RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006

Question Campy Centaur Bottom Bracket issues

I recently installed a new Centaur tapered 53-39 crankset and the 2005 silver bottom bracket on my Merlin Solis. The install went smooth. However, the dreaded clicking sound was evident from the beginning. I have tried all of the known fixes and I have narrowed it to the bottomm bracket. It's the silver bottom bracket with the sealed cartridge and a left and right fix cups that are not adjustable. On closer inspection, there is a slight bit of play on the axel, but the right & left cups are all the way as tight as it can be against the bottom bracket. Is this a defect and should I start anew?

I was thinking of the following solutions:

1) put an o ring between the cartridge and the left cup to "tighten" it

2) order the black Centauer BB which appears to have an adjustable cup

3) go to a Phil Wood BB.

Anyone have any ideas or have experienced the same? Thanks for your collective ideas.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Grease?

Quote Originally Posted by oneywatch
    I recently installed a new Centaur tapered 53-39 crankset and the 2005 silver bottom bracket on my Merlin Solis. The install went smooth. However, the dreaded clicking sound was evident from the beginning. I have tried all of the known fixes and I have narrowed it to the bottomm bracket. It's the silver bottom bracket with the sealed cartridge and a left and right fix cups that are not adjustable. On closer inspection, there is a slight bit of play on the axel, but the right & left cups are all the way as tight as it can be against the bottom bracket. Is this a defect and should I start anew?

3) go to a Phil Wood BB.

Anyone have any ideas or have experienced the same? Thanks for your collective ideas.
    If you're SURE it's the BB, then the first thing that comes to mind is improperly greased threads and/or not enough install torque. That said, it could also be the crank moving against the tapers, chainring bolts, chainrings moving against the crank arm spiders, pedals, cleats, cleat bolts, shoes, etc, etc. etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Use some plumbers tape (white) on the threads of the BB.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

"She loves to limbo. That much is clear. She's got the right dynamic for the New Frontier"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2002

Have Torque Wrench?

I have had this same problem as well. I solved the problems by making sure both cups were torqued to the proper specs. Also, it you do decide to switch bottom brackets, take a look at Token or TA.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

tapered??

Quote Originally Posted by oneywatch

3) go to a Phil Wood BB.

When you say "tapered" I assume you mean the older square taper BB. Campy recommends you torque those to 70N.m which takes some serious effort. Wrapping some teflon tape around the BB threads may help. You may also want to make sure the BB shell is properly faced. I am not aware of a black Centaur BB with adjustable cups. The later Centaur BB used the same spline pattern as the Record/Chorus but its still a non-adjustable cartridge

RoadBikeReview Member
    FYI, I had an issue with a Token BB in that the ISO taper was quite different from my Campy version and it threw off my chainline. I have used a number of the silver BBs, now sold as Veloce, and they really need to be cranked down and greased, but even when loose there is no play in the axle at all. I would guess you have a defect or wear. Nothing in the tightness or fit of the threaded portion has anything to do with play in the axle. It is hard to argue with Phil wood as an option, but it is also hard to argue with the Veloce at $28. That works out to about 5 BB you can wear out before the Wood is paid for. But it is hard to argue with the Phil Wood.
    Last edited by chas0039; 07-13-2009 at 01:51 PM.