Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Campagnolo cup and cone bottom bracket

So I'm installing a C record bottom bracket on my bike. The adjusting cup has 9 mm of exposed threads with everything snug so the non drive side sticks out 9mm more than the drive side. Does this make sense?

Thanks

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Since you can't have any threads sticking out on the drive side I guess it is what it is as long as the bearings are adjusted properly.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Not what I recall from working on my Bianchis before cartridges.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    After thinking about it maybe it does make sense. The chainring side of the crank must be thicker so the arm is a certain distance from center. The 9 mm evens it out. We'll see once I get the crank.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd check spindle length. From memory it needs to be 111 mm.

If what you have does not work out, then a good substitute is a modern Centaur square taper BB. Campagnolo Centaur Bottom Bracket - Bottom Brackets - Ribble Cycles
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Why wouldn't you just use a cartridge? Sure wouldn't want to deal with at fixed cup, if I didn't have to.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    So I'm installing a C record bottom bracket on my bike. The adjusting cup has 9 mm of exposed threads with everything snug so the non drive side sticks out 9mm more than the drive side. Does this make sense?
    is the spindle asymmetrical? ensure you have the spindle installed properly.

the adjustable cups on my record bb's show more like 5mm of exposed threads for the lockring to secure to. will you use a lockring as well?

Quote Originally Posted by GKSki View Post
    Why wouldn't you just use a cartridge?
    because cup and cone bb's work great, especially campy ones​.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Yes my spindle length is 111 mm, 70 SP. Everything appears correct as sizing goes so it must be to make up for th crank. As I say. I'll have to wait until I get a crank and fit it and see.

a real member's member
    is your bb in this velobase list?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Here's what it looks like. I'm going to take it apart tomorrow and really look at it.
    Campagnolo cup and cone bottom bracket-img_0680.jpg
    I'll take a bunch of measurements.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    You're going to need a lock ring but it's not going to take up that many threads.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Is that RD cable going to be going through the chainstay? Interesting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Something isn't right based on that photo. Normally, the lock ring ends up pretty close to the outer face of the NDS cup. It looks like the BB is too long for the BB. It will certainly work, but your feet won't be centered over the frame. What is the width of the BB shell?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by RHankey View Post
    Something isn't right based on that photo. Normally, the lock ring ends up pretty close to the outer face of the NDS cup. It looks like the BB is too long for the BB. It will certainly work, but your feet won't be centered over the frame. What is the width of the BB shell?
    Wrong. The width of the bearing surfaces on all sizes of axles will be the same, because all bottom bracket shells are the same width...Italian is @ 70.0mm, BSA is 68.0mm. Since this frame is Italian thread it should have the widest bearing seat dimension. A 107, 111, 113...whatever...they'll all have the same dimension for the part of the axle that's actually inside the frame. Only the outer part w/ the flats is longer. It does look like something is messed up here, but I'd have to see the frame & bottom bracket to figure it out.

ETA:

As overall length 'D' changes it's because 'A' & 'C' get longer, 'B' always remains the same.

Name:  spindle.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  7.7 KB
    Last edited by cxwrench; 04-09-2017 at 08:18 AM.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Yes the RD cable passes through the chain stay.
    I'm beginning to question the bearings. I'm going out right now to take some measurements.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Are the bearings in cages? Do you possibly have the cages in reversed?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flattire View Post
    this. Maybe chase the threads too. The cup should be further in.

There is no other lockring. WYSIWYG.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening

One.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flattire View Post
    This would be my question also.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    The bearings were installed correctly. It really looks like the bearings are the wrong size for this application. They are larger, thus not allowing everything to seat correctly causing the offset.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    The bearings were installed correctly. It really looks like the bearings are the wrong size for this application. They are larger, thus not allowing everything to seat correctly causing the offset.
    Larger? Campy BB bearings are 1/4". How big are your bearings such that you have displaced the adjustable cup by that much?

The crank axle should be marked as follows: 70-SS-120 with a total length of 113 mm. There exists a 74-SS-120 axle with a total length of 117 mm. It seems most likely that you got one of the axles for a 74mm BB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    I think it's time to provide us the actual A, B, C & D measurements of your BB, and the actual BB shell width. That will quickly uncover where the problem is.

I am aware of BB's made with B=52, 55 and 58mm, and I believe there have been some other rather non-standard dimensions over the years. I've also come accross BB shells that have been quite a bit off from 68, 70 and 73mm English, Italian or French specs. A long B dim in a undersized BB shell could easily result in what you are seeing.

Installing caged bearings the wrong way around would certainly result in the cups sticking way too far out, but I'm pretty sure you'd have realized something was wrong when the BB didn't rotate very well. The cups should not have gone down the spindle as far as it appears they have if you used balls that were too large. If you are in doubt about the balls or cages, take the BB out, clean out all grease, and slide one cup with balls onto the BB and see if the balls are seating on the BB race.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Larger? Campy BB bearings are 1/4". How big are your bearings such that you have displaced the adjustable cup by that much?

The crank axle should be marked as follows: 70-SS-120 with a total length of 113 mm. There exists a 74-SS-120 axle with a total length of 117 mm. It seems most likely that you got one of the axles for a 74mm BB.
    Are you sure??

These sure don't look like 1/4"

And my fair amount of research and experience indicates that 111 mm was correct, although I'm sure 113 mm will work

Campagnolo cup and cone bottom bracket-campagnolo-c-record-bottom-bracket-english-cups.jpg

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    The shell is 70 mm, The axle is a 70sp. The bearings that came with the bottom bracket are 11 to a set where as what should be with this axle are 14 to a set. The bearings are about at least 1 mm larger which doesn't allow them to seat in the races causing the miss alignment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    The shell is 70 mm, The axle is a 70sp. The bearings that came with the bottom bracket are 11 to a set where as what should be with this axle are 14 to a set. The bearings are about at least 1 mm larger which doesn't allow them to seat in the races causing the miss alignment.
    It sounds like the BB shell and spindle are fine. Something sounds odd about what you say with the balls. From my memories, Campy cup & cone BB's all used 11 caged 1/4" balls. Sounds like that aligns with Kerry's response, and also matches bikerjulio's picture too. Can you provide us the size of a ball?

Edit - I just did a bit of googling, and have found references to some Campy cup/cone BB's using 3/16" balls. Looks like Super and C-Record may have used 3/16", while Record and lower used 1/4". Just goes to show how much I've forgotten over the years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    All I know is that C Record has 14 balls to a set and their size is 7/32", so just a hair over the 3/16".
    I'm returning the BB and I have another one which I believe is correct on the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast