Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sgc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

Bluetooth Pairing for IOS Shimano E-Tube Project

Shimano has recently introduced an IOS IPad version of the E-tube project for DI2 tuning, however I cant get it to pair with the Ipad. Anybody tried and had any success with this and if so how did you get it successfully paired?

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Do you have the Shimano EW-WU101 D-Fly transmitter? Note that this is their newer version not their older version which did not support Bluetooth.
    Stop caring about other people's FTP and ride your damn bike.

sgc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I've got a D-Fly transmitter, need to check which version (bought in March this year). I wasnt aware that they had changed the model in that time, but if they have that will no doubt be why it isnt working! More expense!!

Thanks

Forever a Student
    You need to buy the new battery with the new brain in it if you want to update your bike wirelessly.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    You need to buy the new battery with the new brain in it if you want to update your bike wirelessly.
    Exactly, they don't make it easy for you...

sgc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    And here I was thinking it would be straightforward! Should have known shimano would'nt have made it that simple. I think I will just stick with the laptop and the wired connections!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    I have the same problem. I bought a ew-wu101 BT unit and do have the new battery, latest etube 3.01 software, all updated firmware and can't get my iPad etube app to see anything. The PC app works fine, sees all devices, but no joy on the iOS device.

I'm about ready to return the d-fly unit and give up.....

Ideas anyone?

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    You have to push the button on the junction for one second to initiate the Bluetooth connection.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    I did. I tried it about 20 times. Rebooted iPad. Turned iPad on first, brought up etube app. Then pressed junction box button for 1 second until red light illuminates. Nothing on iPad.

Set passcode as default "000000" on PC app. Tried setting passcode to "123456" on PC app.

Nothing. Moved 101 module from back of bike.
    (Put it between rear derailleur and 4 port on chainstay as per instructions. Nothing. Put it in front hanging off of one of the 5 ports of EW90:

Nothing.

Beginning to think the BT transceiver may be defective.

There seems to be an LED on the side of the WU101. Or what appears to be. Does an LED illuminate when there's a BT connection?

Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    If the red light comes on in the junction, you've pressed the button too long and put it into adjustment mode instead. It's a fairly quick push.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Thank you goodboyr.

That was it!

Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot2482 View Post
    Thank you goodboyr.

That was it!

Thanks again.
    Great!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2016
    I set up the new EW-WU111 on my bike with the Garmin 820 and my iPhone. It all worked fine until I allowed it to update the firmware. It went to 100% but then said that it failed. Now the Garmin will still connect to it but the E-Tube project app will not as it only returns "incorrect passcode". I've reset the phone, rebooted the phone, tried an iPad instead, removed the EW-WU111, removed it from connected devices in the Garmin, etc. Nothing seems to work to return the passcode to "000000". I had initially changed it when it prompted me and prior to updating the firmware but now it won't accept any passcode. Does anyone know what I can do?

Thank you -

Forever a Student
    Do you also have the new battery? It won't work with the previous ones.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2016
    Yes, it's an all new system. It did work when I first set it up but once I tried updating the firmware it will no longer connect properly. It will show up in the bluetooth device list in the phone and iPad, but the E-Tube app still doesn't recognize it. I have removed it from the device list but it still doesn't allow for a different or default passkey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2016
    I think I'm just going to take it to a shimano service center and let them have at it. It looked like it was going to work but like I wrote, after the initial pairing and subsequent non-update it won't accept any bluetooth passkeys, although it does sparsely connect somehow, randomly, and also with the 820.
    Last edited by m20j; 02-21-2017 at 08:47 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2016

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    This looks to be the only thread that I've been able to find about Di2 passkey issues with the WU101. I upgraded my Ultegra system to EW-WU101 & the new Di battery. When I go into the E tube app on my ipad, I'm able to click on the Bluetooth LE pairing and get the WU101 unit to show up in the list. When it asks for the passkey, I entered 000000 but I get a "passkey incorrect" message box. I've tried every generic passkey that I can think of. No joy.

The unit was purchased from Competitive Cyclist new, so there shouldn't be an issue with the passkey being updated previously.

Anyone have any suggestions?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Try starting with the Bluetooth options on your iPad first. Delete it if it's listed then pair from that end, then go to e tube app.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by RPC1117 View Post
    This looks to be the only thread that I've been able to find about Di2 passkey issues with the WU101. I upgraded my Ultegra system to EW-WU101 & the new Di battery. When I go into the E tube app on my ipad, I'm able to click on the Bluetooth LE pairing and get the WU101 unit to show up in the list. When it asks for the passkey, I entered 000000 but I get a "passkey incorrect" message box. I've tried every generic passkey that I can think of. No joy.

The unit was purchased from Competitive Cyclist new, so there shouldn't be an issue with the passkey being updated previously.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Yes, go to a shop and have them connect with the PC and reset the pass key. Check the first page of this thread - I had the same experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    If you have the internal battery and the charger you can do the passkey reset yourself with the e tube windows software.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    I am having the same problem but am curious if the cause is something different. I have the new D-Fly, along with a new compatible battery, and I know the bluetooth is working because I can see it on my Garmin 820. But I can't sync with the IOS and am wondering if it is my switch. I have an old SM-EW90-B four point junction and there is no button for me to hit. I have tried swithing the gears, as I was told that would wake up the D-Fly, but so far nothing. Any ideas? I would love to be able to get IOS to work as the batter and junction on my tri bike require a fair amount of work to get to. Also, I just tried to connect D-Fly with IOS bluetooth, not with E-Tube, and the Ipad can't see the D-Fly, even after shifting gears. Thank you.
    Last edited by srfarm; 04-01-2017 at 08:14 AM. Reason: clarification

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Delete your bluetooth pairing profile from your iPad and re-do the initial pairing.

This has to to be done any time you update the firmware on the battery and/or wireless unit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by srfarm View Post
    I am having the same problem but am curious if the cause is something different. I have the new D-Fly, along with a new compatible battery, and I know the bluetooth is working because I can see it on my Garmin 820. But I can't sync with the IOS and am wondering if it is my switch. I have an old SM-EW90-B four point junction and there is no button for me to hit. I have tried swithing the gears, as I was told that would wake up the D-Fly, but so far nothing. Any ideas? I would love to be able to get IOS to work as the batter and junction on my tri bike require a fair amount of work to get to. Also, I just tried to connect D-Fly with IOS bluetooth, not with E-Tube, and the Ipad can't see the D-Fly, even after shifting gears. Thank you.
    I have different hardware than you (SC-MT800) so I can't say for certain, but my guess is, yes, it's your junction A.

In order to pair the iPad you have to hit the button on your junction A in order to put the system into pairing mode. The iPad app will NOT see your Di2 system without this step. Just shifting won't work because the system has to be put into pairing mode. The only way I know to do this, per the instruction manual, is to hold down the junction A button.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2017
    Well the new switch solved the problem of bluetooth connection, but created another problem that is a deal breaker. Apparently the swith has a connection limit and because if have two sets of shifters up front, one set on the aero bars, and one set near the brakes, the new switch won't handle it. So despite Shimano's compatability chart telling me that all my gear is compliant, which by the way it did prior to the new switch, and despite having done an upgrade on everything to make sure this wasn't resolved with a later update, I have now spent close to $300 for something I can't use. Not pleased! If anyone has any ideas, besides shelving this idea, I'm all ears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast