RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Campy Drivetrain on Shimano Cassette

My roommate that doesn't cycle just came into an awesome deal on a bike with Campy record for commuting and is willing to swap his drive train for my Shimano drivetrain and shifters. However, I have wheels that are only compatible with Shimano cassettes.

So is it possible to run Campy shifters and derailers on a Shimano 10 speed 105 cassette with spacers or put a Campy cassette on a wheel with a Shimano wheel?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cassette spacing is different between Shimano and Campy, some gears will work but others will be off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    With a Jtek shiftmate, it's possible.

Though I'd try to just swap wheelsets while you're at it if it's an option or invest in new ones.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Are there spacers I can put between each cog on the cassette or somehow modify the hub so that it can accept a campy cassette?

RoadBikeReview Member
    In theory, you can probably get it to work somewhat, but I would guess it'll never be spot on. Get a new freehub for the wheelset, that would be the easiest and most cost effective way.

Shimano Cassettes & Freehubs

Campagnolo: not very compatible
    Campagnolo 8-speed cassettes used a slightly different spline pattern from the current pattern used for 9-and 10-speed systems.
    8-speed Campagnolo cassettes will not fit on newer "9-speed" and "10-speed" hubs.

9- and 10-speed Campagnolo cassettes will not fit on 8-speed hubs.

It is theoretically possible to upgrade Campagnolo 8-speed hubs with newer cassette bodies, but in practice the parts don't generally seem to be available.

Cog spacing is different enough from Shimano's that Shimano derailers and shifters may not work well with Campagnolo cassettes, and vice versa. It is possible to fudge compatibility in some cases where cog-to-cog spacing is similar.
    Many replacement parts are not available for older models. Campagnolo uses a different lockring tool. Campagnolo rear derailers are designed to work only with Campagnolo shifters; Campagnolo also changed cable pull in 2001. An after-market pulley device can bridge incompatibilities. Some manufacturers, notably IRD, Miche and American Classic, offer aftermarket replacement cassettes to fit Campagnolo hubs. There are even cassettes available with Campagnolo spacing to fit Shimano Freehubs, and vice versa. Available Campagnolo 8- and 9-speed cassettes from Harris Cyclery are listed here, with some compatibility information. Some individual after-market cogs are listed here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Ok thanks. I'll look into the Jtek shiftmate as I'm not ready to buy new wheels, and my wheels are better than his.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You can not replace all the spacers on a 10 speed Shimano made cassette to match Campy spacing.
    Here are some options:
    1) JTEK ENGINEERING shiftmate adapter
    2) replace Shimano free hub & cassette with Campy hub and cassette if your rear hub has that option
    3) buy Campy compatible rear wheel (or wheelset) and cassette
    4) If it's 10speed, send a Shimano 9-speed cassette and $50 to Wheels Mfg. They machine a new 11T final cog and respace the existing 9 cogs to Campy specs.
    5) Buy an IRD or Ambrosio conversion cassette (Shimano splines, Campy spacing) for use with your existing Shimano wheel. The Ambrosio cassettes were reasonably priced at Probikekit.com last time I saw them.
    -------- __@
    ----- _`\<,J
    ---- (O)/ (O)
    Cannondale SystemSix, SRAM Rival/Force
    Cinelli Aliante - Campagnolo Veloce
    Motobecane Immortal - SRAM Apex
    Kestrel Evoke SL - SRAM Rival (RIP)

banned
    Aug 2011
    American Classic, wheels manufacturing, or Mavic M-10 conversion cassettes. The Mavic cassette kind of sucks btw. It does the job but campy cassettes shift better.

Hucken The Fard Up !
    These

Ambrosio Cassette, Shimano fit, Campagnolo spacing.

http://www.probikekit.com/ch/compone...-10-speed.html

they are Veloce level, single cogs, work very well. cheap, not light
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    You can use a SRAM derailleur (must be 10 speed). I have 1 bike set up this way and it shifts good. However my bikes with J-tec shift better. I would go with the J-tec

Dave

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    oth

u can just change the freehub body of your wheel to a campag compatible

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Well I have a Cane Creek wheelset, and they stopped making those so I'm not sure if I'll be able to find one.

Hide Age and DOB
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sadisticnoob View Post
    oth

u can just change the freehub body of your wheel to a campag compatible
    When I was experimenting with Campy playing with Shimano I heard this but could never find one. I know there are some custom wheelsets like Formula that allow you to mix and match freehubs, but nothing you could just bolt onto a Shimano hub that would have a Campy freehub shell.

As I said I experimented with this a while ago and posted it on my blog with photos. Vintage and Ergo Campagnolo: The Miche Conversion Cassette I started with the Shimano cogs with Campy spacers using a Miche Cassette and then went through most the other suggestions here.
    Last edited by onespeedbiker; 04-10-2012 at 09:32 PM.
    E’ fatto espresso divieto di partecipare alla manifestazione con biciclette che non possiedano i suddetti requisiti.Ogni tentativo di farlo a mangiare un piatto di grandi dimensioni di 3 settimane la polenta e in genere di divertimento, soprattutto se egli è straniero.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa_Lover View Post
    These

Ambrosio Cassette, Shimano fit, Campagnolo spacing.

http://www.probikekit.com/ch/compone...-10-speed.html

they are Veloce level, single cogs, work very well. cheap, not light
    They're actually lighter than spec'd, I have 2 11-25 cassettes and they're sub 290 grams with the lockring. They weigh exactly the same as my Centaur cassettes and they shift better than the American Classic cassettes, but are (or were) 1/2 the price. I really like them!
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." - Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Genuine Campagnolo Spares - Inserts for Dura Ace pattern brake shoes." - PBK

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedbiker View Post
    When I was experimenting with Campy playing with Shimano I heard this but could never find one. I know there are some custom wheelsets like Formula that allow you to mix and match freehubs, but nothing you could just bolt onto a Shimano hub that would have a Campy freehub shell.

As I said I experimented with this a while ago and posted it on my blog with photos. Vintage and Ergo Campagnolo: The Miche Conversion Cassette I started with the Shimano cogs with Campy spacers using a Miche Cassette and then went through most the other suggestions here.
    oh i din noe what free hub he is using

im running fulcrum wheels where freehubs are interchangeable

Matnlely Dregaend
    I just weighed both cassettes for exact weights, the Ambrosio 11-25 is 269 grams with the lockring, the Centaur 11-25 is 276 grams. Fair disclosure these are the older Centaur 10 spd cassettes with individual cogs. The American Classic cassettes are way heavier even though the last 2 gears are on a carrier.
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." - Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Genuine Campagnolo Spares - Inserts for Dura Ace pattern brake shoes." - PBK

Hucken The Fard Up !
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    They're actually lighter than spec'd, I have 2 11-25 cassettes and they're sub 290 grams with the lockring. They weigh exactly the same as my Centaur cassettes and they shift better than the American Classic cassettes, but are (or were) 1/2 the price. I really like them!
    I have 2, a 12-28 and a 11-23 they are a bit heavier than the Centaur cassettes but not for a lot, maybe it is the plating ?
    Quote Originally Posted by zank
    They're just bikes. Ride 'em in the rain, salt, snow and crap to fully appreciate them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Kelly
    The thing about the cold is that you can never tell how cold it is from looking out a kitchen window. You have to dress up, get out training and when you come back, you then know how cold it is.

Hide Age and DOB
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sadisticnoob View Post
    oh i din noe what free hub he is using

im running fulcrum wheels where freehubs are interchangeable
    My bad, I meant Fulcrum wheels.

Another note is Campy does make Shimano compatible freehub bodies for their better wheelsets, but there is no reciprocated love from Shimano..
    Last edited by onespeedbiker; 04-11-2012 at 05:29 PM.
    E’ fatto espresso divieto di partecipare alla manifestazione con biciclette che non possiedano i suddetti requisiti.Ogni tentativo di farlo a mangiare un piatto di grandi dimensioni di 3 settimane la polenta e in genere di divertimento, soprattutto se egli è straniero.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012

shimano hubs and campy drivetrain

Anyone who has Chris King Classic hubs and would like to put a campy drivetrain on it, may run into a few problems. Chris King does not make campy compatible free hub bodies so unless you want to switch to the R45 hubs, you are stuck with the hub system that is only for Shimano.
    However, IRD and Ambrosio offer cassettes that will fit a shimano hub but has the proper spacing for a campy drivetrain. I have ordered one myself but haven't received it yet so I can't tell for sure if the shifting works perfectly smooth or not. Here are the links.
    http://www.interlocracing.com/cassettes_steel.html
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product...d-casette.html

I haven't been able to figure out why there is such a big price difference. They are both nickle plated and weigh roughly the same. Perhaps someone else can comment on this.

Cheers