RoadBikeReview Member

Bearing drift - what do you use?

I just replaced the cartridge bearings on an older Bontrager (DT Swiss) rear hub a couple days ago, and ran into some trouble with finding a suitable drift for one of the bearings. Typically I've been lucky using my socket wrench set but with this hub you have to install one of the bearings with the axle in place, which requires a longer drift that will clear the axle . I eventually got the bearing pressed in there, but it took some digging to find a socket that would work.

What do other home mechanics use? Wondering if it's worth it to buy a genuine drift set as opposed to using wrench sockets. The drifts seem to put equal pressure on both the outer and inner bearing surface--are there advantages to this? The sockets I have only cover outer ring.

As cartridge hubs become more the norm (i have 3 cartridge bearing wheelsets in the garage) I'm wondering if it's worth it to drop the cash on a set...Or, should I simply continue to use the cheap-o wrench sockets?
    Last edited by turbomatic73; 09-03-2012 at 02:27 PM.

pmt
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    A Boca Bearing bearing press kit. It's cheap and is exactly designed for the bearings.