RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014

BB7 Road - Noise Issues

Hey All.

I got a Fairdale Weekender about a month ago and I really like it. It came with Avid BB7 Road disc brakes, which I was stoked about because I have the BB7s on my MTB and they work really well, are simple to set up, and don't make noise.

I have not had the same experience with the brakes on my Weekender. While the stopping power is great, they make a ton of noise. I have taken the bike back to the shop 3 times to have the problem sorted and they have not fixed the issue. I could keep taking it back, but I'd rather just get the problem fixed.

First, the noise. I get some squealing, but I mostly get a grinding type noise.

I took the pads out of the calipers and they have strange wear marks on them. It looks as if the pad is bigger than the braking surface on the rotor and that the outer edge of the rotor is wearing a line into the pads. I thought this was strange so I pulled the pads from my mountain BB7s and they do not have this weird wear pattern.

Other than one being the BB7 Mtn and one being the BB7 Road, the other differences are that I am running 180mm rotors on the MTB and 160mm rotors on the Weekender and the MTB has Alligator pads while the Weekender has the stock Avid pads. I don't see how either of these things would affect the pad wear. I have heard that different pads can make all of the difference with noise, but I think that generally applies to squealing, not weird grinding noises.

Please see my photos below which show the MTB pads side by side with the Road pads and the brackets that were used to mount the MTB brakes vs. the Road brakes (Note that the MTB pads are smooth and the Road pads have deep grooves in them). I will also say that I set up the MTBs myself and have never had an issue, so I can only assume that the shop did something wrong when they were setting these up and I am wondering if they used the wrong mounting brackets?

Looking forward to your input.

Thanks!

BB7 Road - Noise Issues-img_5897.jpgBB7 Road - Noise Issues-img_5898.jpgBB7 Road - Noise Issues-img_5900.jpgBB7 Road - Noise Issues-img_5901.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would try replacing your Avid pads with the same Alligator pads you use on your mountain bike. Then set them up so they are aligned and don't cause a wear groove.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Russian Troll Farmer
    From extensive automotive experience, I can tell you that disc brake noise is usually either from pad material (grinding), or from vibration of the pad inside the caliper (squealing).

You didn't show the discs. Is the braking surface ABSOLUTELY smooth? Are there possibly burrs left on any holes/slots? Also, was all the machining oil removed when the pads were set in? I've bought drilled/slotted automotive rotors in the past that needed resurfacing straight out of the box.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    So, I sanded the rotors and the pads down. Then I put everything back together, made sure the calipers were properly aligned and did the recommended bedding procedure for these brakes. I am getting the same results. Some squealing, but mostly grinding noises and weird braking vibrations sometimes as well.

I have considered replacing with the same pads I have in my MTB BB7s, but I feel like there is more to this issue than the pads given the strange grooves on the pads and the braking vibrations that I sometimes experience.

Anybody else have any input?

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnato1 View Post
    So, I sanded the rotors and the pads down. Then I put everything back together, made sure the calipers were properly aligned and did the recommended bedding procedure for these brakes. I am getting the same results. Some squealing, but mostly grinding noises and weird braking vibrations sometimes as well.

I have considered replacing with the same pads I have in my MTB BB7s, but I feel like there is more to this issue than the pads given the strange grooves on the pads and the braking vibrations that I sometimes experience.

Anybody else have any input?

Thanks.
    None other than my previous advice in post #2.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger