed 11-25: http://www.branfordbike.com/cassette/cog9.html But it looks like they're made for Campy spacing? Dunno, call them. =)

Get me to In&Out
    I didn't see anything on large scale production. 10 speed is too new I guess for companies to start offering aftermarket stuff. Give it some time and it will be there. In the mean time, just suffer with only having the 12 tooth cog. So you will only hit 55 mph on the down hill. Just relax and enjoy the ride. It will provide a great excuse to coast and rest.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

An 11 on the flats?

Please give us your full name so we can catch you in the professional road sprints. To be able to wind out an 11 on the flats, you should be able to top 40 mph in a sprint. Very impressive. Otherwise, maybe you should just use a tight tuck when coasting and forget the 11, because you have to give up one or more key cogs in order to keep the 11.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

Not true, it's a compact crank!

That's why I made it a point of emphasizing the compact crank. My big ring is a 50 instead of the 53, my small ring is 34 instead of the 39. Therefore I need an 11/50 to get the same long ratio as you guys out there get with your 12/53, the benefit comes from the 34 in combination with the 23 or 25 which climb like a 26 or 28 respectively!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Went to Shimano's website and, if it's accurate, they are not making a 11-25 cassette for the 10 speed Dura-Ace. Best bet would be some aftermarket supplier. Perhaps you could get the 12-25 and order a seperate 11 tooth cog and then swap out the 12 for the 11?

http://dura-ace.shimano.com/publish/...S7800_spec.pdf

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Sorry 'bout that

Missed the compact reference. Still, very few people can even justify a 53/12 (your 50/11). You should consider how often you really NEED that tall a gear - it's still 35+ mph at 100 rpm, and therefore pushing 40 when wound out. You give up a lot of other gearing flexibility to get that 11. Unless you're an exceptional rider, you don't likely NEED the 120 inch top gear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

it's only one cog, and thenceforth only one tooth

a pal w/abundant common sense (in some ways) and plainspoken to say the least, occasionally gives me perspective.

"Did Eddy Merckx need more than ten speeds?" ;)

Sure it's cool to have the new stuff, and yes it's what helps drive the industry, but will it *really* affect your cycling to a measurable degree, or is it that extra mental edge?

In the latter case, I understand for sure. After I've repaired a flat during a ride, I'm unable to stop wondering how much less tire pressure is in there vs. filling up w/the track pump at home. Maybe there's a little OCD in all of us.

My new bike was supposed to come w/Dura Ace 39/53 and 11-23. Instead it came w/a 12-25.

My classic custom roadie has a 42/53 and (6 spd) 11-21. So during my latest ride on the classic up Mt. Diablo in northern CA, as I climbed out of the saddle during several bends, I calculated that the new setup will have a 22% gearing advantage in the low range. And the new bike is somewhat lighter too. That's gonna have to be good enough. I'm the weak link.