Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Camp Xenon (07)?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  cs1 
#1 ·
Anyone have experience with Campy Xeon?

It will go on the rain/trainer/baby hauler. Time to ride myself on ShimaNO.

It less than $300 @ Probikekit. Or go Mirage for $100 more. Try to save money on this one. I ride Chorus/Record (RD only).

I guess Xeon is on par with Tiagra? Mirage 105?

#2 ·
Don't know about the rest of the parts, but according to the Campy spare parts diagram, the internals of the new Xenon shifters are the same as Mirage, Veloce, and Centaur. The levers differ since they're made of plastic vs. Al or carbon, but everything else looks the same. I think in previous years Xenon shifters had a different design from other lines, but this doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

#3 ·
Thanks. Not sure on the platic lever though...
Maybe I will get the Xeon stuff with Mirage levers...

#5 ·
Yeah, a buddy went cheap and got Xenon. OMFG, the levers are scary. Plastic flexy stuff, and also can't do the multiple-upshift thing. It really is Euro-Sora.

The brakes stopped the bike. Eventually. Kind of like the avid cantilevers on my cross bike.

Derailleurs seemed okay.

You just said "time to ride myself on shimano." Do you mean "RID myself OF shimano?"

#6 ·
Argentius said:
Yeah, a buddy went cheap and got Xenon. OMFG, the levers are scary. Plastic flexy stuff, and also can't do the multiple-upshift thing. It really is Euro-Sora.
As I understand it, only Chorus and Record can do multiple upshifts with the 2007 series of components. All the others can do single upshifts and double downshifts, but that's it. (I've read elsewhere that only Record will do it, but the diagrams seem to indicate that Chorus uses the same design; the different design is for Centaur and lower.)

#8 ·
Argentius said:
yeah, I've read that Centaur / Veloce / Mirage downgrade their shifter mechanism to Xenon's for '07.
I checked the diagrams again, hoping that there was some sort of "upgrade" to the mechanisms, but alas, you're right: they all inherited the shifting system directly from Xenon 9s. It is a significantly simpler system, so hopefully they'll at least have the benefit of better reliability (ie., no broken G-springs). I wonder if it'll also bring down the price. Probably not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.