RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Bell helmets - Sweep vs Gage?

Hello,

I have used the Bell Sweep for years and have enjoyed the helmet quite a bit. Good fit! I am wondering how the Sweep compares to the Gage? Has anyone tried the Gage? If so, how do you like it?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I got the Gage about four months ago and I love it. It replaced a well used Ghisallo, so I can't compare it to the Sweep.

I work for a Trek dealer and I wanted the new Bontrager Oracle, but when it came in it just didn't fit my head. Bells fit the shape of my cranium better. Plus the Gage is significantly lighter than the Oracle.

Helmets are a lot like shoes - some brands will fit you better than others.
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    I used the sweep for years and loved it, significant upgrade from mid level bell helmet I used before. Weight and ventilation were significantly better. Last year I upgraded to the volt and thought it was marginally better (again lighter and better ventilation) I have tried on the gage at LBS and fit seems to be the same and is supposed to be lighter and more ventilated than volt. If I needed a new helmet I would buy one but for me they have reached the point of diminishing returns. Versus the sweep I think you would feel some differences but they would be more subtle IMO.