RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

Campy Compatibility Question: 11 Speed Ultra-Shift Front Derailleur with 10 Speed Dri

Nov. 2, 09

I need to move my 2007 Campy Record 10s Group-o to a new frame. The new frame requires a Braze-on Front Derailleur...my old one is a Clamp style.

Since I have to buy a front derailleur, I am wondering if I can prepare for the future and buy/use an 11speed front derailleur with a 10speed drive train.

One day, I would like to switch to the 11speed group for the fancy new Shifters. Questions is, Can I buy/use an 11speed Front Derailleur with my old 2007 Ultra-Torque 10Speed drive train?

The Campy Instruction Manual for the 11speed "Ultra-Shift" Front Derailleur does not give me any hope. The Manual just gives a big Warning about 'Different combinations' with words like '...could cause the malfunction of the drivetrain...", "....or death".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

info...

The only problem that will occur is with the narrower cage. It's likely to need a trim click of the thumb button sooner than a 10 speed FD would, as you progress toward larger cogs from the big ring.

As far as cable pull, that will not be a problem. There is enough cable pull to handle a triple.

I've even had good luck using an '08 Chorus QS FD with the new shifters and either 10 or 11 speed. I use the same four clicks that were needed with the older shifters.
    Last edited by C-40; 11-03-2009 at 05:59 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    I did this exact thing last year. The shifting is awesome, and C-40 is right on the slight trim issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Cool, Thanks for the response!!
    Now, I have to hunt for the best price on an 11speed Ultra-Shift Front Derailleur.
    ...have to see if new cables/housing are required.
    ......guess I should go for a new 10speed chain as well.

...ugh...told the wife "it's just a new frame sweetie, not a new bike"!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Falldog
    ...ugh...told the wife "it's just a new frame sweetie, not a new bike"!
    most of us have been there in some way, shape or form.
    last frame I got, I decided to just sit it where my previous bike was right out in the open. Took my wife a week-and-a-half to realize it was totally different bike!! It was one of those "akward cycling related marraige moments" to say the least. First she gave me a , then I gave her a .

As far as the front derailleur, try the European sources. Within the next 2 hours, you'll probably get flooded with places to check out (that's how it goes with the Campy threads ), so I won't bother naming websites...yet...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

Just to answer my own question....I did Not Like the mixed Combo

Dec. 1, 2009

Just to answer my own question....

I tried the 11Speed Front D. with 10Speed drive train. I did NOT like it. I returned the 11Speed Front D. and got a 10Speed.

I found the shifting range very limited.

....I tried, but my take is 10Speed is to 10Speed as 11Speed is to 11Speed. Tolerance is tight enough. I will wait to go for the full Group-O when the time is right.

kytyree
    Quote Originally Posted by Falldog
    Dec. 1, 2009

Just to answer my own question....

I tried the 11Speed Front D. with 10Speed drive train. I did NOT like it. I returned the 11Speed Front D. and got a 10Speed.

I found the shifting range very limited.

....I tried, but my take is 10Speed is to 10Speed as 11Speed is to 11Speed. Tolerance is tight enough. I will wait to go for the full Group-O when the time is right.

You'll like it once you make the switch. On the bright side I've noticed its a lot easier to slip a new gruppo by the woman than a new frame. She picks up on wheels and frames right away, especially if she see's the boxes, but a gruppo? "Just some parts for stuff that I wore out."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kytyree
    On the bright side I've noticed its a lot easier to slip a new gruppo by the woman than a new frame.... "Just some parts for stuff that I wore out."
    +1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

more...

Some people make the same complaint about the 11 speed FD with an 11 speed chain and drivetrain too. I just responded to one such complaint yesterday over at weight weenies. Some people appparently aren't very adept at mounting and adjusting FDs. The worst than can happen is the need to trim one cog sooner. If you disliked the FD that much, you may find that you should use a 10 speed FD even if you switch to 11 speed.

I've got two bikes with 11 speed FDs and one with a 10 speed FD and 11 speed drivetrain. They all work just fine. Both require the same 1-click of trim from the thumb button or finger lever at some point.