Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    18

    BB30 in standard threads?

    I am still trying to figure out this whole BB mess... too many standards.

    I think I have to scrap my current CAAD 9 frame due to a dent/crack.

    Can I use my BB30 Force cranks and BB on any frame with an adaptor? Is there such an adaptor even?

    Thanks for the insight!

  2. #2
    25.806975801127
    Reputation: PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,780
    BB30 crank is bigger than normal 68mm BST BB. Ergo, no. There is no adaptor to make a smaller BB magically grow into a bigger one.

    You can put a regular crank in a BB30 with an adaptor, but you can't go the other way.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

    Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

    Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    74
    This might be what you are looking for:

    http://www.rotorbikeusa.com/products...m_bracket.html
    Custom Team Kits available @ VCRC!! Check it out today! http://www.vcrcbike.com/

  4. #4
    25.806975801127
    Reputation: PlatyPius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    9,780
    Quote Originally Posted by VCRC Bike View Post
    This might be what you are looking for:

    http://www.rotorbikeusa.com/products...m_bracket.html
    Ok, apparently you CAN put a BB30 crank in a standard frame. Would you, however, want to? How thin do those BB bearings have to be? How long would/could they last? Perhaps this is why I have never seen one before...
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

    Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

    Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Kontact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,016
    Some 30mm cranks can fit into an English threaded BB, like BB386, but normal BB30s are too narrow - not enough space between the cranks for the bearings and the BB shell.

    The Rotor cranks can do it, but those cups will only work on the Rotors - not a SRAM BB30.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: ms6073's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by VCRC Bike View Post
    This might be what you are looking for:
    http://www.rotorbikeusa.com/products...m_bracket.html
    Read the product description a little closer and you will find that adapter is designed specifically for use with the Rotor 3D+ BB30 crankset and will not work for normal BB30 cranksets such as the SRAM or Cannondale SL BB30 cranksets.
    There may not be an 'I' in team but there is a 'U' in suck!
    __0
    _ \ |_
    (O)/ (O)

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by ms6073 View Post
    Read the product description a little closer and you will find that adapter is designed specifically for use with the Rotor 3D+ BB30 crankset and will not work for normal BB30 cranksets such as the SRAM or Cannondale SL BB30 cranksets.
    Doh! Good catch!
    Custom Team Kits available @ VCRC!! Check it out today! http://www.vcrcbike.com/

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    555
    Zipp Vumaquad has a 30mm axle & fits in a standard 68mm threaded frame. Perhaps you can use their bearing cups with your BB30 Force cranks? No idea if the zipp cup stack height would work though. May require some tweaking/spacers. Personally I'd just get a new frame that uses BB30. They are pretty common now, even on lower end models.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Kontact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,016
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post
    Zipp Vumaquad has a 30mm axle & fits in a standard 68mm threaded frame. Perhaps you can use their bearing cups with your BB30 Force cranks? No idea if the zipp cup stack height would work though. May require some tweaking/spacers. Personally I'd just get a new frame that uses BB30. They are pretty common now, even on lower end models.
    The Vumaquad is garbage, and SRAM discontinued it almost the moment they bought Zipp.

    But the point of the OPs question is whether he can use a Force BB30 crank in a non-BB30 crank. The answer is an unequivacal NO.

    The crank isn't wide enough to get external bearing between it and the English BB shell, and the spindle too thick to get bearings between it and the inside of the shell.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    555
    I was only suggesting he might be able to make something like this work:

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...lespeed/147061

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Kontact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,016
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post
    I was only suggesting he might be able to make something like this work:

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...lespeed/147061
    If you are suggesting that the Force BB30 crank can be used like Vuma, it can't. The Vuma was designed before BB30 and was intended for English BBs - that isn't an adapter but the normal external BB cups.

    Please re-read my last post about BB30 crank dimensions. They cannot be made to work with English BBs.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    555
    I hear you but how are they making this work? Is this not a specialized BB30 crank with zipp BB in a standard 68mm shell bottom bracket?


  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Kontact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,016
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post
    I hear you but how are they making this work? Is this not a specialized BB30 crank with zipp BB in a standard 68mm shell bottom bracket?

    The one in the picture has a Specialized sticker on it, but the article says it is a Zipp Vukaquad crank. Whether that is or isn't I couldn't say, but we are not looking at a combination of a BB30 crank and an English BB shell. The frame and crank are protypes, so who knows what's going on, but I can tell what isn't happening.

    Zipp cranks are not BB30. They have a 30mm spindle, but are much wider than BB30, like FSA's BB386. Since English BBs are about 35mm in diameter, there is just enough room to get the threaded portion of the external BB cups between the 30mm spindle and the shell.
    Last edited by Kontact; 07-04-2011 at 06:12 PM.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    Some 30mm cranks can fit into an English threaded BB, like BB386, but normal BB30s are too narrow - not enough space between the cranks for the bearings and the BB shell.

    The Rotor cranks can do it, but those cups will only work on the Rotors - not a SRAM BB30.
    Would something like this fit the bill for SRAM??

    http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?...ajor=1&minor=6

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Kontact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,016
    Quote Originally Posted by RC28 View Post
    Would something like this fit the bill for SRAM??

    http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?...ajor=1&minor=6
    Ah, no. That is an adapter to put an English BB crank in a BB30 shell. The OP asked about putting a BB30 crank in an English shell.

    You can put 10 gallons of manure in a 30 gallon sack, but you can't fit 30 gallons of manure in a 10 gallon sack. I don't know how better to explain this.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    16
    Yes it can be done, have seen it weightweenies.starbike.com It does however slightly mess up the q-factor.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Mackers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    208
    That worked by combining a Hollowgram crankset with an altered MTB spindle.
    Won't work for SRAM cranksets.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Kontact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,016
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan84318 View Post
    Yes it can be done, have seen it weightweenies.starbike.com It does however slightly mess up the q-factor.
    Then please explain to us how a crank with 68mm between the arms can suddenly get long enough to fit both a 68mm BB shell and bearings. Post a link, whatever.


    This thread has gone to full-on ridiculous. Why is this so difficult?
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    851
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    You can put 10 gallons of manure in a 30 gallon sack, but you can't fit 30 gallons of manure in a 10 gallon sack. I don't know how better to explain this.
    Maybe some more concrete numbers will help.

    A BB30 crank has a spindle diameter of 30mm, and a spindle length of a little over 68mm (to allow for using thin shims to set the bearing preload).

    An English threaded bottom bracket has 1.37"x24TPI threads and a 68mm shell width.

    Now, according to Wikipedia, the internal diameter of an English-threaded bottom bracket is approximately 33.6-33.9mm. Let's take 33.9mm, because that's the most generous case (and it still won't work).

    So you have a 30mm OD spindle and a ~34mm ID shell. Now, suppose you could press bearings directly into the threaded shell (which you can't), what does that mean for your bearing dimensions? It means your bearing needs to have a 30mm ID and a 34mm OD. In other words, in 2mm of radial space, you need to have room for a bearing inner race, the ball bearing itself, and the bearing outer race. 2mm is 0.079". First of all, this bearing doesn't exist. Second, even if it did exist, the load capacity of the bearing would be, basically, crap.

    Ok, so we can't fit a bearing in the shell. How about outboard bearings like most modern threaded bottom brackets? This is fine, you can put bearings on the outside of the BB shell -- but now your bottom bracket width is > 68mm -- probably close to 80mm or so. Which means that a standard BB30 crank spindle (which, as you'll recall, is just a little over 68mm) won't reach from one side to the other.

    tl;dr: you can't put bearings for a 30mm spindle inside an English bottom bracket shell, and if you put the bearings on the outside the crank spindle is too short.

    Asad

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    121

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by asad137 View Post
    Maybe some more concrete numbers will help.

    A BB30 crank has a spindle diameter of 30mm, and a spindle length of a little over 68mm (to allow for using thin shims to set the bearing preload).

    An English threaded bottom bracket has 1.37"x24TPI threads and a 68mm shell width.

    Now, according to Wikipedia, the internal diameter of an English-threaded bottom bracket is approximately 33.6-33.9mm. Let's take 33.9mm, because that's the most generous case (and it still won't work).

    So you have a 30mm OD spindle and a ~34mm ID shell. Now, suppose you could press bearings directly into the threaded shell (which you can't), what does that mean for your bearing dimensions? It means your bearing needs to have a 30mm ID and a 34mm OD. In other words, in 2mm of radial space, you need to have room for a bearing inner race, the ball bearing itself, and the bearing outer race. 2mm is 0.079". First of all, this bearing doesn't exist. Second, even if it did exist, the load capacity of the bearing would be, basically, crap.

    Ok, so we can't fit a bearing in the shell. How about outboard bearings like most modern threaded bottom brackets? This is fine, you can put bearings on the outside of the BB shell -- but now your bottom bracket width is > 68mm -- probably close to 80mm or so. Which means that a standard BB30 crank spindle (which, as you'll recall, is just a little over 68mm) won't reach from one side to the other.

    tl;dr: you can't put bearings for a 30mm spindle inside an English bottom bracket shell, and if you put the bearings on the outside the crank spindle is too short.

    Asad
    This !

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    666
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    Ah, no. That is an adapter to put an English BB crank in a BB30 shell. The OP asked about putting a BB30 crank in an English shell.

    You can put 10 gallons of manure in a 30 gallon sack, but you can't fit 30 gallons of manure in a 10 gallon sack. I don't know how better to explain this.
    Oops! I stand corrected.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,234
    Quote Originally Posted by farva View Post
    I hear you but how are they making this work? Is this not a specialized BB30 crank with zipp BB in a standard 68mm shell bottom bracket?

    That frame's out of prototype. It can be yours, including a seat post, saddle and headset, for $470. Actually a pretty good price, IMO.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by asad137 View Post
    Maybe some more concrete numbers will help.

    A BB30 crank has a spindle diameter of 30mm, and a spindle length of a little over 68mm (to allow for using thin shims to set the bearing preload).

    An English threaded bottom bracket has 1.37"x24TPI threads and a 68mm shell width.

    Now, according to Wikipedia, the internal diameter of an English-threaded bottom bracket is approximately 33.6-33.9mm. Let's take 33.9mm, because that's the most generous case (and it still won't work).

    So you have a 30mm OD spindle and a ~34mm ID shell. Now, suppose you could press bearings directly into the threaded shell (which you can't), what does that mean for your bearing dimensions? It means your bearing needs to have a 30mm ID and a 34mm OD. In other words, in 2mm of radial space, you need to have room for a bearing inner race, the ball bearing itself, and the bearing outer race. 2mm is 0.079". First of all, this bearing doesn't exist. Second, even if it did exist, the load capacity of the bearing would be, basically, crap.
    Asad
    Thanks for the numbers.
    Wrong and Right.
    The ZIPP Vuma Quad Bottom Bracket works, however, the 68mm-ish spindle length on a SRAM PF30 crank does not reach far enough so it does NOT work.

    Too bad. I wanted to start standardizing all my bikes with BB30 or PF30 cranks. Now I know I can't.
    Last edited by egebhardt; 07-06-2013 at 10:08 PM.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    9
    Thread Resurrection --

    With some Sram BB30 cranks, this is possible. Some are a true BB30, and the spindle is too short and it is not possible. But others have a longer spindle length, with extra space taken up with a spacer on the drive side and an adjusting/preload collar on the non drive. When both of those are removed, it becomes essentially a 386 Evo, or just like a Rotor crank. Preload is instead accomplished with a wave washer and spacers as needed. And a BSA30 bottom bracket, which has the same bearings as a BB30. Attachment 320371Attachment 320372Just wanted to pass this along if anyone comes to read this thread. It can be done, with the right crank.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    282
    I think mainly Force 22 or S902 have that longer spindle. Maybe also one of the Quarq cranksets. I see also for 2017 SRAM offers what it calls Red BB386.

    scott s.
    .
    Last edited by scott967; 09-04-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Standard BB English to BB30
    By itspat in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2010, 07:56 AM
  2. BB30 converted to standard?
    By lawrencemonsters in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 08:14 PM
  3. convert bb30 to standard BB?
    By bikerboy337 in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-05-2010, 09:24 PM
  4. 15t freewheel for standard hub threads?
    By threesportsinone in forum Fixed/Single Speed
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 10:39 AM
  5. S-works OS BB = new BB30 standard?
    By Kwantani in forum Specialized
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-17-2007, 12:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •