Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake pads

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011

Brake pads

I have Tektro brakes on my Cannondale Synapse what style of pads do I need and what should I get for pads? I live in area that has mountains and lots of hills. I see pads that are compatible with Shimano or Campagnolo and I am not sure about the Tektro.

Thanks
    Brian

Militant commuter
    Shimano-style pads. You'll get a lot of positive feedback about Koolstop "salmon" pads...they rock! Of course, if you're running carbon rims you want to stick with the pads recommended by your rim manufacturer.
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I'm a big fan of Kool Stop Salmons too.

There is one decision left to make. Sort of. Inexpensive brakes sometimes come with a pad with a post sticking out of it. The whole thing is installed or removed as a unit. If you have that, make sure you get the holders too when you get your kickass new brake pads.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    ^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hows the wear life on the Koolstop pads?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    IME, about the same as every other brake pad. I don't keep brilliant records of this stuff and it's pretty subjective. But, that's how it seems to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newnan3 View Post
    Hows the wear life on the Koolstop pads?
    I've been using them, and their predecessors (Scott Matthauser, which originally developed the pad compound) for almost 40 years. They last a long time, and they work very well. And they're not expensive.

Get one of the models that have the spherical washers, which allow easy adjustment of the precise angle.
    This one

is better than this one

Kool Stop Salmon Brake Pads for Bicycles from Harris Cyclery

RoadBikeReview Member
    My favorites are Kool-Stop salmon. You can get them with holders, or as inserts only. Your LBS should be able to steer you towards the right ones for your particular calipers.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    The best brake pad compound for aluminum rims is Swisstop Green but I'm not sure that they make a version for canti's.

Pitts Pilot
    Dec 2011
    When you say Swisstop Green is best for aluminum, do you mean braking performance or rim wear or both or other? They're pretty pricey, but if my rims will last longer, I'm all for it. I do LOADS of steep, wet braking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I was mainly refering to braking performance both wet and dry. I haven't noticed any issues with increased rim wear and the manufacturer claims that the green compound is easy on rim surfaces.

RoadBikeReview Member
    7900 Dura-ace pads are very good for aluminum wheelsets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfend View Post
    +1

Pitts Pilot
    Dec 2011
    I recently switched from the Dura-Ace pad, which I liked just fine, to the Yokozuna Scott-Matthauser. I find them much the same in dry conditions, but much better on my frequent, wet descents. And they're only $7.00.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Im interested in trying the salmon kool stops because Ive always heard great things about them.

My 105 pads seem to be holding up fine for now however.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfend View Post
    Does anyone know if Shimano made a composition change in the 7900 pads compaired to the 7800 pads?

The reason I ask - I found the 7800 pads to be WAY inferior to the Kool Stop Salmon pads on aluminium rims, but would be willing to try the 7900 pads if improved.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old'n'slow View Post
    Does anyone know if Shimano made a composition change in the 7900 pads compaired to the 7800 pads?

The reason I ask - I found the 7800 pads to be WAY inferior to the Kool Stop Salmon pads on aluminium rims, but would be willing to try the 7900 pads if improved.
    7900 pads use a different material. Also, the older 7800 pads went through two iterations, and the later versions were better, especially under wet conditions. But, I find the 7900 pads are a little better than the older 7800's. I use the 7900's now on both my older Shimano and newer shimano brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    Generally Shimano pads are too hard and harden with age.
    My Campy pads were excellent when new but have gradually hardened with age.
    I like Koolstop salmon pads best of any I've tried.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There has been much talk about Kool Stop Salmon pads in this thread, and others. Does anyone know the difference between the salmon and black. I know that the packaging shows the black for dry and salmon for wet, but what is the difference in compound and experience? Is salmon softer? Does it wear faster?

I live in a dry area, and am not macho enough to ride in wet conditions if I don't have to, so are blacks good enough or salmons superior regardless of condition?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by thalo View Post
    There has been much talk about Kool Stop Salmon pads in this thread, and others. Does anyone know the difference between the salmon and black. I know that the packaging shows the black for dry and salmon for wet, but what is the difference in compound and experience? Is salmon softer? Does it wear faster?

I live in a dry area, and am not macho enough to ride in wet conditions if I don't have to, so are blacks good enough or salmons superior regardless of condition?
    The salmon pads are softer and brake better. I can't tell that they wear any faster but I'm not a long time user of the salmon pads. In my experiences the Koolstop black pads are softer than Shimano's but the salmon pads are much softer than either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LePatron View Post
    The best brake pad compound for aluminum rims is Swisstop Green but I'm not sure that they make a version for canti's.
    Green is for ceramic braking surfaces. But they can be used. I love Swiss stop blacks
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    My favorite and best pads I have used for Dry/Normal conditions is Swiss Stop Black compound. Swiss Stop Green are also for aluminum rims but Ceramic coated ones or wet conditions. But may be used on regular aluminum, but might wear the rims a bit.

Swiss Stop Yellow is the best for Carbon rims and can be used for switching between carbon and aluminum braking surfaces too.

Now wet or off road conditions, nothing beats Koolstop Salmon pads. Hands down work awesome on wet rims!
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012

Talking Which is better !!

Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I've been using them, and their predecessors (Scott Matthauser, which originally developed the pad compound) for almost 40 years. They last a long time, and they work very well. And they're not expensive.

Get one of the models that have the spherical washers, which allow easy adjustment of the precise angle.
    This one

is better than this one

Kool Stop Salmon Brake Pads for Bicycles from Harris Cyclery
    I have MAVIC AKSIUM alliminum which pads you think is the better for me I ride on rain ! Got shimano 105 on my 11"Scott team !!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    I sow koolstop salman with black !! Will this be good or just salmon !!! Which is better for alloy rims swisstop or koolstop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast