RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

Campagnolo Shifter Clamp Issue

I recently purchased some Chorus 10 speed shifters that are a little rough for a commuter/touring bike project. The bolt for the band clamp is nearly stripped and seized on the left shifter.

I can't find the 10 speed clamp and bolt ANYWHERE. Will the new 11 speed clamps and bolts work?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Given the ridiculous price of new bits, I'd do all I could to salvage the clamp and screw. The nut which is more likely to get buggered up, can be replaced with a shortened brake nut. They are the same thread.

I'm seeing 11 spd clamps at $27 which would be closer to $40 with shipping which is insane. They certainly look the same to me. 11-spd uses a torx nut as opposed to the allen of the 10-speed.

good luck.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Yeah, I saw the price of those things. Unfortunately the nut is seized. I'd heat it up, but of course the shifter would melt. My only option at this point is to cut the band to access the rectangle flats to cut that off. I'm just hoping the clamp bands are compatible...

RoadBikeReview Member
    The only other thing I can think of is to try one of those "broken screw" removal tools on the nut. Perhaps drill out the centre of the nut to allow some penetrating oil in first. That way you still have a good band and screw and can go with the brake nut idea.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Get me to In&Out
    It will likely be cheaper to have a LBS order one from BTI. Small parts like that get expensive when you have to start paying shipping. This store has a ton of Campy small parts. Like you said, about $27 for the new clamp and bolt. Ochsner International - Search
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member

I have a spare from a set of SR11 levers. If that will work for you I would be glad to ship it too you. I don't know if they are the same though.
    2013 Lynskey R230. Campagnolo Chorus 11 group-set. Campagnolo Neutron Ultra wheel-set. Easton EC90 aero handlebars on 3T team stem. Specialized Romin Expert 155mm saddle. Look Keo Carbon Blade pedals. Garmin Edge 800. Lizard skin tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    The only other thing I can think of is to try one of those "broken screw" removal tools on the nut. Perhaps drill out the centre of the nut to allow some penetrating oil in first. That way you still have a good band and screw and can go with the brake nut idea.
    I thought about the broken screw tools, but the the rectangle has spun inside so I'll need to cut the clamp open to put some pliers on it...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by willieboy View Post
    I have a spare from a set of SR11 levers. If that will work for you I would be glad to ship it too you. I don't know if they are the same though.
    I don't think it would hurt to try 'em. How much are you looking to get for them?

RoadBikeReview Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigzebra View Post
    I don't think it would hurt to try 'em. How much are you looking to get for them?
    Let me dig them out and shoot a pic. I'll post it later today. Should be able to tell if they are correct. If they are we will get it worked out.
    2013 Lynskey R230. Campagnolo Chorus 11 group-set. Campagnolo Neutron Ultra wheel-set. Easton EC90 aero handlebars on 3T team stem. Specialized Romin Expert 155mm saddle. Look Keo Carbon Blade pedals. Garmin Edge 800. Lizard skin tape.

Matnlely Dregaend
    See the bottom of this page:

Titanium Hardware, Titanium Bolt, Titanium Accessories, Ti Bolts

Note that although the picture includes the clamp, you'll only be getting the nut and bolt for $10. I use this Ti bolt and nut on both 10 and 11 speed shifters without issue. They don't corrode and I haven't stripped one yet.
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Brifter" is the coolest cycling word

RoadBikeReview Member

That's a great source for the bolts. Good find Dr. I think the OP believes he will need the complete clamp and hardware. Something ng like these?
    Campagnolo Shifter Clamp Issue-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365957229.226750.jpg
    Campagnolo Shifter Clamp Issue-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365957240.998222.jpg

So. Calif.
    I have rebuilt 10sp and 11sp shifters, but never had them opened at the same time. The clamps certainly look the same and approximately same dimensions.

But if they differed by only a fraction of a mm , I wouldnt be able to recall the difference.

Matnlely Dregaend
    There is no difference in the diameter of the nut, the difference is that the old nuts (right and bottom) were coated steel while the new nuts (left and top) are alloy. The bolt remains coated steel. Also the old ones were Allen head and the new ones are torx. I posted elsewhere that the new alloy nut is a bad idea because if you sweat on it, it will corrode faster than even the steel ones did (I had the top left alloy one fail).

Campagnolo Shifter Clamp Issue-dscf1883.jpg
    Last edited by DrSmile; 04-14-2013 at 09:51 AM.
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” Susan B. Anthony 1896

Matnlely Dregaend
    Oh and the band clamps are identical.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by willieboy View Post
    That's a great source for the bolts. Good find Dr. I think the OP believes he will need the complete clamp and hardware. Something ng like these?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365957229.226750.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	278940
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365957240.998222.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	278941
    That looks about right.

RoadBikeReview Member

PM me your info and I will send them to you.