Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    I use the below on my bikes. Can someone explain to me the differences between the 2 greases? I use the Shimaono grease in the threads of the BB and the teflon grease elsewhere (screw threads, bearings).

Use the Loctite 222 (which came with some Festo stuff from work) on small screws in dropouts and jockey wheels.

Your benefits:

Ideal for low-strength threadlocking of adjusting screws, countersunk head screws and set screws
    Good on low strength metals which could break during disassembly, e.g. aluminium or brass

Technical Data:

Maximum thread size: Up to M36
    Strength: Low
    Breakaway torque M10 bolts: 6Nm
    Fixture time steel: 15 min.
    Fixture time brass: 8 min.
    Fixture time stainless steel: 360 min.
    Service temperature range: -55C - +150C

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitts Pilot View Post
    ...just recently, I've found that my removable valve cores in my Continental tubes keep unscrewing when I unscrew the (Lezyne) pump head and they blast across the room. When that happens (and I can find it,) I put some Loc-Tite on, as I don't need them to be removable.
    I hadn't thought of that. My Lezyne pump has done that with the valve cores on my Vitoria tubs. It's a massive f*cking pain in the 'rse when that happens in the middle of gluing a tub.

Repped

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripton View Post
    I hadn't thought of that. My Lezyne pump has done that with the valve cores on my Vitoria tubs. It's a massive f*cking pain in the 'rse when that happens in the middle of gluing a tub.

Repped
    If you read the instructions for your pump you would have known form the start. It's one of the first things in big bold letters. RTFM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS Alpine View Post
    If you read the instructions for your pump you would have known form the start. It's one of the first things in big bold letters. RTFM
    Also an excellent tip but this section would be fairly low on content if we all read the manual before we f@cked things up.

OES
    banned
    Jan 2002
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Post of the year!

Quote Originally Posted by Ripton View Post
    Also an excellent tip but this section would be fairly low on content if we all read the manual before we f@cked things up.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Actually, that's how a thread locker works. Threads are not perfectly round or have perfectly formed peaks and valleys. Loctite and other compounds fill the imperfections. After it's cured, it prevents the screw from rotating. Contrary to what some people think, it isn't a glue.
    Grease actually works in a similar way. Many people think that by using grease the parts might come loose, but the opposite is true. While grease doesn't "cure" like thread lockers, it fills in the gaps & imperfections & has the added benefits of preventing rust & making it easier to disassemble when you need to. Kerry said that nothing falls off his bike. Well that's not quite true for me. I fall off on rare occasions, but I try not to make a habit of it. Maybe I should use thread locker on my ass.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile View Post
    Actually, that's how a thread locker works. Threads are not perfectly round or have perfectly formed peaks and valleys. Loctite and other compounds fill the imperfections. After it's cured, it prevents the screw from rotating. Contrary to what some people think, it isn't a glue.
    Grease actually works in a similar way. Many people think that by using grease the parts might come loose, but the opposite is true. While grease doesn't "cure" like thread lockers, it fills in the gaps & imperfections & has the added benefits of preventing rust & making it easier to disassemble when you need to. Kerry said that nothing falls off his bike. Well that's not quite true for me. I fall off on rare occasions, but I try not to make a habit of it. Maybe I should use thread locker on my ass.
    You know, hitting the quote button is easier than doing Cut and Paste...

Using gease or an anti-seize compound allows fasteners to be properly torqued. That's why they tend not to come loose.
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (steel)
    Full Campagnolo compact drivetrain - Chorus 11sp
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Gobi saddle and bar tape
    BeBop Pedals

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    You know, hitting the quote button is easier than doing Cut and Paste...

Using gease or an anti-seize compound allows fasteners to be properly torqued. That's why they tend not to come loose.
    Yup! That's another reason. Happy that I used the quote button for this one?

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile View Post
    Yup! That's another reason. Happy that I used the quote button for this one?
    It makes it easier to follow where things come from and the accompanying train of thought...
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (steel)
    Full Campagnolo compact drivetrain - Chorus 11sp
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Gobi saddle and bar tape
    BeBop Pedals

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Someplace where I've used Loctite to great effect is on my lawn mower & snow blower handles. Those dang things were always coming loose even if I used grease. They both vibrate like hell. Nice, cushy bar tape keeps my hands from going numb.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12