RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

Campy Mirage rear hub problem

Last year I built a rear cyclocross/touring wheel on the cheap: Sun Rhyno 29er, 14/15 spokes, Campy Mirage hub. I clean and lube the hub maybe twice per year. I occasionally ride with a rack and panniers. I tend to generate a decent amount of power, and as a result I have a history of breaking bits in the drivetrain. All that is to say: the rear wheel does experience quite a bit of load.

The Mirage hub recently began making noise. I would hear it when coasting. The noise was in addition to the usual, loud Campy ratcheting noise.

This week the rear hub began malfunctioning when coasting. It would re-engage.

I took the hub apart to clean and lube it. I couldn't find any obvious source of the problem. I noticed that on the pawl carrier, around each of the three pawls, the metal had deformed and was protruding in three spots above the otherwise smooth surface. I believe the pawl carrier makes contact with the bearing when the hub is assembled. There is zero play in the hub; the hub is not adjustable.

Could these tiny metal imperfections be causing my problem? I am interest in a repair (not a warranty replacement) because I don't want to disassemble an otherwise perfectly good wheel.

Thanks for any insight.

Every little counts...
    You can buy new pawls and a pawl spring.

For a quick fix, you might file the burrs off of the pawls, but they are already on thier way out.

Keep the pawls well lubricated (I use light machine oil, Phil's tenacious at heaviest). It might be that they aren't all fully engaging, stressing 1 or 2. If all 3 are engaged it should be quite solid.