RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012

BB86 and Dura Ace cranks

I am looking at buying a new bike, Fuji SST to be exact, that has a BB86. I currently use a Dura Ace SRM, and would like to be able to swap this over to my new ride. I have been searching for an answer for this, but is there an adapter that will make this work? Some sources say yes, some say no as the BB is too wide. The bike currently has Rotor 3D cranks that I will be pulling off if I buy it.

Thanks for the help

Sep 2007
    Here's the first result when you search for "Shimano BB86" on google. Still, I'd think really hard before going the new-fangled BB route.

Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

Sep 2007
    And here's a Fuji SST that comes stock with a Dura Ace crankset and probably with that very same adapter.

Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ukbloke View Post
    Still, I'd think really hard before going the new-fangled BB route.
    this is also the kind of advice that I was looking for. Any particular reason?

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by misterwaterfallin View Post
    this is also the kind of advice that I was looking for. Any particular reason?
    Well, here's my 2c. The claimed motivation for these new BB standards is to save weight and increase stiffness over the external BB standard. I think the improvements are marginal and not meaningful for the vast majority of riders. I think the real motivation is innovation for innovation's sake in an attempt to sell new bikes and components. The downsides are too many incompatible new standards, lots of adapters with some subtle compatibility problems, increased BB creaking, increased maintenance and reduced reliability. I'm particularly nervous of frames with carbon BB shells - these seem to have the most problems. An example is the Specialized carbon OSBB on SWorks frames and the changing advice on installation. Current advice is to loctite the "press-fit" adapters into the frame. Hmm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Well, here's my 2c. The claimed motivation for these new BB standards is to save weight and increase stiffness over the external BB standard. I think the improvements are marginal and not meaningful for the vast majority of riders. I think the real motivation is innovation for innovation's sake in an attempt to sell new bikes and components. The downsides are too many incompatible new standards, lots of adapters with some subtle compatibility problems, increased BB creaking, increased maintenance and reduced reliability. I'm particularly nervous of frames with carbon BB shells - these seem to have the most problems. An example is the Specialized carbon OSBB on SWorks frames and the changing advice on installation. Current advice is to loctite the "press-fit" adapters into the frame. Hmm.
    Thank you for that.

My second question is if I will even need an adapter for my DA 7800 from a bike that has a Rotor 3DF crank. I can't figure out if the crank spindle of the rotor is different from my Dura Ace and don't want to wait to receive the bike to sort this out as I would like to have everything done ASAP

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by misterwaterfallin View Post
    Thank you for that.

My second question is if I will even need an adapter for my DA 7800 from a bike that has a Rotor 3DF crank. I can't figure out if the crank spindle of the rotor is different from my Dura Ace and don't want to wait to receive the bike to sort this out as I would like to have everything done ASAP
    The crank spindle dimensions (30mm) are definitely different to DA 7800 (24mm), so you will have to do something.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    The crank spindle dimensions (30mm) are definitely different to DA 7800 (24mm), so you will have to do something.
    That's what I thought. Looks like the piece you linked to will do the trick

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    BB86 is a Shimano standard, 30mm spindled cranks don't work in it only a 24mm spindles will. Not sure what brand of bb is pressed into the Fuji and I don't really care. The picture above is not an adaptor, it is the bottom bracket for BB86, rather than threading in it's simply a pressfit.

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Scary View Post
    BB86 is a Shimano standard, 30mm spindled cranks don't work in it only a 24mm spindles will.
    I didn't think there was room to do 30mm cranks inside BB86 either, but Rotor claimed to have solved that with their Universal BB. They have a set of adapters/BBs that allow either their 24mm or 30mm cranks to work with any of the modern BB standards - "BSA (68 & 73), ITA, BB86, BBB89, BB92, BB30, BB386 evo and BBRight bikes."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I didn't think there was room to do 30mm cranks inside BB86 either, but Rotor claimed to have solved that with their Universal BB. They have a set of adapters/BBs that allow either their 24mm or 30mm cranks to work with any of the modern BB standards - "BSA (68 & 73), ITA, BB86, BBB89, BB92, BB30, BB386 evo and BBRight bikes."
    The bearings must sit external of the frame, regardless simply tap out the Rotor bb and press in a Shimano BB86 bb.

Sep 2007
    Ahah, this is "new" as in ebay. The installed BB is: "Rotor Press-Fit BB86/30 sealed cartridge bearing", so Mr. Scary's advice is spot on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Ahah, this is "new" as in ebay. The installed BB is: "Rotor Press-Fit BB86/30 sealed cartridge bearing", so Mr. Scary's advice is spot on.
    Cool thanks again for the help!