RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017

Campagnolo & Quarq

Hi.

I知 interested in buying a power meter and after reading a few reviews the Quarq power meter made the top of the list.

Since I知 running the Campagnolo Athena Carbon 11 Speed group set there is this unfortunate detail that it is not possible to use Campagnolo chain rings with Quarq power meters as they are not compatible. There is also the Power2max Campy version with excellent reviews but it is rather expensive.

I also consulted Quarq and they indicated it is still possible to pair Quarq PM with Campagnolo but I would need to use either SRAM chain rings or some third party chain rings.

Since I do not have any experiences with other group sets and my technical know-how is limited I would appreciate your help with the following questions:

1. I wonder whether SRAM chain rings are compatible with the rest of the Campagnolo components? Sadly I can not test that and I don稚 know anybody driving this setup.
    2. If it is possible to combine Quarq and Campagnolo, which Quarq model is suitable? What specs should I look for...BB30, 110 BCD with hidden bolt? Like this one?
    3. Which third party chain rings would you recommend that would be compatible with Quarq and would work with Campagnolo?
    4. Any other options?

I知 aware that there are good pedal based options like PowerTap P1 or Vector 2 that would save me the trouble but at this point I知 primarily interested in the crank based PM (more consistency, durability, ).

Thank you!
    Thomas

RoadBikeReview Member
    There is nothing so proprietary about Campy drivetrains that other cranksets and chainrings won't work. I've used FSA, Truvativ and Shimano cranksets and rings without issue.

So to answer your questions:

1. Yes

2. Any model that you want. Personally I'd choose the GXP spindle and the one with the commonest rings, standard 130 or 110 bcd. You'll obviously have to change the BB to fit your frame and whatever spindle option you've chosen.

3. I've used FSA because I'm cheap. Others will chime in I'm sure.
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 1 Week Ago at 04:44 AM.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

PMC
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I've used Praxis Works chain rings on a Campy 11 SR drivetrain with Campy chain and never had an issue. The Praxis rings were on a Power2Max PM and the combo was flawless the entire time I used it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    3. I've used FSA because I'm cheap. Others will chime in I'm sure.
    Me too. I know there is a whole bunch of fsa hate. But, I have two sets of their rings - one with about 25,000 miles and the other that is pretty new (1500 ish). Both are fine and 1/2 the cost of other rings.