Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Ping279 View Post
    Well what do you know, I don't know how I got the idea of 52 in my mind. I definitely do have the 50/34. I thought that the last time I looked at my bike it said 52/34 for some reason. In that case, looking at a cadence calc I should be right at my comfort zone of 107 in 50x21.
    Now that we've got that all sorted, may I make a suggestion? I really believe in tailoring gears to our physiology and our terrain. Gears are too precious to waste.

I live in gently rolling terrain where any speed over 40mph (down any short steep hill) is very rare and going up such things can be done in 39/25 low gear. I'm old (mid 60's) and average about 4mph less than I did 30+ years ago. I use a Compact with a 39t ring substituted for the 34. I use a rare 14-25 10-spd cassette which, while it loses me an 11, 12 or 13 cog that I would rarely use, it gives me an 18 and a 20 which are used many times on every ride. They are rare on 10-spd cassettes.

34t rings, unless we're in very hilly terrain or we are weak and slow, don't provide many usable gears for flatter terrain. I haven't checked for a while but I think I was maxed out at about 16mph on that ring without extreme small/small cross-chaining. I can use the 39t ring up to about 20mph.

The high gear of 50/14 gives me 35mph (approx) when pedaling flat out. If I need to go faster I'll tuck & freewheel. I'm decades past doing 35mph on flat roads if I was ever there at all.

So what I'm suggesting is that you maximize gear usage and tailor them to your needs.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    If I find a 46t chainring, does it need to say it is 10 speed compatible? I found one that is pretty cheap but says it's 8 and 9 speed compatible.

LC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    No problem, 9 or 10 speed is fine. Just make sure it has shift assist pins/ramps and is not made for single speed. It does need to say 110 BCD to fit.

Your also going to have to lower your front derailleur for the smaller chainring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Before you buy anything, I'd suggest you ride in the 50 ring you have for a while and see how it works out. You haven't really tried it yet because of your misconception about chainline. The 50 might be just fine for you.

I like Mike T's unconventional gearing, though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I definitely will be trying out the 50 for a bit before making any decisions. I do think that I will be taking shorter rides in the beginning though. I normally ride 30 miles but am pretty sure that the added difficulty will allow me to go maybe only 23.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I definitely will be trying out the 50 for a bit before making any decisions. I do think that I will be taking shorter rides in the beginning though. I normally ride 30 miles but am pretty sure that the added difficulty will allow me to go maybe only 23.
    There's no reason there should be any added difficulty. You can get exactly the same gear ratios you've been using, with more shift possibilities to let you adapt to conditions. You might even discover that a slightly slower cadence suits you. Just go with it and see what happens. Don't be afraid to try different stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Well technically I normally ride in 34x15, the 34x14 is something within the last couple rides I have been trying to stay in instead of the 15. That's why I say that it might be a little harder to use 50x21, 19, etc. Anyway, went on a ride today with that combo and it worked out pretty well. The first 5-10 miles were pretty tough but I seemed to get a second wind after that and averaged better speed than usual. Ended up averaging 1-1.5mph faster than I normally do on a 30 mile ride and had many more bursts of speed than average.

I think I might be able to get used to the 50 without having to swap out for a 46. I stayed in the 21 cog most of the time but occasionally switched to 19, 17, or lower.

OT question... I never knew the correct terminology to use when talking about gears. For example, when shifting from 19 to 17, is that shifting up to a higher gear (like a car) or downshifting? Same thing for the front chainrings, the numbers are reversed but do the same rules apply?

A wheelist
    I never knew the correct terminology to use when talking about gears. For example, when shifting from 19 to 17, is that shifting up to a higher gear (like a car) or downshifting? Same thing for the front chainrings, the numbers are reversed but do the same rules apply?
    19 to 17 is upshifting. 17 to 19 is downshifting. 34 to 50 is upshifting. If we're going to a higher, or harder gear it's an upshift. Going to a lower, or easier gear it's a downshift.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    So I have spent some time now riding in the big gear and am definitely used to it now, there is no way I could switch back to the 34. I've been thinking about swapping out my cassette for a 14-25 like Mike mentioned. I'm not racing and don't get much above 25 mph except on hills so the highest gear I ever get to is maybe 15. I'm still going to try and work on some strength training and aim to be riding consistently in the 19 or 17 cog instead of the 21 which might also change some things around.... I did some quick google searches for 14-25 cassettes and found pretty much only ultegra. I did find one that wasn't ultegra and was about half the price. What's the difference between this cassette and the shimano?
    BBB Cassette 10 Speed Campagnolo 14 25

I've noticed that is says it's compatible with campagnolo... does that mean that's its only compatibility?

A wheelist
    I did some quick google searches for 14-25 cassettes and found pretty much only ultegra.
    My 14-25 cassettes are Ultegra.

I've noticed that is says it's compatible with campagnolo... does that mean that's its only compatibility?
    For sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    So what's the difference between the two? I found the BBB cassette in a shimano compatible version for about $15 less. Is it worth spending the extra small amount or are they pretty much the same cassette?

http://www.slanecycles.com/bbb-casse...5-p-21498.html

A wheelist
    So what's the difference between the two? Is it worth spending the extra small amount or are they pretty much the same cassette?
    Wouldn't know; never heard of 'em before.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12