Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

Which Cable Cutters?

I am tired of ruining a cable because of having to cut off the crimped end, and the cable fraying, and would like to add a cable cutter to my wishlist.

I did a quick search, and found other solutions for the end of the cable like super glue, heat shrink, and solder, but what brand of cable cutter would you recomend, so that I get a good initial cable cut, and for cutting housings without collapsing them?

I have seen the Pedros, Park, Jagwire, and Shimano. Has anyone used more then one of these, and can say that they like one more then the other. Cost wise they are pretty close except for the Shimano ones are almost twice as much. Are they twice as good? I kinda like the Jagwire ones, because they have an awl built in for spreading the end of the housing if you need to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    The Park cutters are good for the money.

Dr. Flats a lot

Shimano

I've been using mine for around twenty years. Use it for the housing and the cable. Nothing else.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Felco C7 wire cutters are suggested in the latest issue of VeloNews.

eRacer
    If you Super Glue the cable end before cutting, any good cutter will work and the cable will not unravel.
    Cable housing I cut witl a rotary tool like the Dremel.
    John Lapoint / San Diego
    God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MerlinAma
    Felco C7 wire cutters are suggested in the latest issue of VeloNews.
    Holy Cow! Those things are big bucks.... I am thinking more in the $20-$30 range. I bet they are nice though. I just cant justify that cost for something I may use only a few times a year.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Felcos are well worth the money. They will make you smile every time you use them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    I have the park CN-10 at home and i have used the latest shimano one at work. They both work the same. When i got the park, it was noticeably cheaper - and yes, i'd do it again.

You are right, u need something quality enough to do the job properly, but only maybe twice a year. Park CN-10 is great for that. Be careful with which park or shimano you buy, there were bad versions of both IIRC.

Rub it............
    At work, I use the Park cable cutters. At home I use Knipex. And I have 2 pair. lol

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...65724&PMT4NO=0
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

jonstringer
    Oct 2009
    I vote park. That's what we use in our shop on 3 or 4 bikes a day, and they work well. If the cut is ever less than perfect, I use a table grinder to smooth out the edges. You can use a drill and grinder bit. That's what I do at home. Another great thing about park is that e
    veryone carries them. If they break, getting them replaced under warranty will be easy.

Festina Lente'
    Park.

Pedros 'looks' good. Never used it though.
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Park...I had some Pedros and did not like them. The Park's will last a lifetime...it's important when you cut cables to make quick, hard cuts or you will fray the cable ends..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    SHIMANO! Twenty years for mine. Still making clean cuts.

Old, slow, and fat.
    Quote Originally Posted by zoikz
    I've been using mine for around twenty years. Use it for the housing and the cable. Nothing else.
    +1 I even bought another pair 'cause I thought mine were wearing out. Used em a few times, then they went back in the box in the toolbox

I've used most of the cutters out there in one shop or another I've worked in. Shimanos are still my favorite.

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Felco--will last a lifetime

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski
    Felco--will last a lifetime
    For truth. I have worked in shops that had some that were older then me by a good bit and still cut better then some new cutters.
    All the knowledge in the world is of no use to fools.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I guess I'm the odd man out here. I bought cable cutters from Nashbar about 20 years ago. They work very well, and are still like new. One of the things I considered when I bought them was how much I was going to use them. I have 3 bikes and ride ~ 7,000 mi./year. In an average year I replace a cable or two. If I owned a bike shop I'd opt for the Felcos or the Parks. But for 2-3 cables per year...............
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

What? Me worry?
    I use a Roto-Zip with a right angle attachment and a metal cut-off wheel for both cables and housings. Cuts very cleanly and does not compress housings. $99 at Home Depot and has many other uses.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Dremel + cut-off disc. Like a hot knife thru butter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002
    I've had a Shimano since 1997 and it's been working flawlessly for me so far. I bought a set of the Spin Doctor from Performance a year or so ago and it has worked fine also..don't know about the long term with those.

But I've wanted a set of Felcos for a while :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    I've had them for many years...they are a pleasure every time I use them.

Both good tools and bad tools can last a lifetime...the good ones make you smile though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    I've been wrenching bikes for 23 years now - if you appreciate quality tools, Shimano is the way to go in the mid-price range. More of a precision tool than the Park. Works perfectly on derailleur housing, but none of them work great on spiral brake housing (cut-off wheel best for that).

Anything Felco makes is beyond comparison, but it's overkill for your application. I do love the fact that they are still Swiss made and of the highest quality, when so many once reputable makers of hand tools have cheapened their product over the years (anybody remember when Facom was top of the heap? Not anymore. Even Craftsman of yesteryear was very nice).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Felco's will be passed on to your kids...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I find the Park works great for brake cable housing but not so much with derailleur housing. Doesn't make a clean cut clear thru. And mine while 15 years old really haven't seen that much use.
    Humbug!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread but, I ended up getting the Park cutters, and now sometimes on derailleur cables it takes two tries to cut all the way through. Is this typical, or should I see about getting it warrantied?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast