RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012

Bike tool kit for people with lots of non-bike tools?

I have complete automotive tools but no bike-specific tools, e.g. bottom bracket wrenches.

Does somebody sell a bike tool kit that only contains essential bike tools, and not general stuff like hex wrenches? I'd just buy "a la carte" but kits are usually cheaper.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldbrook View Post
    I have complete automotive tools but no bike-specific tools, e.g. bottom bracket wrenches.

Does somebody sell a bike tool kit that only contains essential bike tools, and not general stuff like hex wrenches? I'd just buy "a la carte" but kits are usually cheaper.
    There are plenty of options - Park, Pedro's etc. You should be able to find the tool kit you'll need.

I'm buying my tools a la carte. From what I've seen of the toolkits available there, most of them have tools I won't need right now, like a BB tool for example. I'm on a tight enough budget with a new bike coming home in a couple weeks that I really can't afford to put money into things I don't need.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I just bought tools as I needed them and have come up with quite a bit of stuff that probably costs about the same as a "kit" but with only the tools that I need and none that I would never use if I had bought a kit. Also note that a lot of the tools that I have don't usually come in kits so they would have had to be purchased anyhow.

Now that I think of it, my tools for automotive related stuff kind of turned out the same way regardless of buying a few kits.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nowadays, bike specific tools depend on the specific bike. In some respects there's standardization than their used to be. I'd recommend buying the specific tools you need when you think you'll need them.

Militant commuter
    Add me into the "buy specific tools as you need them" category. The kits have lots of stuff you may never need (or want).
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldbrook View Post

There's so much variation that you don't want to do that.

For instance, I've owned rear hubs which took a pair of 14mm cone wrenches, ones which take a 17mm cone wrench and 5mm hex key, and ones which take a 2.5mm hex key for pre-load adjustment and disassembly.

I've owned bottom brackets which take a hook spanner + pin spanner and something else on the drive side; ones which used a Campagnolo cassette tool; ones which took a socket with 10 female splines; ones which took 20 male splines; and ones with 16 female splines.

I've owned bikes which took three different sized spoke wrenches.

Buy nice tools as you need them.

A wheelist
    Take it from someone who does all his own work and has a plethora of normal mechanic & workshop tools too - never buy a pre-built kit. Like the others say - there will be too many useless tools in the kit and not enough of the ones you really need. Show me your bike and tell me your level of mechanical skill and I'll tell ya what you really need.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

I vote for I.T.

Like you I have a lot of Automotive Tools. I don't need duplicate cheap allan wrenches, another screwdriver and a bunch of general purpose tools I'll never use. A sears low profile truckers toolbox ($9), some LBS bargains and the fun of purchasing online at significant discounts. You'll still spend $200.00 but you can accumulate all the best tools for your bike over some time if you want.

Not Sorry,

Hank

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    The only automotive tool I was able to use is
    digital torque wrench (10-150 ft lbs) but only for tightening cassette/crank/pedals etc
    1" wrench to loosen cassette.
    metric hex sockets
    rubber mallet

So not really much was useful!! I had to buy a low range beam type torque wrench. It works alot better than the clickers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    If you already a lot of 'general tools' like alley keys, hex sockets, ratchet spanners etc, etc, then what you see above for 'Hanks' toolbox are more of less the 'specialty' stuff you'll need.

Off memory:
    - Cassette tool ( Shimano or Campag Specific)
    - Chain Whip ( DIY is totally possible if you're savvy with some basic tools)
    - Chain cutter ( Rohloff one is fantastically good but very expensive)
    - BB socket ( Pedro's one is good and will work with both SHimano and Campag outboard BB's)
    - Flat hex wrenches ( 13, 14, 15, 17, 19 (if you need this one)
    - Pedal wrench (if your pedal needs it, most only need an Allen key)
    - torque wrench ( for those little screws on stems, seatposts )
    - Cable cutter. ( Get one of similar design to the Park one, there are industrial equivalents at cheaper)

These are the more basic tools for regular maintenance work.

For a full blown installation/stripping/transfer work, you'll need in addition:
    - steerer cutting guide
    - crown race extractor
    - Headset press ( if using press fit headsets)
    - Bearing extractor
    - Starnut install tool
    - m4, m5, m6 thread cutters
    - soldering iron and solder ( electronic groups with custom looms)
    - fine tooth Stainless Steel specific hacksaw blades ( best for cutting carbon )
    - Torx key set
    - c-clip extractor

And hubset specific tools.

Hope its of help there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I decided it would be best to buy the tools one at a time.

The kits seem to contain alot of basic tools that we already have, and then a few specialty tools, for less than the price of the kit, you can buy all the specialty tools you will need.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanks View Post
    Like you I have a lot of Automotive Tools. I don't need duplicate cheap allan wrenches, another screwdriver and a bunch of general purpose tools I'll never use. A sears low profile truckers toolbox ($9), some LBS bargains and the fun of purchasing online at significant discounts. You'll still spend $200.00 but you can accumulate all the best tools for your bike over some time if you want.

Not Sorry,

Hank
    Where's the BFH? It's not a complete kit without one.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    +1 on buy the specific tools you want / need to avoid duplication and unnecessary items that you may never use.