RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012

Campagnolo 10-speed compatibility

I'm running 10-speed Record (c. 2008) on my spare bike. It currently has a compact crank on it (50-34), and I want to run a wider (12-28) cassette. (Going on a mountain trip, and need some climbing gears.) The current short cage Record derailleur can't handle the range. So, I think I need a medium cage for it. I'm loathe to spend ~$400 on a new Record rear derailleur for it. Any sense of whether some of the newer, 10-speed Campagnolo medium cage rear derailleurs will be compatible, e.g., Centaur, Veloce? Thanks in advance for your help/advice!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018
    Arise thread! And hi.

How did this work out for you?

I'm in a roughly similar situation, in that I've got a similar-era Campy 10s Record setup but my RD is potentially out-of-commission (long story). I'd like to just throw a duplicate Record RD on there but I'm not sure I can justify the cost. I have read around, e.g. the Branford Bikes knowledge base, other forums, etc., and get the sense that I could probably use a 10s Veloce of similar vintage and be fine, but I can't find anything definitive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Hi there, I hunted and I hunted for a medium or long-cage 10s Record, but the prices were very very high. So, I just bought a similar vintage 10s Veloce on eBay. I haven't installed it yet, but fingers crossed it will work out. All the research I did said that the Veloce from the same time period will work, but that newer Veloce (with the funkier logo, when they also made it black) will not. Plus, the seller himself said he had it on Record 10s, so that's a pretty good bet, although you never know how much shift sloppiness other people are willing to put up with! As I said, I can't confirm compatibility, but have high hopes. Once I've installed it, I'll post a follow up.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by muraii View Post
    Arise thread! And hi.

How did this work out for you?

I'm in a roughly similar situation, in that I've got a similar-era Campy 10s Record setup but my RD is potentially out-of-commission (long story). I'd like to just throw a duplicate Record RD on there but I'm not sure I can justify the cost. I have read around, e.g. the Branford Bikes knowledge base, other forums, etc., and get the sense that I could probably use a 10s Veloce of similar vintage and be fine, but I can't find anything definitive.

Banned forever.....or not
    A friend of mine is using a 13-29 cassette with a 53x39 with a standard Record 10 speed rear derailleur.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Matnlely Dregaend
    I run a 50/34 compact with a 12-28 cassette on my travel bike, no problems with my 10 speed Centaur derailleur. I guess it depends on your frame and derailleur hanger.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody