RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014

Brake cable ferrules.

Swapped out my brake calipers as I had a house brand that looked to be FSA. I installed Shimano 105 BR-5800 calipers and was surprised that the brake cables with ferrules which nested down inside the house brake barrel adjuster don't fit down into the Shimanos.

My only choice was to remove the ferrules and insert the cables directly into the 105's adjusting barrels. I fail to see how any other ferrule that would fit the cables, would also fit down into the adjusting barrel.

Any thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ferrules are not used on cable end going into the caliper or lever. They should only be used when there's casing break in the middle.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_rider View Post
    Ferrules are not used on cable end going into the caliper or lever. They should only be used when there's casing break in the middle.

Ferrules are not used on the HOUSING with Shimano shifters or brakes. They are used w/ both SRAM levers and brakes.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Neither Shimano or Campy uses casing ferrules in the brake calipers for good reasons. Ferrules tend to mush up lever feel and can trap moisture that leads to other issues. Surprised to see SRAM's setup.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    Swapped out my brake calipers as I had a house brand that looked to be FSA. I installed Shimano 105 BR-5800 calipers and was surprised that the brake cables with ferrules which nested down inside the house brake barrel adjuster don't fit down into the Shimanos.

My only choice was to remove the ferrules and insert the cables directly into the 105's adjusting barrels. I fail to see how any other ferrule that would fit the cables, would also fit down into the adjusting barrel.

Any thoughts?
    You don't use ferrules at the brakes. That adjustment thing pretty much functions also as a ferrule itself so no need for them.

I've never used non-shimano calipers but apparently they make the knob hole wider so you can fit a ferrule in. Fine but it serves no purpose other than creating the need for them to get a snug fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Interesting variances that I didn't know about. I recall always using ferrules with Campagnolo and with Suntour Superbe Pro. Recently, I replaced my Campy Ergo 8 cables with a Jagwire Race set and those too included ferrules going into the brakes.

My Bianchi was equipped with Shimano 105 but had house-brand Reparto Corse calipers. These too used ferrules and the barrel adjusters had the diameter to fit them. So when I replaced with the BR-5800 calipers, I had to pull off the ferrules to fit the cables into the Shimano barrel adjusters.

Frankly, I think ferrules mitigate against a mushy feel to the brakes when using just cables, but I agree with Jay's statement that the barrel adjuster itself is acting as a ferrule.

It's pretty simple...if they fit, use ferrules. If they don't fit, obviously don't use them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks, Cx. That's the best way to look at it. Funny how the house-brand caliper, to work with a Shimano groupo, had ferrules but Shimano calipers do not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    One last thing. Don't understand how the Jagwire Pro brake kits instruct you to install an open end cap (ferrule) where the cable enters the caliper.

Maybe it's because they market the kit for SRAM/Shimano.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jagwire's cable housing has a different construction than standard ones. Ferrules are required to keep the ends from blowing out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    That makes me wonder if Jagwire brake cable is smaller diameter than Shimano and/or their ferrules are ultra-thin when compared to the average metal ferrules.

That makes me wonder if Jagwire brake cable is smaller diameter than Shimano and/or their ferrules are ultra-thin when compared to the average metal ferrules.
    You mean housing. It's the same (5.0mm) as everything else. Brake ferrules are already really thin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    So clearly you wouldn't be able to use their "open end caps", ferrules with Shimano calipers either?

So clearly you wouldn't be able to use their "open end caps", ferrules with Shimano calipers either?
    Nope.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Just to simplify things: Ferrules are used to fill space. If there is no space, there is no need for a ferrule.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"