RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

Bottom brackets that fix the pressfit 30 issues

It seems that you can't get a decent frame today that doesn't feature this miserable standard. Kudos to the bike industry for eliminating what was a virtually trouble-free, tried and true standard in the English threaded system.

That being said, a few companies have acknowledged the stupidity of the pressfit system and have designed compatible bottom brackets that address many of the problems.

All of these bottom brackets somehow connect the two bearing cups so that they are kept firmly pressed against the faces of the bb shell, and thus they eliminate (or at least reduce) movement of the cups.

These bottom brackets do differ a little.

Wheels mfg makes one where the drive cup is pressed in, and the non-drive cup is screwed into the drive cup. I'm wondering about the wisdom of twisting a metal bearing cup into bb shell that was meant to have bearing cups pressed into it.

The Praxis system is similar to the one above, except use of it on a pf30 frame requires a plastic sleeve around the bb, and I'd like to avoid that.

Hope's bottom bracket has two cups pressed in on either side (with the non-drive bearing not installed), then a hollow shaft is screwed into the non-drive cup and passes through to the drive cup, thus connecting the two cups. Then you press the non-drive bearing into place. This system I think would be trickier to execute without issues.

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

BikerFox Wannabe
    I've used Praxis conversion BB system on multiple frames without any problems. Both PF30 and BB30.

is riding in MOPP4
    In my mind, the problem with press-fit BBs is that they are press-fit. The BBs that fix PF30 problems are threaded BBs--BSA or T47 (native, not retrofit). Even expanding PF BBs like the Praxis conversion are threaded.
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Check my initial post. Securing the bb halves to each other is a great solution. The question is, which way is the best? Hope does it one way (ie with a connecting tube that's screwed into the drive-side cup), and Wheels Mfg has you screw the non-drive cup into the drive-side cup, which also pressed it into the bb shell. Again, I'm not thrilled about the idea of twisting into the bb shell something that should be pressed in straight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by zero85ZEN View Post
    I've used Praxis conversion BB system on multiple frames without any problems. Both PF30 and BB30.
    Have Praxis on my (one and only) frame with zero issues. I agree that there is little point to PF BBs, but Praxis seems to have figured out how to make things work. I guess the frame builders would argue that a bigger BB hanger diameter means a stiffer BB, but the vast, vast, majority of us don't need a stiffer BB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    My only objection to the Praxis is that you must first install a plastic sleeve to use it on pf30 frames.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I have 3 bikes with Wheels Mfg bottom brackets and they have been flawless. I'd highly recommend them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    It seems that you can't get a decent frame today that doesn't feature this miserable standard. Kudos to the bike industry for eliminating what was a virtually trouble-free, tried and true standard in the English threaded system.

That being said, a few companies have acknowledged the stupidity of the pressfit system and have designed compatible bottom brackets that address many of the problems. ... ?
    2 things that the average press fit moaners never seem to get:

(a) You cannot have threads in carbon BB shells. (Bonding/molding in metal insert means replacing one potential issue with another.)

(b) Creaking etc is always and ever attributed to the press fit interface (BB shell / BB) while in reality it may also be due to the spindle / inner bearing race interface (esp. when there is no plastic sleeve).

Nevertheless Praxis Works etc are a good option - if there actually is a BB shell / BB interface issue.

is riding in MOPP4
    Wasp, the best way to fix PF30 is to avoid PF30 in the first place. The second best way to fix PF30 is with a conversion kit. It doesn't matter which conversion you use (Hope, Wheels, Praxis, etc.) as they are all superior to native PF30 and are approximately equivalent to each other. Just buy the one that is lightest, or has the most color options.
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Tachycardic View Post
    Wasp, the best way to fix PF30 is to avoid PF30 in the first place. The second best way to fix PF30 is with a conversion kit. It doesn't matter which conversion you use (Hope, Wheels, Praxis, etc.) as they are all superior to native PF30 and are approximately equivalent to each other. Just buy the one that is lightest, or has the most color options.
    Too bad PF30 has become all but unavoidable on mainline production bikes these days. Even Niner's new 853 steel RLT9 has PF30. WTF.
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Da_Reverend View Post

(b) Creaking etc is always and ever attributed to the press fit interface (BB shell / BB) while in reality it may also be due to the spindle / inner bearing race interface (esp. when there is no plastic sleeve).
    Every instance of a creaking PF style bottom bracket that I have personally had to deal with has always lead back to this if the BB assembly was installed properly. SRAM even makes their PF30 bottom bracket plastic inserts now, just like the threaded Shimano BBs and these have solved all the BB noise issues that were otherwise 'unfixable'. Even then, it's only 2 bikes out of however many I've dealt with over the years. The movement left witness marks on the spindles in both cases. It looked like the spindle was flexing or warped and wearing unevenly in the bearing races.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Probably six bikes and 15k plus miles over the last few years and I've never had a creak in a PF30 BB.

I've used either Praxis or Wheels MFG BB/Adapters in all of my bikes that have PF30 interfaces. They both work well, although if I had a choice I'd choose the Wheels MFG.