RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

Anyone using a Brooks Flyer (w/ Springs) on a bike with drops?

I am trying to use some gift certificates on Amazon to buy a new Brooks saddle. I am having a new bike built up for general commute / touring, steel frame, etc. It will have drop bars. Am I crazy for considering one of the saddles with the springs? Weight isn't the biggest consideration.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Is it crazy to build a bike with drops and ride only on the tops? Some do! Saddle
    comfort is about angles. If you ride with an upright back, springs (and a wider saddle) will be most effective. The more forward you lean the the less benefit you get and the more distracting the springs become. Rule of thumb don't consider springs if your hands aren't level or above the saddle. The only "modern" bike I found improved by springs was a folder.

Sleep Expert
    Check out Dave Hickey's pictures of his bikes, you'll see springs on them. Keep in mind that the Brooks B17 doesn't have them, yet is widely considered the most comfortable saddle you can buy.
    My carbon footprint has cleats

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have 7 Brooks saddles on 7 bikes and they are the most comfortable I have ever ridden. I would guess that the springs would only benefit you over very bumpy surfaces. Otherwise, the feel should be close to the same.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by on board
    I am trying to use some gift certificates on Amazon to buy a new Brooks saddle. I am having a new bike built up for general commute / touring, steel frame, etc. It will have drop bars. Am I crazy for considering one of the saddles with the springs? Weight isn't the biggest consideration.
    I don't have one, but I've heard it's best for people who have a more upright position (think cruisers, touring bikes possibly). Might be overkill for paved roads. I have a Swallow on my road bike and like it quite a bit.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think you have to look at your riding position on the bike. Saddles with springs I believe are designed for those who ride "heavy" in the saddle. Racers however keep more pressure on the pedals and sit lighter and therefore don't need springs not to mention the extra weight of a sprung saddle. For a touring bike, a sprung saddle and drop bars is very common as road speeds are more relaxed. While I have a B17 on my touring bike (unsprung) I know of many fellow tourists that ride the Flyer saddles and in fact Brooks lists them in there catalog under touring saddles.