pedalpedalpedal

Bar-end shifter mounting options

I'm trying to figure out how to mount bar-end shifters on a bullhorn that has brake levers on it already. The levers mount inside the ends of the bar, just like the shifters would, so I can't do both. I don't want TT bars, so that option is also out as far as mounting the shifters. Paul's Thumbies are okay, but they look sort of clunky since the shifters have to be mounted sideways.

Is there any sort of adapter out there that would clamp onto the flat section of the bar, and allow me to mount the shifters pointing forward?

Steaming piles of opinion
    If you looked hard, you might find some old Suntour Command shifters. You could use the bases from those to mount whatever levers you wanted.

Another thought would be to use regular barcons, and replace the brake levers with some that clamp rather than end mount. They're not as common as they once were, but there are some still around.

In a similar vein, you could use cross-top levers, positioned at the bar ends, to subsitute for clamp-mount TT brake levers. Perhaps not ideal, but it works. Was discussed in a thread in the past week or so.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

pedalpedalpedal
    I've looked for one of those computer/light mounts that clamps to the bar, but I can't find any that are cylindrical. If I could find one with the same diameter as a bar end, chop off the horizontal section, and use the section that points forward, I could mount the shifter in that. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything like that yet.

Edit: Something like this + a hacksaw might work perfectly.

Last edited by f3rg; 02-20-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Rollin' Stones
    Couldn't you replace the current brake levers with regular brake levers from Nashbar? The ones that look like STI levers but are just brake levers. Then the ends are open for the shifters?
    I want rustlers, cutthroats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con-men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull-dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, sh**-kickers, and Methodists!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Could you use something like this?
    http://www.downcycles.com/blogs/tech...thumb_shifters

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008

pedalpedalpedal
    Those Jtek levers look like they might work, but I think the diameter of a bullhorn bar end is larger than 22.2mm.

carveitup, I mentioned the Paul Thumbies in my original post. They'd work, but I don't like the sideways mounting of the shift lever.

Low Idiot Tolerance
    Jul 2005
    bar end shifters AND time trial aero levers

We've been there. It was fulfilling.

Grumps