RoadBikeReview Member

Anyone pop the BB bearings out of a 2012 Raleigh Furley?

The bike's eccentric BB cups cradle the bearing almost all the way up to where the spindle sits, leaving no edge of the bearing exposed to a regular bearing press. At least to my n00b eyes.

If anyone has any experience popping the bearings, I'd love to hear it. Ideally I would like to replace the stock eccentric with something like a Beer one, but I'd prefer to not have to do that and shift more of this season't budget to my geared bike.

Also, because I know someone will ask: I could take it to an LBS, but I love working on this stuff myself and also need to know how to maintain it because I want to ride it year-round as much as Chicago weather and salt trucks will allow, so maintenance will have to be frequent.

I already had to pull the cranks twice to clean out grit, but this time the bearings got waterlogged. I disassembled and repacked them in situ, but would prefer to be able to yank them and properly wash and dry them.

Thanks for any advice!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    I'm looking for help adjusting the EBB on this thing. I loosened two bolts on the non-drive side but cannot get the ebb to spin at all. Does anyone know how do adjust this? I think there are bolts on the drive-side as well but to get to them I'd have to pull the chainring off. PITA. anyone?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey there,

The BB spins pretty easily if you have the right tools. You need a pin spanner ( I use this one) to get enough leverage to move it. I really find it helpful to have two, turning both simultaneously, to make sure one side doesn't start to bind. It really was just a matter of loosening the bolts and turning it, there's nothing else you should have to do.

The holes for the pin spanner are easily accessible from the drive side, if you rotate the crank to the right orientation. I'm pretty sure I had to pull the crank arm to get at the ones on the non-drive side. Pulling the crank arm is trivial, just takes a minute. It might be wise to do anyway and clean out any accumulated crud. I had a problem pulling the crank out entirely. Turns out the sides of my BB weren't lined up and they were twisting, putting a choke hold on the spindle. After aligning the halves the crank easily slides in and out. If you try to pull the crank and it is really difficult, that might be why.

Anyway, hope any of that helps. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll help to the best of my ability.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    awesome awesome awesome, thank you for your help. much appreciated. I don't have a pin spanner but I will be picking one up. Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks to sszyszka for the help here. In order to adjust the EBB I had to pull the crank arm on the non-drive side (2 screws and a dust cap and it was off), then loosen the 2 ebb screws (righty tighty/lefty loosey), then I took my pin spanner and twisted and the EBB moved. Simple, but I'm not much of a "wrench" so it was nice getting some assistance. I'm posting this for others who may be wondering exactly how to do it.