RoadBikeReview Member

Buy individual tools, or a cheap kit?

Have a chain breaking tool and a torque wrench, thats it. Bought new wheels and want to try and install them myself. I know I need a chain whip and the cassette lock ring tool. I want to learn how to do as much as I can myself, and most likely get a workstand.

Should I just buy the tools I need as I need them and buy Park or better tools?

or

Should I buy a cheap kit?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcmkx2000 View Post
    Have a chain breaking tool and a torque wrench. Bought new wheels and want to try and install them myself. I know I need a chain whip and the cassette lock ring tool. I want to learn how to do as much as I can myself, and most likely get a workstand.

Should I just buy the tools I need as I need them and buy Park or better tools?

or

Should I buy a cheap kit?
    I'm a newbie and will add on if I may - what all tools should someone have to be able to work on your bike? I'm like the OP in that I want want to learn how to do as much as I can.

A cheap kit has cheap tools. Cheap tools suck ass. They also tend to destroy things.
    Buy quality tools as you need them.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Don't buy a kit, especially not a cheap one. Not only might the quality be poor but you'll likely be getting some tools that you'll never, or almost never use. I suggest buying good quality tools, e.g. Park, one or two at a time as needed. Your collection will grow quickly enough & you won't have any tools you don't use. BTW, IMO/IME one of the very 1st things you should buy is a decent repair stand. One stand will last you a lifetime.If you need it to last longer than that, maybe consider buying 2. I have a Park repair stand & I can't even tell you how old it is. Maybe it's 30+ years. LOL! The paint still looks good.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    A cheap kit has cheap tools. Cheap tools suck ass. They also tend to destroy things.
    This.

Never, ever buy crappy tools. You'll only have to buy better quality tools when the crappy ones die.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Exactly. I've accumulated good tools over the years and they've held up well.

On the other hand, there is no way I could justify some tools so if I need a headset installed I'll let the LBS handle it.

Bottom bracket and crank tools change periodically so be sure to get the right tool when you need it.

Instead of a chain whip you might consider one of these - PEDRO'S USA - Total Bicycle Care | Vise Whip

At any rate, get good tools.

First one home gets beer
    NO CHEAP TOOLS. I have a couple of Park tools, plus a Hozan or two that are entering their third decade of service. I've built well over 100 bikes in my basement/garage/front stoop since I learned bike repair in about 1982, and my tool kit has grown as I needed the tools for specific projects.

Militant commuter
    Quote Originally Posted by MerlinAma View Post
    Exactly. I've accumulated good tools over the years and they've held up well.

On the other hand, there is no way I could justify some tools so if I need a headset installed I'll let the LBS handle it.

Bottom bracket and crank tools change periodically so be sure to get the right tool when you need it.

Instead of a chain whip you might consider one of these - PEDRO'S USA - Total Bicycle Care | Vise Whip

At any rate, get good tools.
    +1 for the Pedro's Vise Whip. LOVE that tool!!!
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have some gc's and points from Performance...so what about thier Pro G3 workstand?

Uber Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcmkx2000 View Post
    I have some gc's and points from Performance...so what about thier Pro G3 workstand?
    I've been using a pro g3 stand for about 4 years now.
    I like it.
    Great thing is it has lots of adjustability.
    Once you get it all unpacked and setup, go over each screw and tighten them up a tad.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    More of the same here ... buy good tools as you need them.

For the wheels, get a chain whip (they're all pretty much the same), a cassette lock ring tool and a set of vise grips from the hardware store. Vise grips are great for holding the lock ring tool. I don't know why they don't make these things with handles.

While at the hardware store, pick up a nice set of metric hex wrenches. Hell, get two sets -- they're half the price that the LBS charges and probably better quality.

A pedal wrench is nice to have. The longer the better.

Get a nice workstand. I use mine all the time, mostly for cleaning the bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Individual Tools

For sure...do you really need another phillips screwdriver and some crummy old hex keys?

Hank

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Can't be said better. I made the mistake of buying one of those cheap-O kits. Only the cone wrenches and BB puller are still good, mostly because they are never used. The rest of it wore out after 3-4 uses. Slowly replaced it with quality (re: park, pedros, etc.) stuff.

Buy quality stuff once. It will save you money in the long run.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    As said,
    NO CHEAP TOOLS
    If you want a bargin, go to a swap meet, or Craigs list. But buy good stuff their.

Park Tools will last you many bike life times.

Lenzyne just came out with a line of shop type tools. I love their stuff.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.