Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005

Campagnolo Pricing...

Road Bike Groups and Upgrade Kits

Interesting information which contradicts the "crazy expensive" notion that people have about Campagnolo...

Campagnolo Super Record 8-piece (11sp) $2575
    Campagnolo Record 8-piece (11sp) $1989
    Campagnolo Chorus 8-piece (11sp) $1360
    Shimano Dura-Ace 9000 8-piece (11sp) $2199
    Shimano Ultegra-G 6700 8-piece (10sp) $1089
    SRAM New Red 8-piece (10sp) $2199
    SRAM Force 8-piece (10sp) $1039

Note that all these are mechanical groups. The highlighted groups are the ones that are actually in competion with one another. Super Record was NOT intended to compete with Dura-Ace. It was intended to be something above.

It's entirely possible that one can find lower prices somewhere domestically. But, the problem is that it's a bit difficult to compare as often Store A has a great price on one brand, but Store B has a great price on a different brand. In this case, since we're comparing pricing offered by the same store, we know that overhead costs are the same.

Anyway, while this is interesting, it doesn't seem to apply to the e-shift systems. Not sure why that is...
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (steel)
    Full Campagnolo compact drivetrain - Chorus 11sp
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Gobi saddle and bar tape
    BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander_48 View Post
    Super Record was NOT intended to compete with Dura-Ace. It was intended to be something above
    So Campagnolo says.

Shimano should put red decals on Dura Ace and call it Super Dura Ace.

Then they'd be comparable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    You can find Campy cheaper if you look around.

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mikerp View Post
    You can find Campy cheaper if you look around.
    Yes, but that wasn't the point. You need the same retailer for a fair comparison, otherwise you don't know what sort of mark-up is included. With the same vendor, you would assume the same percentage mark-up across the products offered.
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    BeBop Pedals

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    So Campagnolo says.

Shimano should put red decals on Dura Ace and call it Super Dura Ace.

Then they'd be comparable.
    I'd just as soon take Campagnolo's word for it over yours.
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    BeBop Pedals

Big is relative
    I just got an Athena group from Velomine for $900.
    Retired sailor

Steaming piles of opinion
    I agree with the point - Campy isn't really all that out there.

But consumables (cartridges, chains, cables) tend to be more expensive, and add up. And there's the additional tools. And some limitations on things like wheel choice.

I have Campy and love it, but it's not quite as easy a decision for some to make as one of the S's.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1 View Post
    I agree with the point - Campy isn't really all that out there.

But consumables (cartridges, chains, cables) tend to be more expensive, and add up. And there's the additional tools. And some limitations on things like wheel choice.
    If by cartridges you're referring to bottom brackets, in effect there is no bottom bracket with UltraTorque as such. The only thing you can replace, as far as I know, are the bearings. And, there are alternatives for chains and cables, so I don't see a problem. I don't know of any particular limitations regarding wheels. With a quick search, I found Campagnolo compaitible wheels from DTSWISS, HED, Cole, Rolf, RoL, Mavic, Zipp and of course Fulcrum.

Quote Originally Posted by danl1 View Post
    I have Campy and love it, but it's not quite as easy a decision for some to make as one of the S's.
    Maybe, but perhaps also easier than what it seems at first glance...
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    The EPS pricing sucks. I would love to have another bike with EPS for rain, winter etc but the price of EPS makes that not really justifiable. I will probably go Di2 but then the rims won't be compatible
    3 road bikes, 2 MTB, 1 CX and 1 Fatbike....for now

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Donn12 View Post
    The EPS pricing sucks. I would love to have another bike with EPS for rain, winter etc but the price of EPS makes that not really justifiable. I will probably go Di2 but then the rims won't be compatible
    There are less expensive prices out there. Also, Athena EPS would be an option, but for some reason it doesn't always show up in the groups listings. Colorado Cyclist didn't list it. You could also do it in 2 steps. Buy a mechanical Chorus system and sometime later upgrade to one of the EPS groups. That way, when you buy EPS you will only need the electronics-related items. That's why I went from a Centaur/Chorus 10sp mix to Chorus 11sp in the Fall of 2011.
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    There is only one truly special tool needed for Campy - the cheap cassette lockring tool.

I perfer Campy cables, but generic Shimano cable housing works just fine and generic cables are readily available, with both Campy and Shimano ends. No special housings or cables are need for Campy 11. Shimano has new and special cables for their 11 speed group.

There are more wheel limitations for Shimano 11 than Campy 11.

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40 View Post
    There are more wheel limitations for Shimano 11 than Campy 11.
    Yes, I didn't have to change wheels in going from 10sp to 11sp. I'm still running the same Protons since 2005.

Another MYTH Blown...
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    BeBop Pedals

Steaming piles of opinion
    I meant cassettes. Don't know where cartridges came from. Lack of attention.

And yeah, there are *plenty* of choices - but not quite as many as for shimano. Of course, now that they've all got essentially the same spacing, that remaining difference will evaporate pretty quickly.

And while it's true that you can get generic, double-ended cables, they are usually sold separately, whereas it easier to find full sets in Shimano. And while some brands do make them in Campagnolo too, those are often harder to find stocked. Not hard enough to consider 'hard to find', but hard enough that you end up needing to go to more than one shop when you're trying to build an order - unless you want to deal with one of the UK vendors. Which isn't entirely off the table, but has some drawbacks, too.
    Last edited by danl1; 04-28-2013 at 06:10 PM.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Not sure why you didn't just find a site that shows list price. Here's one, but I'm sure it's really easy to find others. (it took me going to 2 websites to find it).

Any discounted pricing analysis is IMO flawed - either shop or wholesale distributor could be giving discounts on one brand or the other at any time. Go back in a month and the other brand will be more discounted.

If you want to know what you can get this for and not look at list price, go to eBay - pretty much everything there is the wholesale price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Not sure why you didn't just find a site that shows list price. Here's one, but I'm sure it's really easy to find others. (it took me going to 2 websites to find it).

Road Bike Groups and Upgrade Kits

Any discounted pricing analysis is IMO flawed - either shop or wholesale distributor could be giving discounts on one brand or the other at any time. Go back in a month and the other brand will be more discounted.

If you want to know what you can get this for and not look at list price, go to eBay - pretty much everything there is the wholesale price.

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Actually I didn't search for a site. I received a flyer from Colorado Cyclist and went to the site to see how things looked. And, it wasn't intended to be any sort of analysis. I wouldn't read any more into it beyond a snapshot at a particular point in time. It just represents what is possible. There's a lot of misinformation out there in the Shimano community. Some of it is guesswork but I think some of it is intentionally misleading. In this case, the thing about Campagnolo being "crazy expensive" is just not true. However, it's a myth that has a life of its own and has to get challenged. Let's face it, the Shimano community is not predisposed to challenge this. Moreover, it just feeds into what many think that they know.

I'm not sure exactly who sells at list. R&A Cycles in NYC seems to have pretty high prices, so I would guess that they must be close. But, once again it is hard to make a comparison because they don't have 9070 listed. However, if you compare 9000 to Record, what I said is also true for the mechanical systems. In other words, Record is equivalent to Dura-Ace 9000.
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    BeBop Pedals