Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013

Bike with both flat and drop bar?

So I'm looking to buy this bike that has Shimano 3x9 gearing (SLX). I will change the cassette to 8 speed so I can use SRT600 gripshifters (the best ever made) with the bike.

I'm also interested in using the bike with drop bar so I wouldn't have to buy seperate CX bike. Flat bar with bar ends for winter and drop bar for summer is what I'm thinking. Using the stock 9 speed cassette with drop bar and road shifters.

Would this work?

Sora ST-3503 seems to be 3x9 so it should work in theory? I just don't like the cables coming out from the side of the shifters, but I guess 105's can't be used with this setup and there aren't any 3x9 shifters with internal cable routing?

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    why not just flat bar for CX also?
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    It seems like a PITA to change over because you'll then want road shifters I presume on the drops, which probably wont work with those brakes so then you will need different brakes and who knows if they will work with the derailleurs since they aren't even listed on that page for the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbafish View Post
    It seems like a PITA to change over because you'll then want road shifters I presume on the drops, which probably wont work with those brakes so then you will need different brakes and who knows if they will work with the derailleurs since they aren't even listed on that page for the bike.
    Brake levers are Tektro Draco. Rear derailleur is SLX and front derailleur is Deore.

Yes I have to know if the road shifters and brakes would work with the components on the bike before buying. I could possibly buy new brakes too that work with the road levers too if that's needed.

Road shifters, drop bar and new stem sounds a lot better than a second 1000+ bike since if I get the additional CX bike I will get one with 105's. I'm also going to buy a road bike so that's another reason I'm thinking two bar setup for this bike.

Lost in Space...
    I really don't understand why you would want to do this...

But, at least since it has disc brakes, it would be easy to run the bb5 or bb7 road calipers and swap them out seasonally (and just leave the hydraulic flat-bar brakes attached to the handlebars... just be sure to stick a spacer between the pads to maintain pad position when not in use).

I have a Focus Maleta (trekking), great bike for commuting but I wouldn't take it off road. Not sure how it compares to the Planet TR series.

If you don't like the cables coming out of the Sora, you may want to consider a Shimergo setup. Campy 10 has the same cable pull as Shimano 8, so it's a simple swap and you can get Veloce brifters for $100.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by empre View Post
    So I'm looking to buy this bike that has Shimano 3x9 gearing (SLX). I will change the cassette to 8 speed so I can use SRT600 gripshifters (the best ever made) with the bike.
    I'm also interested in using the bike with drop bar so I wouldn't have to buy separate CX bike. Flat bar with bar ends for winter and drop bar for summer is what I'm thinking. Using the stock 9 speed cassette with drop bar and road shifters.
    Would this work?
    Sora ST-3503 seems to be 3x9 so it should work in theory? I just don't like the cables coming out from the side of the shifters, but I guess 105's can't be used with this setup and there aren't any 3x9 shifters with internal cable routing?
    I don't know the difference between gripshifters and why you'd change the cassette instead of buying 9-speed shifters?

You'll have to buy mechanical road brake calipers that will work with the shift/brake levers because the Dracos are hydraulic. Avid, Hayes, TRP will work but make sure you get the road models, not mountain.

Another choice for levers are the MicroShift but they have external shift cables also.

Shift/brake levers, road calipers, bars and tape will cost some bucks; is it really worth it? The great thing about drop bars is that they have so many hand positions; I can't imagine any advantage to switching back to flat bars for any purpose.

If you really must have switchable bars it would be cheaper to go the other way: buy drop bars now and the flat bar/brake levers/shifters are all much cheaper and you'd not have to change the calipers.

How much more does the Mares AX 2.0 Disc cost?
    Last edited by Randy99CL; 07-10-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

What did you say? Huh?
    Brake levers are Tektro Draco. Rear derailleur is SLX and front derailleur is Deore.

Yes I have to know if the road shifters and brakes would work with the components on the bike before buying. I could possibly buy new brakes too that work with the road levers too if that's needed.

Road shifters, drop bar and new stem sounds a lot better than a second 1000+ bike since if I get the additional CX bike I will get one with 105's. I'm also going to buy a road bike so that's another reason I'm thinking two bar setup for this bike.
    You're going to need to buy new brakes (probably) presuming Brifters can be made to work with discs, new shifters, new cables and housings, new bars and probably a new stem....at that point you're almost into the territory of buying a new bike....presuming you do all the wrenching of the conversion yourself and don't need to pay anyone anything in manpower.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by headloss View Post
    I really don't understand why you would want to do this...
    Because in winter the roads are full of snow and its a lot easier and safer to ride with 620mm wide flat bar. Also it's impossible to use road shifters in winter because the temperature is many times below -10C so "mitten" style gloves must be used.

But, at least since it has disc brakes, it would be easy to run the bb5 or bb7 road calipers and swap them out seasonally (and just leave the hydraulic flat-bar brakes attached to the handlebars... just be sure to stick a spacer between the pads to maintain pad position when not in use).
    So I would need to swap out the brake calipers and stem+bar+shifter/brake "package" on the front?

If you don't like the cables coming out of the Sora, you may want to consider a Shimergo setup. Campy 10 has the same cable pull as Shimano 8, so it's a simple swap and you can get Veloce brifters for $100.
    I'm not sure which I disslike more, cables coming from side or thumb shifter Though I haven't tired Campy shifters, only older sora which had thumb shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    You're going to need to buy new brakes (probably) presuming Brifters can be made to work with discs, new shifters, new cables and housings, new bars and probably a new stem....at that point you're almost into the territory of buying a new bike....presuming you do all the wrenching of the conversion yourself and don't need to pay anyone anything in manpower.
    Yeah at least new bar, stem, shifters and bar tape, but it's still a alot cheaper than full bike. I will do all the wrenching.
    Last edited by empre; 07-10-2013 at 01:19 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I guess the best question is what is your motivation for doing this instead of just getting a cx bike. One cx bike could potentially be used for commuting, cx, and road rides depending on how you have it setup and what tires you have on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    I don't know the difference between gripshifters and why you'd change the cassette instead of buying 9-speed shifters?
    Because the 8 speed SRT600 is best gripshifter ever made. I just bought two new pairs (NOS, they are made in 95 or something) last year that I found on ebay

You'll have to buy mechanical road brake calipers that will work with the shift/brake levers because the Dracos are hydraulic. Avid, Hayes, TRP will work but make sure you get the road models, not mountain.

Another choice for levers are the MicroShift but they have external shift cables also.
    External cable is not deal braker, I just dislike how it looks and if possible go with internal routing.

Shift/brake levers, road calipers, bars and tape will cost some bucks; is it really worth it? The great thing about drop bars is that they have so many hand positions; I can't imagine any advantage to switching back to flat bars for any purpose.
    Still not even close to 1000 and for the advangates you can read my last post.

If you really must have switchable bars it would be cheaper to go the other way: buy drop bars now and the flat bar/brake levers/shifters are all much cheaper and you'd not have to change the calipers.

How much more does the Mares AX 2.0 Disc cost?
    As I own the flat bar shifters and grips, I would have to buy the flat bar, brake levers and probably stem for the CX bike. CX bike with Shimano 105 will costs at least 1000 and this bike costs 675 (2012 model). Mares AX 2.0 Disc costs 1200.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    I guess the best question is what is your motivation for doing this instead of just getting a cx bike. One cx bike could potentially be used for commuting, cx, and road rides depending on how you have it setup and what tires you have on it.
    I need flat bar for winter (read my earlier post for more info).

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    I need flat bar for winter (read my earlier post for more info).
    CX races are typically fall & winter events.

So... are you going to switch to drop bar the night before a CX race?
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    CX races are typically fall & winter events.

So... are you going to switch to drop bar the night before a CX race?
    I don't race CX.

Lost in Space...
    So I would need to swap out the brake calipers and stem+bar+shifter/brake "package" on the front?
    I think that would be best if you are stuck with hydraulic brakes to use with the gripshift on the flat-bar setup... you could just keep the brake lever connected to the calipers (with a spacer between pads). You'd have to disconnect the shifting cables from the derailleurs. For the most part, you could keep everything connected as a package (attached to the bars, with the brake calipers hanging from the hydraulic hose). The annoying part would be when you remount the bars and have to get the shifting cables back through the housing on the bike... which probably wouldn't be too bad so long as you solder the ends of the shift-cable rather than use an end-cap.

I understand *why* you want to be able to swap out... but the amount of hassle doesn't seem worth it vs. owning two separate bikes. I use a flat-bar for winter commuting (an older Kona Dew Deluxe). My prediction is that you'll change your mind and get another bike after one or two seasons of constant transferring of parts... but, maybe not. If you are happy with the setup, more power to you.

If you can find a different model with cable-actuated (mechanical) brakes, instead of hydraulic, you could just use a travel-agent instead of needing two different sets of brake calipers.

As far as stems go, you may or may not find you need two different lengths... that will come down to personal preference, of course (assuming both bars are 31.8mm).

Regarding brifter to derailleur issues, also be sure to look at the jtek shiftmate, in order to see other possible combinations. It is also worth considering having a second wheel and just running a 10speed setup when you aren't riding in the winter.
    Last edited by headloss; 07-10-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    I don't race CX.
    so... why did you mention not buying a separate CX bike then? Why can't you just ride a flat bar year-round?

I'm also interested in using the bike with drop bar so I wouldn't have to buy seperate CX bike.

PIITWhat?
    One solution could be to switch to cable-actuated disc brakes, as mentioned. Then use cable quick disconnects (like Ritchey's disconnects) on the brake and shift cables. Have one set for your flat bar and one set for drop bar. If you have your heart set on the grip shift, you can get a set of Microshift 8-speed shifters for the drop bar, to avoid swapping out cassettes when you're converting.

Sounds like a cludge, but that would at least minimize your work when swapping handlebars.

But if control in snowy conditions and cold hands are the only reasons (other than your grip shifters), you can always mount a set of studded tires and bar mitts on whatever drop-bar CX bike suits your fancy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    headloss, thanks for the suggestions. I will read that later again and reply then with my thoughts

so... why did you mention not buying a separate CX bike then? Why can't you just ride a flat bar year-round?
    Because drop bar is better for long distances.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I'm so confused, why do you mention buying a cx bike then? Honestly it's your time and money but it seems to make more sense to me to get a road bike for those longer rides in the summer and a cheaper used bike you can install flat bars on as a beater bike for riding in the winter.

Either that or buy a pair of lobster claw gloves for the winter so you can shift using road shifters and save yourself a couple hundred bucks. If you buy a cx bike with the in-line brakes on the handlebars you can ride from the flat portion of the bar in winter and still be able to brake and just swap tires for summer rides. You won't get the wide handlebars and grip shifters but I think you are honestly asking for too much/being too picky for one bike to do it all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Leave the flat bar, shifters and brake levers. Attach these:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    You won't be able to shift or brake when in the drops though, but certainly the cheapest option.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    I'm so confused, why do you mention buying a cx bike then? Honestly it's your time and money but it seems to make more sense to me to get a road bike for those longer rides in the summer and a cheaper used bike you can install flat bars on as a beater bike for riding in the winter.
    CX bikes usualy have mounting points for rear rack and fenders. Also I'm not going to ride with road bike and 23-25 tires outside hard road surfaces since it's not something I would enjoy. Winter is about 5 months long and I ride 6 times a week so I like to ride with "good" bike in winter too. I don't enjoy riding if I had to ride 5 months with crappy and ugly bike.

Either that or buy a pair of lobster claw gloves for the winter so you can shift using road shifters and save yourself a couple hundred bucks. If you buy a cx bike with the in-line brakes on the handlebars you can ride from the flat portion of the bar in winter and still be able to brake and just swap tires for summer rides. You won't get the wide handlebars and grip shifters but...
    I will skip the gloves. Also 620mm wide flat bar works a lot better in winter than road bar.

...I think you are honestly asking for too much/being too picky for one bike to do it all.
    Yeah could be

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    Leave the flat bar, shifters and brake levers. Attach these:
    I tought about these too but will skip them because of this:

You won't be able to shift or brake when in the drops though, but certainly the cheapest option.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    you should tell that to the endurance mountain bikers.... people like Rebecca Rusch

Lost in Space...
    Marginally better... but not all that important if you don't need to tuck down due to battling wind. I know plenty of cyclists that have gone on touring rides with flat bars. A good bar end (like ergons) will give you all the hand positions you need.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2013
    you should tell that to the endurance mountain bikers.... people like Rebecca Rusch
    Newsflash, mountain bikers prefer flat bars in mountain bike races.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast