RoadBikeReview Member

Best non disc cross brakes?

So I have a cheep cross bike that I converted to a town bike a few years ago that I want to turn back in to a cross/gravel bike. Whats better V or cantilever brakes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    It depends. Whatever you decide to choose, make sure it matches the cable pull of your levers. Or you risk poor braking with no modulation or grabby brakes. There are pros & cons to both depending on how you plan on using them.

I've been using mine mostly on the road & I find the stopping power of mini-v's very good especially on downhills.

coaster
    TRP CX8.4
    They work great and stay in adjustment. Also look nice and light.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    There's more to it than just v vs Canti as some of each suck and some are good but generally speaking V brakes are stronger. I've read modulation is interior with V but haven't really noticed a difference myself.

You also have to consider clearance. Canti's give you more. But you need to be using pretty massive tires for most V to be a problem so chances are clearance wouldn't be an issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Unless I am mistaken, if you are using road bars with STI shifters, they won't pull enough cable for V-brakes to give you effective braking. So cantilevers are your only option.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've been happy with Avid Shorty brakes with my road levers. They offer lots of adjustment and standard pad holders. They come with 3 different straddle cable lengths that allows you to tailor the brakes to the levers and the type of "feel" that you want.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks guys TRP Vs it is.

Huge in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Unless I am mistaken, if you are using road bars with STI shifters, they won't pull enough cable for V-brakes to give you effective braking. So cantilevers are your only option.
    They make helper pulleys for them. I don't know the ratio of the TRP CX8.4 though, they don't look like the same length of a 'conventional' v brake.
    Interwebs bumpersticker goes here

coaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Here's a table with V-brake arm lengths:
    Tech Tip: V-Brake Arm Lengths – GRAVELBIKE
    There are also 3 different amounts of cable pull depending on what road brake lever you have. Match levers with brakes to achieve the power, snappiness, and rim/pad clearance you desire. I like TRP CX8.4s with Shimano 11spd levers but people with weaker hands may like a 90 or 95mm brake with these levers that pull the most cable of any road brake lever. Of course they'll have less pad clearance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I have Shimano V-brakes of which I forget the model with 5700 levers and Kool Stop pads on my Surly. These brakes work super. Better than my 6800 brakes on another bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    My vote is for Paul Mini Moto's. Same idea as TRP, but much nicer quality and serviceable in the long run.