Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Brake Caliper Help

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mpcbike 
#1 ·
I have Shimano brake calipers on my Cannondale Six13 and when I brake the front caliper does a great braking but it isnt return all the way back when released. It releases slightly but not to the orginal open position. On the repair stand you can see it sticking and you have to use your fingers to get it to fully open position.

What can I do to fix this?

#3 ·
Diagnostics

Kontact gave you the list of fixes, but you can narrow down the problem by disconnecting the brake cable and squeezing the caliper by hand. If it springs back easily, then the problem is with the cables (frayed, dirty, bent, damaged housing, etc.). If it doesn't spring back, then the problem is with the brake (dirty, gummed up, no lube in pivots, pivots too tight).

#4 ·
Actually, if it's an older brake, the bushings in the brake itself could have worn/gotten dirty/seized etc etc. If this is the case, you can completely take it apart, clean everything as well as you can, lube it with grease and put it back together. It's simple to do, need a few small allen wrenches and a bit of time. Order of taking it apart doesn't really matter & just be very carefull that you put it all back the same way it came apart. I've brought many an old dual pivot brake back from the trash bin this way. You may even be able to find exploded diagrams on shimano tech docs page.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.