Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Anyone tried the Time iClic 2 pedals yet?

48K views 117 replies 40 participants last post by  hawkhero 
#1 ·
Apparently they have a more robust cleat, stainless steel on top of the pedal wear areas..and I don't know if any other improvements. I had the old version but they were not very durable. I might try the new ones because my knees do like Time pedals.

#3 ·
You should have gotten the 2s for the better cleats and pedal wear. Especially the cleats,

#6 ·
Well I got my iclics in and gave them a once over and decided on sending them back for the iclic 2's. Did it for 3 main and what I believe very important changes. First is the addition of the metal friction plates adding longevity to the pedals life. Second is the beefed up rear of the pedal. If you examin the two versions you'll see the 2 is built up to now support the pressure of the trigger and carbon leaf. Lastly is the version 3 cleats. As the saying goes third times a charme.
Hope I've made a good choice. Been a Time fan for a looong time and don't want tobe disappointed.

#7 ·
I really think you made the right choice getting the new ones..I didn't know that te rear I'd the pedals has been beefed up. I wonder if they fixed the false clip in problem too. If they did I will give them another try.

#8 ·
Ya check out the two pedals side by side. The new one has been beefed mostly in the middle. They got rid of that sharp slim fin that supported the trigger. From some of the pedal failures I saw that fin was ripped out. There is not much material holding that area together.

#9 ·
They sure didn't do a very good job in the initial design as far as reliability goes. But I still prefer Time float over everything else..

#12 ·
It takes practice. I have the same thing with lighter pedals like the iClics and Look Blades compared to Dura Ace which I am currently using. I think I'm going to give the iClic 2's a try. I switched because I didn't trust the original pedals not to break on me. I have knee issues anyway and Time pedals work better for me no matter how much fitting I do with Shimano cleats.

I have the original iclics and have a problem with the pedals flipping over very easily and hence not being quick to clip in.

Is the Iclic 2 better in preventing this?

Is it somewhat opoerator error is there a trick in overcoming this?

#11 ·
#13 ·
I ordered the gray iClic 2's from Wiggle for $133 which seems like about the best price out there. No shipping charges either. I've never ordered from them before so we will see how it goes. I like the stronger steel axle over the carbons plus the gray color will match my Moots. :) I'll report bike after riding them. Hopefully Time has also solved the false clip in problem too.
Wiggle | Time I Clic 2 Racer Grey Pedals Clip-In Pedals

#14 ·
"First" are the sweet spot in the Time pedal lineup. They work just as well as the high end models (maybe better than the iClicks), hold up well and only weigh a tiny bit more. From some of the UK vendors you can get a pair, including new cleats, for just about the price of cleats here in the US.

#15 ·
I've got a couple of rides in on my new first generation iClic racers, which with the new version coming out can be bought for ridiculously low prices right now. After 5 or 6 hours on the bike, nothing but good things to report. The pedals hang in the perfect position to click in, they engage incredibly easily, they have the float I want, and I haven't had the "mis-clips" that I've read about elsewhere. I didn't do much walking around on the cleats (my pedals came with the 2nd version of the cleats), but I didn't notice any flexing or cracking from what I did do. Although, the fact that they shipped with two sets of cleats didn't exactly inspire me with a load of confidence!

#17 · (Edited)
I have never been on Time pedals and the 3 guys that I know that have seen use older version of Time (not sure what type) have all switched to Look Blades - 16nm. They all wanted the super low weight that the Blade offers.

I have only used Shimano 540 and Speedplays. I just am not getting it when told how the Time's pedal feels like. Could someone explain to me (again) the "feel".........

Ok. The cleat is self centering so it forces my cleat straight. Is not the Look and Shimano pedal kind of the same?

Now I have 5 degrees of float L/R but the cleat wants to go to 0*.. how much adjustment can be made to cleat to bring heel out or in, so if I ride heel in, Im at 0* and not felling my cleat forcing my foot/ankle/knee to and uncomfortable position....

I know with my 540's it took some tinkering to get the cleat right till it felt neutral.. Im sorry if this is a stupid question and have read several different threads. I just want to understand.

how was the cleats holding up so far? Im cylde with big feet.

#19 ·
I have never been on Time pedals and the 3 guys that I know that have seen use older version of Time (not sure what type) have all switched to Look Blades - 16nm. They all wanted the super low weight that the Blade offers.
Really?

From CompetitiveCyclist.com, a shop that actually weighs out the parts:

2012 Look Keo Blade Carbon Titanium Pedals– Actual Weight: 186 g
2011 Time Iclic Titan Carbon Pedals – Actual Weight: 182 g

Look Pedals - Competitive Cyclist
Time Pedals - Competitive Cyclist

#18 ·
It's not self centering in the same ways as Shimano or Look. You still have more freedom. Time pedals didn't used to be self centering at all but they changed it for some reason. I would check the Time wed site for angle adjustment details.

#21 ·
I used Equipes for many years and didn't think they had recentering. Guess I could be wrong.

#22 ·
I have the first generation iClics and don't like them. They're ok once I'm clicked in but they don't always latch cleanly plus the cleats are really fragile. The new ones look better, I like the design, they just didn't get it right on the first try.

#23 ·
I gave up on the first ones but am hoping the second are better..

#27 ·
I received my Time Racer pedals today. Gray not white like the previous versions. Fine with me since they look better on a titanium bike. I'm putting them on later today and riding tomorrow and will give a ride report after that. They do feel a lot more robust than the previous versions. The pedals and the cleats have a noticeably more durable solid feel and build.

#28 ·
MAN.. that looks awesome. can't wait for the ride report.....

If your report could you tell us about the float feel with the new metal tops and explain the feeling of the self centering float.... if it bothers you and how much (whats the right word) angle you can make the cleat on the shoe.... I ride heel in on one side. Its funny my bad knee i can set up the cleat easy on the good one i had to tinker and adjust over a month to get the right twist before it felt good. the pedal always felt it was like forcing my foot back and it really bothered me.

#29 ·
Will do. I had the original iClics and gave up on them because the build didn't feel very robust and I had a lot of false clip ins. I've never noticed the self centering on any Time pedals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.