RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

ARGH!! The dreaded triple derailleur adjustment...Killing me

My wife was wanting a true road bike and I found a steal on a Fuji Newest 1.0 that someone built up with 105/Ultegra 9 speed and a nice set of Open Pros on 6500 hubs. It still has the factory triple RPM brand crank on it and a 105 triple derailleur and shifter.

Whomever built it up did a sorry job and I have spent a few hours going over everything and making it "right".

So anyway, this dang triple is kicking my ass. I have decided to settle at this point with almost no chain rub on the 50/39 rings and a good deal of rub on the tiny one on either the 11 or the 21 and 23 cog out back. If I get the tiny one running better all hell breaks loose on the 39....am I missing something. Is there a good way to start adjusting it or just mess with it like I have been doing. I started on the little ring and got it decent then went to the middle, etc. Then when I am back to the little one it is off again.

The only bikes I have a triple on are mountain bikes and the shifters are different there without the trimming capability, so I feel like a newbie.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    i've been told all gears are NOT usuable, especially the cross chaining. even on a double compact, cross chaining causes rub.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

There's the rub

Quote Originally Posted by davcruz
    I have decided to settle at this point with almost no chain rub on the 50/39 rings and a good deal of rub on the tiny one on either the 11 or the 21 and 23 cog out back. If I get the tiny one running better all hell breaks loose on the 39....am I missing something.
    Yes, what you are missing is that you should not be attempting to use the small ring with the smallest 2 or 3 cogs on the cassette. The general rule for triples is that the biggest 2-3 cogs are out of bounds with the big ring, you might have to stay out of the biggest and smallest cogs when on the middle ring, and stay out of the smallest 2-3 cogs when on the granny. It's trying to eliminate the cage rub with the grann/11 that is messing everything else up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Go to the Park Tool website and follow their instructions in sequence. Agree that you should not be trying to cross chain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    My wife and I both have ultegra triples and they shift perfect. Following Park tools site to the letter will get yours there also. Cross chaining is bad but ours rarely rub when cross chained even so.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the replies and comments. I did it the Park Tool way and got it fairly well setup. However after a brief 5 mile test ride I determined the RPM square taper crank is basically junk. The BB is shot and after the bearings warm up there is a good deal of play in them particularly when on the big ring. I found a good deal on a take off FSA Gossamer compact Mega EXO setup for $30 on eBay and I already have a 5500 double FD in my parts box so I am going to go compact double on her bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    This is why I have barcons on my triple: no index shifting on the front derailleur. No chain rub, never. I hate chain rub. Off course, I still avoid cross chaining in excess.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by davcruz
    My wife was wanting a true road bike and I found a steal on a Fuji Newest 1.0 that someone built up with 105/Ultegra 9 speed and a nice set of Open Pros on 6500 hubs. It still has the factory triple RPM brand crank on it and a 105 triple derailleur and shifter.

Whomever built it up did a sorry job and I have spent a few hours going over everything and making it "right".

So anyway, this dang triple is kicking my ass. I have decided to settle at this point with almost no chain rub on the 50/39 rings and a good deal of rub on the tiny one on either the 11 or the 21 and 23 cog out back. If I get the tiny one running better all hell breaks loose on the 39....am I missing something. Is there a good way to start adjusting it or just mess with it like I have been doing. I started on the little ring and got it decent then went to the middle, etc. Then when I am back to the little one it is off again.

The only bikes I have a triple on are mountain bikes and the shifters are different there without the trimming capability, so I feel like a newbie.
    shimano 105 triple; no rubs on any chainring. Tweak limit screws; it's millimeters that make the difference. Go to Park tools web site or Shimano tech docs; don't use shifters; use your hand to pull on cable to "shift"