RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002

Anyone riding Mad Fiber wheels?

There's very few posts on the Mad Fiber carbon wheel sets, so I thought I would ask if anyone has ridden them. I am specifically interested in their new clinchers, which permit use of tubeless tires; but any thoughts on any of their wheels is appreciated since the tubulars and clinchers share most of the same design.
    Road: Fondriest TF1 (repaired once by Calfee) / Campy Record 2007 / Shamal Ultra + Hutchinson Atom tubeless / Look Keo / Antares / Thomson post / Zipp bars / 3T ARX stem
    MTB: Intense Spider / XTR disc / Fox TALAS / XTR tubeless / Time ATAC / Aliante / Thomsonn post / IRC Serac XC tubeless / Syntace stem and bar
    Favorite rider: Hincapie (the US rider who puts Paris-Roubaix first)
    Favorite road: "Seven Sisters" on Mt. Tamalpais
    Favorite trail: Tahoe Rim Trail's "Kingsbury Grade to the Bench"

FTR
    Burn baby, burn.
    If you do a search you will find a couple of posts by me regarding my MF tubulars.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    I've got around 400 miles on a set and am sorting out some idiosyncrasies with the tire bead giving me grief on certain tires. VERY fast wheels, you know when you are in a cross-wind, draft like the dickens, and durable to date (I'm 220 Lbs) I have a few steep descents under my belt at speed, but holding back until I figure out all that the braking surface will take with their proprietary cork pads. Glazed the pads once and cleaned them off with a bit of abrasive material, rode 'em in the pouring rain once without appreciable brake issues, and have climbed and descended a bit more than 30K feet thus far.

I'll review after I get a bit more time on the wheels and get the valves to run tubeless and give them a shot.

Greg

I ride in circles..
    I saw a few sets while at the Tour of the Battenkill a few weeks ago.. if people are willing to race them on a course like that they must be fairly durable.. or the owners have more money than brains.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

Road & Trail Warrior
    How the heck do you true those things?

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlandry View Post
    You dont.

FTR
    Burn baby, burn.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlandry View Post
    You dont and they warranty them if they go out of true.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Update on my last post- still running the MFs as my everyday wheels, and haven't had a lick of trouble to date, as I'm using a Conti Gatorshell . Fast, dependable, and cool visuals rolling and standing-still.

I'm going to run them across the country next month in a relay event that will put around 100-miles a day for 11-days on them. As for the cork pads, I'm wearing through the fronts fairly fast, but that might be due to the sanding I'm doing to get the glazing off.

Very responsive wheel. and your fellow cyclists knows it due to the noise when pushing them out of the saddle, so I've gotten adept at starting my sprint with straight-down pedal strokes until I get abreast then rocking with the noise emanating from the wheel to intimidate.

Oh yeah, tubeless out of the question right now, soon to be rectified.

More to follow
    Last edited by greghad; 05-27-2012 at 08:45 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    the owners have more money than brains.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Hmmm, a 1250 gm pair of clincher wheels that have no weight limit, a designer with proven prowess ( I rode Ric's wheels in the '90s while road and mountain-biking for Stanford University, and still have the wheels on other bikes, like my coupler-equipped Merlin Axiom that I rode for tour and a triathlon in Thailand last November), and a 4-year warranty on the build. Still feels like a good purchase after over 2000-miles in very hilly California terrain, but you have to try them to really decide if they are worth the coin. I guess that's why they put a bunch of wheels out to dealers to offer test-riding. So, here's the impression from someone riding the product regularly, not what I presume to be assumption by the uninitiated.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baker325 View Post
    the owners have more money than brains.
    Thanks for your opinion. Next time. Keep it yours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    I'm a little bummed about the name and the REI look-alike logo. Still, as they're local to me I'll look them up.

How do the cork pads fare in the rain? That makes me rather nervous...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    First ride was in rather heavy rain- consistent braking, and I was sure to clean the brake pads and braking surface afterwards.No real issues with braking to date, but as with all carbon braking surfaces, I'm a bit careful due to the possible heat build-up issues. Will follow-up as events unfold.

FTR
    Burn baby, burn.
    At least he got his post count to 10.
    I find the braking on my MF's to be excellent. Not grabby at all.
    I dont ride mine if it is wet.
    I have 2 other srts of alloy wheels for that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greghad View Post
    your fellow cyclists knows it due to the noise when pushing them out of the saddle, so I've gotten adept at starting my sprint with straight-down pedal strokes until I get abreast then rocking with the noise emanating from the wheel to intimidate.
    ??? You're saying the wheels make a different sound depending on whether you're pedaling out of the saddle or seated? That seems...odd.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    They had a post on their FB site saying that the tubeless wasn't quite working. They are working on changing the design. I'd hold off if you plan on using them in a tubeless config.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Full carbon wheels

Hi there

Just wondering - have you considered a set of Lightweight Standard Clincher or the new Lightweight Milestone Clincher??

I own a set of Standard clinchers, and I weigh 240lbs - I managed to save up the money, and bought a set - best wheels I have ever owned, Period!! - and I've had a few!!

They roll superbly - they stay true - their lateral & torsional stiffness is unsurpassed!!

But if you are looking for comfort - FORGET IT!!

Only problem is that all other wheels seem uninspiring after riding on these!!

With respect

Mads

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    What do a new pair of lightweight's run?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by deviousalex View Post
    What do a new pair of lightweight's run?
    http://jedi-sports.de/index.php?cat=...6&filter_id=28

With respect

Mads

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe Gator View Post
    There's very few posts on the Mad Fiber carbon wheel sets, so I thought I would ask if anyone has ridden them. I am specifically interested in their new clinchers, which permit use of tubeless tires; but any thoughts on any of their wheels is appreciated since the tubulars and clinchers share most of the same design.
    Mad Fiber are terrible i bought a pair 5 months ago and theyve been back the factory twice! poor QA/QC im selling them

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    Quote Originally Posted by roadeeee View Post
    Mad Fiber are terrible i bought a pair 5 months ago and theyve been back the factory twice! poor QA/QC im selling them
    I hate to see someone disappointed, I'll take them off your hands for $100.00
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?