RoadBikeReview Member

Campagnolo Veloce Ultra Shift Install????

I upgraded my old 9 Speed Mirage Shifters with a new set of the Veloce 10 Speed Ultra Shift levers. Installed levers, set up cables, housings and when I try to adjust the derailleurs... I get zero action from the levers when up/down shifting, the derailleur cables (front and rear) do not move at all. Not even a slight tug, no movement.

Don't know what I fear more, that the shifters are bunk or I totally missed something so basic and will most certainly get an earful on this forum. Not my first time installing shifters, I installed and set up the Mirage shifters I just shelved for these with zero issues.

I triple checked to make sure I have the cable routed correctly, and I just can't think of what else to do for such a basic issue?

Anyone have any ideas, trying to beat sundown to get a ride still!

thank you.

classiquesklassieker
    Quote Originally Posted by boleiro View Post
    I upgraded my old 9 Speed Mirage Shifters with a new set of the Veloce 10 Speed Ultra Shift levers. Installed levers, set up cables, housings and when I try to adjust the derailleurs... I get zero action from the levers when up/down shifting, the derailleur cables (front and rear) do not move at all. Not even a slight tug, no movement.

Don't know what I fear more, that the shifters are bunk or I totally missed something so basic and will most certainly get an earful on this forum. Not my first time installing shifters, I installed and set up the Mirage shifters I just shelved for these with zero issues.

I triple checked to make sure I have the cable routed correctly, and I just can't think of what else to do for such a basic issue?

Anyone have any ideas, trying to beat sundown to get a ride still!

thank you.
    When you yank on the cables by hand, do the derailleurs move? If so, then they are probably fine.

When you actuate the shifters, is there any change in cable tension? If so, the shifters are probably fine. You just need to check the cable routing again.

If the last one resulted in no change in cable tension, you must have inserted the cable through the wrong channels. Push the thumb buttons to make sure it is all the way to the smallest setting, then check which way you inserted the cable again.

I bet there is a Campagnolo video for this on YouTube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thank Orange,

yes, I can pull the cable by hand to create tension and the deraileurs move fine.

When I actuate the shifters, no change in tension.

And no video on YouTube that I could find, lots on rebuilding shifters, but nothing on inserting the cable. I mean, this is pretty basic. Which is why I'm feeling pretty dumb.

I did notice that on the right shifter (front) the cable end seem to not go all the way inside, but sat there right close to the opening. The cable end on the left shifter goes up in there so I can't see it.

But, neither side is working so...

I'm going to start again and see if I can't find out if its the routing.

thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    I sense that you may not have the cables threaded through the right way in the shifters.

By pulling back the cover a little and looking at the cable end you should see it seated. If not I'd suggest removing a cable and try again. In both cases the thumb shifter should be at the end of it's travel when inserting the cable. Do you have the instructions?

edit. just checked the instructions and they are not great. and I've never done it in the way suggested either. I've always pulled the cover back, poked the cable through, then inserted the end in the housing and seated the housing.
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 04-14-2012 at 03:45 PM.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

classiquesklassieker
    Thank Orange,

yes, I can pull the cable by hand to create tension and the deraileurs move fine.

When I actuate the shifters, no change in tension.

And no video on YouTube that I could find, lots on rebuilding shifters, but nothing on inserting the cable. I mean, this is pretty basic. Which is why I'm feeling pretty dumb.

I did notice that on the right shifter (front) the cable end seem to not go all the way inside, but sat there right close to the opening. The cable end on the left shifter goes up in there so I can't see it.

But, neither side is working so...

I'm going to start again and see if I can't find out if its the routing.

thanks
    Bingo. You put the cable into the wrong hole ....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

more....

I hope that you don't think that 10 speed shifters will operate your 9 speed drivetrain, because they will not. The cable pull, per shift, is much less than your 9 speed shifters.

You need to get the installation instructions from the Campy website and follow them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wrong hole was my first thought. unfortunately the included instruction book is less than descriptive in showing where the hole is. No other hole really works. My mirage were different all together in this respect.

I can pull the hood back to see where the cable comes out and into the guide that takes the cable to the housing, but I can't see inside the body to see how it is seated. If I have the shifter actuated all the way to the smallest gear, I can't get the cable end all the way up, only if I have it shifted to the lowest gear.

And yes, I'm running full 10 speed. Ran 10 speed derailleurs with my 9 speed mirage shifters with excellent results for the last 2 years.

My LBS said you have to be sure the cable end is seated correctly, but like mentioned, that is not visible.

Going to go try again...

'brifter' is a lame word.
    what C40 was saying that your new 10spd shifters won't work if you're still using a 9spd cassette on your rear wheel.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am using full 10 speed drivetrain... shifters, front and rear derailleur and cassette. There is nothing 9 speed left.

thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It's quite visible with the right light and looking at the right angle.

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Got it! Okay, now I see, thanks Julio the Biker. I had to have shifted all the way to the high side and while looking in the hole with it lit this time, I could see the actual move into place. Now it makes sense.

Thank you!

RoadBikeReview Member
    you're welcome. with that avatar I was starting to wonder....................

One.

RoadBikeReview Member
    any "the cowboy" isn't a little unsettling itself?

thanks Julio, your a gent.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I had a lot of trouble installing the cable on my shifters, too. It's different from the older Veloce shifters. Sorry, I don't remember what I finally did to get it to work. As I remember, it's not obvious which hole in the shifter to use to insert the cable.

I really like the new shifters. The hood is more comfortable, and the brake levers have more leverage from the hoods.

RoadBikeReview Member
    and "the cowboy" isn't a little unsettling itself?

thanks Julio, your a gent.
    just hope you don't see me again in this thread..........

One.