Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004

Applying Chain-L

Apologies if posted already. I did some searching but results are a bit inconclusive...

The Chain-L website is down and I'm looking for instructions on proper application. From what I can gather, its a lengthy process including taking chain off the bike, laying chain out and then applying. Letting it sit, then reinstalling chain.

Can this product be applied direct to chain "on bike?" Like with other wet lubes, one drop per link at a time while spinning crank backwards then wiping excess? Or must the "chain off bike" process be followed? It appears my shop did the "bike on" method spelled out above and bike is clean, no spraying of excess lube, and of course chain is quieter and smoother than ever. So that leads me to believe the "bike on" method works fine. I want to switch to this product full time, but if the "chain off" process is a must, then its a bit too much of a hassle for me (please don't judge).

Again, sorry for a question I'm sure has been addressed before here...somewhere...but the Chain-L site is down.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Welcome to the quiet , high mileage, long lasting chain club. Yes, no reason you can't apply it on the bike. I'm pretty sure that's how it says to do so on the site.

When applying it the first time or on a fully cleaned chain, I'll take it off and do it on the floor. I'll go over it twice, letting it soak in. Otherwise I do it on the bike.

My only complaint about chain-l is the bottle SUCKS. It comes out way to fast. Which makes it tricky to do it on the bike. I put mine in a small applicator bottle. Makes it simple to put one drop on each link without wasting it all over the chain and making a mess.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    Sweet. I was hoping an on bike application would work.

Funny story...I brought my bike in (road bike) for service. Got it back and the thing was so smooth and dead quiet. And of course, I smelled a new type of lube that reminded me of my younger days swapping rear Positraction gear combos on my old Z-28. Something was definitely weird. So next time in shop, I asked my mechanic.."Dont take this the wrong way, but did you lube my chain and with what?" He said "why, is it too quiet?" and pulled out a bottle of Chain-L. So yeah...wanna use it! Since then I'm about 200 miles in and chain is quiet and pretty clean, too.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RkFast View Post
    Since then I'm about 200 miles in and chain is quiet and pretty clean, too.
    Great bike shop!
    Just wipe it with a rag every couple hundred miles and you'll be good for 600-1000mi between applications.

As soon as you start to hear the chain not being quiet, you know it's time to reapply.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks for the guidance!

Probably picking up a bit more dirt than a dry lube, but not by much at all. And I haven't even wiped down yet.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I received some free samples of chain-L a while back. I found the small sample bottles really hard to get the lube out of until I soaked them in hot water to warm the stuff up. At room temperature, it's the consistency of honey. I wanted to like the stuff, but I just didn't. Yeah, maybe it works between applications for 600, 800, ... even 1000 miles. But I clean my bikes every 200-300 miles, and that includes cleaning the chain. I found chain-L harder to get off than the drip lube I use (Rock n Roll). I find that most wet lubes work fine for 200-300 miles.

Fecal indicator
    I use the small trial sample bottle to apply Chain L and top it off from the 4 oz. container that I purchased.

I apply the smallest possible amount on each link on the 'inside' of the chain as it leaves the lower guide pulley when backpedaling. once each link is lubed, I spin the cranks backwards a dozen times and let it sit overnite.

wipe before riding the next day and enjoy the velvety smooth, SILENT drivetrain for many hundreds of miles. in dry conditions, my average interval is ~750 - 1000 miles. longest interval was over 1200.

I wipe the chain after every ride, but it's really not necessary. at 1000 mi, the chain is more quiet than after 100 mi with a lot of other lubes I've used...

at first I thought the odor was a little funky, but I've actually grown to like it...

this product gets my 5-star recommendation.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    But I clean my bikes every 200-300 miles, and that includes cleaning the chain. I found chain-L harder to get off than the drip lube I use (Rock n Roll).
    Whatever works for you. I couldn't be bothered to clean my chain every week or two.
    Not sure why you find chain-l harder to get off. You don't need to get it off, just add more when needed. All it takes is occasional wipe down with a rag. Maybe a little oms on the rag once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    at first I thought the odor was a little funky, but I've actually grown to like it...
    I don't mind the smell either. I've read about people claiming how awful it smells. Heck, sometimes I apply it in the living room. And the GF doesn't even complain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I found the small sample bottles really hard to get the lube out of until I soaked them in hot water to warm the stuff up.
    I found chain-L harder to get off than the drip lube I use (Rock n Roll). I find that most wet lubes work fine for 200-300 miles.
    +1 on warming the bottle of chain-l in hot water to apply. Don't even think about the microwave.

And always let it soak into the chain for at least 30-60 minutes at room temperature before wiping / riding. Overnight is best. It takes time for the lube to wick into the chain link joints, which is where you want it most for long term protection.

Yes it has an odor like 80/90 gear oil. It is also very sticky, and will "web" off the chain / sprocket and create a mess if you put too much on, cold, and then ride.
    That odor is due to heavy gear oil additives that helps long term lubrication deep in chain joints. I usually put opened up plastic grocery bags under the chain to catch the excess lube, and quickly toss them in the garage after the job is done.

I also use Rock n Roll Gold to clean / lube the chain between applications of chain-l.

Everyone's conditions are different - I ride in an area laden with very fine sand dust.
    It's everywhere, always blowing around, and wreaks havoc on chains. The main industry of my town, for over 100 years, was selling this fine sand dust to iron foundries for sand casting iron molds.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A little off topic, but has anybody use Chain L on a cross or gravel bike and if so how does it work in a very dirty environment as far as longevity and not holding dirt into the chain?
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z'mer View Post
    +1 on warming the bottle of chain-l in hot water to apply. Don't even think about the microwave.
    I've done the warming method. It works but I found it cools off quick and you have to rewarm it. What I do is dilute it with a couple drops of OMS. Works perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    A little off topic, but has anybody use Chain L on a cross or gravel bike and if so how does it work in a very dirty environment as far as longevity and not holding dirt into the chain?
    Yes. And on my MTB's too. It works great in dirty environments. Just wipe down the chain more often.

Highly rated on MTBR
    Chain-L Lube Lube Reviews - Mtbr.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    I've been using NFS diluted with OMS. That was the only way I could get it to penetrate, and its viscosity is less than Chain-L.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Is Chain-L out of business? Their website is not working.

Fecal indicator
    Quote Originally Posted by mfdemicco View Post
    not sure, tried to find it yesterday and nothing came up...

bought several bottles from Amazon in case Frank shut down operations.

this place has some in stock...

https://fairwheelbikes.com/chain-l-chain-lube/
    Last edited by Oxtox; 04-21-2017 at 05:33 PM.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    He posts a lot in bikeforums.net

RoadBikeReview Member
    Late to the party, but just to add a data point: I've used Chain-L pretty much since it came out, and I have never taken the chain off, and really see no good reason to do so. I usually wipe down the chain with mineral spirits before reapplication, and let it soak in for somewhere between 15 minutes to half an hour afterwards before running the chain through a rag until the webbing off the derailleur wheels stops. I then usually wipe it down one more time after the first ride and then leave it alone for a thousand miles or so.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Website is back up. Chain-L Lube Buy Now

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Website is back up. Chain-L Lube Buy Now
    I ordered some on the 27th of April, hadn't heard anything a couple days ago and so used the contact us to see how long it should take to show up and go nothing back. Are they having problems I wonder? Does it normally take over a week to get it from the date ordered?

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    I'm a bit worried, to be honest. I've never seen a Chain L thread go this long without him chiming in....Super helpful guy and usually a prolific poster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z'mer View Post
    Everyone's conditions are different - I ride in an area laden with very fine sand dust.
    It's everywhere, always blowing around, and wreaks havoc on chains. The main industry of my town, for over 100 years, was selling this fine sand dust to iron foundries for sand casting iron molds.
    Never mind your chain. I have to wonder what it's done to your lungs.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got a note from Francis on the shipment - they rejected a lot of bottles due to leakage under the cap, so the shipping is delayed, should ship this week sometime.

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Got a note from Francis on the shipment - they rejected a lot of bottles due to leakage under the cap, so the shipping is delayed, should ship this week sometime.
    Thanks. Good to hear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Received a second email update yesterday; they'll restart shipping today, and have promised that orders will be shipped out no later than tomorrow morning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirx View Post
    Received a second email update yesterday; they'll restart shipping today, and have promised that orders will be shipped out no later than tomorrow morning.
    Thanks, just checked my spam folder and got the same - I was about to break down and install new chains now and quit waiting on the lube but I'll wait now so I can do it off the bike.

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Fecal indicator
    crap...!

I assumed the worst, that they had stopped production, and bought 4 bottles on Amazon for $2/bottle more than Frank's website charges...

doh.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast