RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016

Bike build questions (again)

I was seduced by the eBay price and so now have a new Urbansky frameset coming from Lynskey.

The frame and fork are designed for flat mount disc brakes and I plan to have a wheelset with White T11 hubs built up.The fork is their Endurance carbon model which the Lynskey website states can only accept a 9mm QR.

Is there an adapter for the 9mm skewer that would allow me to use 12mm thru axle hubs front and rear (the rear dropout can accept either a 9mm QR skewer or12 x142mm thru axle)? If not, is it OK to mix the hub sizes or do I need to go 9mm both ends?

This is my first complete bike build, so please excuse the novice questions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I will bow to anyone's superior knowledge, but there is no mixing and matching this stuff. You're just going to end up breaking the dropout, hub or making the wheel move in the dropouts.

Use the correct parts.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    I will bow to anyone's superior knowledge, but there is no mixing and matching this stuff. You're just going to end up breaking the dropout, hub or making the wheel move in the dropouts.

Use the correct parts.
    Cannot emphasize this enough.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    OK, got it - no adapter.

Let me ask a related question: Is the thru axle system superior enough that I should swap out the fork, which can only accept QR, for one that accepts thru axle?

RoadBikeReview Member
    You can run easily run a thru axel on the back and a 9mm QR on the front. There is nothing wrong with either. I wouldn't swap out the front fork just to balance up the axels. Why not just run 9mm on both ends if you have both sets of dropouts for the rear? As this is your first build ask as many questions as you like and there are no bad questions. Finally if you aren't confident pay someone to do it for you. Good luck.

does the T11 come in disc format? T11 — White Industries
    Oh BTW, make sure you get Shimano compatible hubs if you are running Ultegra brakes. CLD — White Industries
    Last edited by kiwisimon; 1 Week Ago at 06:57 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieRN View Post
    The frame and fork are designed for flat mount disc brakes and I plan to have a wheelset with White T11 hubs built up.The fork is their Endurance carbon model which the Lynskey website states can only accept a 9mm QR.
    I don't think that fork is flat mount.

This (https://lynskeyperformance.com/lynskey-endurance-disc/) is not a flat mount. It is an IS.

I don't know whether your frame is actually a flat mount. I am not sure you can convert a flat mount caliper into one of the older mount systems (post or IS/tab).

I also would not expect to be able to buy a group or a package of both front and rear shifters and brakes where the rear is one style (flat) and the front is another (post or IS).

IMHO - I would change my order to a thru axle front fork - and ensure the fork and the frame have the same brake mount systems (e.g., post or flat).

Edit: OP make sure you know the difference (google them) between International Standard, Post mount, and flat mount. Flat mount and International standard (IS) are two completely different standards.

Since your frame and fork are older models, I think they are IS. I don't think they are flat mount. Just check before you buy the brake calipers.
    Last edited by crit_boy; 1 Week Ago at 07:56 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post

This (https://lynskeyperformance.com/lynskey-endurance-disc/) is not a flat mount. It is an IS.

I don't know whether your frame is actually a flat mount. I am not sure you can convert a flat mount caliper into one of the older mount systems (post or IS/tab).

IMHO - I would change my order to a thru axle front fork - and ensure the fork and the frame have the same brake mount systems (e.g., post or flat)..
    He has bought the frame set already with a 9mmQR

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016

I also would not expect to be able to buy a group or a package of both front and rear shifters and brakes where the rear is one style (flat) and the front is another (post or IS).

IMHO - I would change my order to a thru axle front fork - and ensure the fork and the frame have the same brake mount systems (e.g., post or flat).

Edit: OP make sure you know the difference (google them) between International Standard, Post mount, and flat mount. Flat mount and International standard (IS) are two completely different standards.

Since your frame and fork are older models, I think they are IS. I don't think they are flat mount. Just check before you buy the brake calipers.
    Just phoned Lyndskey and you are right, this is a post mount fork/frame. My misunderstanding based on a previous discussion with Lyndskey and thanks for setting me straight.

There was a great online deal on flat mount Ultegra ST-R8020 Shifter/Brakes, so I jumped on it and the order has already shipped. A quick search seems to indicate that Shimano makes an inexpensive caliper adapter for flat to post mount - but maybe I'm reading things wrong?
    https://www.artscyclery.com/Shimano_...DA90160PS.html

In that case, anybody interested in a good deal on brand new, box never even been opened Ultegra shifters & hydro brakes - flat mount of course . . .
    Last edited by CharlieRN; 1 Week Ago at 10:45 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    OK, got it - no adapter.

Let me ask a related question: Is the thru axle system superior enough that I should swap out the fork, which can only accept QR, for one that accepts thru axle?
    For a disc brake bike, I certainly would.
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Just phoned Lyndskey and you are right, this is a post mount fork/frame. My misunderstanding based on a previous discussion with Lyndskey and thanks for setting me straight.

There was a great online deal on flat mount Ultegra ST-R8020 Shifter/Brakes, so I jumped on it and the order has already shipped. A quick search seems to indicate that Shimano makes an inexpensive caliper adapter for flat to post mount - but maybe I'm reading things wrong?
    https://www.artscyclery.com/Shimano_...DA90160PS.html

In that case, anybody interested in a good deal on brand new, box never even been opened Ultegra shifters & hydro brakes - flat mount of course . . .
    That link is for an IS to post conversion.

From your last reply, if your frame has post mounts then you need a post to flat conversion.

Note: the fork in my first reply is not a post mount. So, i am going by the info you got from lynskey that the frame and fork are post mounts. I actually think both are IS. But, i could be wrong.

Type "post to flat" on art cyclery website and you will get a few choices.

Edit: looking back. The results are ambiguous. Clicking the front says it converts a flat fork to post caliper. Clicking on the rear it says it converts a flat caliper to a post frame. So i would Search shimano literature to find the right part numbers or actuallly call and make sure you order the correct part.

Fwiw, i would also call lynskey and change to a thru axle fork. Among other reasons, you are never going to be able to sell a qr front and thru rear combo.
    Last edited by crit_boy; 1 Week Ago at 01:37 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There's nothing wrong with a QR axle on a disc brake bike, I have one now and it works fine. I certainly wouldn't change a fork to to go through axle.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    Lynskey also sells the R240 in a flat-mount disc version as well. I've got the rim brake version myself & I believe that it would make a fine do it all gravel bike if you wanted to. Disc brake forks are easy to come by with the only caveat would be that you would need a tapered 1.25" to 1.5" fork for that frame. Otherwise it is a great riding frame & the welds & build quality are top notch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    There's nothing wrong with a QR axle on a disc brake bike, I have one now and it works fine. I certainly wouldn't change a fork to to go through axle.
    I agree. However, op is buying new frame and fork. Given a choice, i would opt for thru. Ymmv, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree. However, op is buying new frame and fork. Given a choice, i would opt for thru. Ymmv, etc.
    If he hasn't got the frame with the QR fork then yes he should get a thru axel but I thought he already had got the frameset. This thread reminds me of a Litespeed one a few weeks ago. sometimes amateurs shouldn't try and assemble bikes.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    If he hasn't got the frame with the QR fork then yes he should get a thru axel but I thought he already had got the frameset. This thread reminds me of a Litespeed one a few weeks ago. SOME amateurs shouldn't try to assemble bikes.
    ^This^
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    If he hasn't got the frame with the QR fork then yes he should get a thru axel but I thought he already had got the frameset. This thread reminds me of a Litespeed one a few weeks ago. sometimes amateurs shouldn't try and assemble bikes.
    Or at least do more thorough homework before buying all the parts, then being disappointed about incompatibility.
    Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital. -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Russian Troll Farmer
    It's always entertaining watching posts from a guy who's waaaaaay over his head....time for some popcorn!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    It's always entertaining watching posts from a guy who's waaaaaay over his head....time for some popcorn!
    It's not rocket science if a person is mechanically inclined / has experience with the fundamentals of mechanics and some decent tools. Great way to learn more IMHO, there's a wealth of knowledge here to help him out too if he needs it.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    in case anyone else needs a secret decoder ring to understand all this disc brake jargon
    Road Disc Brake Tech: Flat-mount vs Post-mount - Bike Hugger
    Specifically, on whether flat mount brakes can be adapted to post mount (or IS mount) -

"What about fitting flat-mount calipers to post-mount framesets? Think again. No such adapters exist, and if I were you I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for them to appear. Its probably not geometrically possible."

As the article implies, configuring road disc brakes to mix and match fork/framesets can be confusing, especially if you are used to dealing with standard road rim brakes.

The available adapters let you put older post mount brakes on new flat mount frames, even though they may look rather odd or ugly.
    But you are screwed if you want to fit new flat mount brakes on older post mount frames. Which is the more likely scenario if you were an early adapter to road discs.