RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Campy "Ghost" shifting diagnosis

I was doing a hilly ride this weekend and experienced what I think was “ghost” shifting. Up until that ride I have had no issues and the shifting seemed very dialed in. On a climb when I was out of the saddle or applying a lot of torque at low cadence, it seemed like I was getting a random upshift. It’s possible that it was chain slip but I believe I always was ending up in a smaller cog. After the shift there was no grinding or chain noise like I was in between gears. I am guessing that maybe frame flex added extra tension on the cable and that caused the g-springs to slip the shift. It’s been only about 4000 miles since my last lever overhaul. I also am not getting any of the sloppy shifting I normally get when the springs are soft. Shifts continue to be dead on in both directions. This did not happen when I was riding on the flats or spinning an higher cadences. Is this just soft g-springs? Broken carrier? Other thoughts?

These are Veloce 9-speed shifters circa 1999

'brifter' is a lame word.
    if the carrier wasn't replaced you could have a broken one. i doubt you'd ever get a 'soft' ergo spring. but you still have solid clicks when you shift? what happens if you pull on the exposed (if there is any) shift cable? does it pull through the clicks w/ barely any effort?
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

carrier

Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    if the carrier wasn't replaced you could have a broken one. i doubt you'd ever get a 'soft' ergo spring. but you still have solid clicks when you shift? what happens if you pull on the exposed (if there is any) shift cable? does it pull through the clicks w/ barely any effort?
    The carrier was replaced on the first overhaul (it was broken). I also thought it was odd that the shifting seems tight and solid.

I put the bike on the stand and shifted through all the gears. All shifts seem crisp and tight. I tried pulling on the RD cable. I took considerable effort to cause a "shift" and when it did there was a very noticeable click at the lever. I don't remember that happening during the ride. So maybe I was getting chain skip. The chain has about 3000 miles and the cassette about 5000 so they should still be OK
    Last edited by DaveG; 08-27-2012 at 02:18 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Is your frame getting old and flexing more? Low cadences out of the saddle will place the most force on the BB, and eventually all frames start to give just a little bit.