Slippery Old Devil

Campy Proton Question

How many miles you can get out of a set of Protons? The hubs have been serviced twice since 2004 and they're fine. My concern is spoke and rim fatigue. I weight 164 pounds and ride mostly good roads. Thanks in advance.

Militant commuter
    That's a tough one...but keep an eye around the spoke holes in the rim, as cracking is a sign (on most rims, not specifically the Proton) that they're on their last legs.
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    To answer your question about miles. I've put on about 5000 miles on mine and never had any issues with them at all. Very reliable wheels. Their bombproof! I've trued mine like twice and had them since 2004. These wheels are awesome!

My riding weight is 175 lbs!
    2011 Cannondale Super Six
    2005 Cannondale Scalpel
    2003 Cannondale Jekyll

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    The Protons are pretty overbuilt wheels--the spokes and rims will last a loooooong time. I have a set with about 25K on them. I'm having some problems with the rear hub now, but the wheels are still structurally sound and stay true.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Variables

Quote Originally Posted by oily666
    How many miles you can get out of a set of Protons? The hubs have been serviced twice since 2004 and they're fine. My concern is spoke and rim fatigue. I weight 164 pounds and ride mostly good roads.
    Your question has a bit of "How long is a piece of string?" nature to it. There is no predictable life to any bike component. Even tires and chains seem to have at least a 2X range of variability.

Rim fatigue will show up, as SilverStar noted, as cracks around the spoke holes. No cracks, no worries. Spoke fatigue will show up as broken spokes. If one spoke breaks, it's a fluke. If two break, the wheel bears watching. If three break, you probably should have it rebuilt.

I had a set of Electron wheels, which were lighter versions. I put 45,000 miles (73,000 km) on the rear and 60,000 miles (95,000 km) on the front. The front was just fine. The rear broke a spoke and I replaced the wheels. I weigh 180 lbs (82 kg).
    Last edited by Kerry Irons; 12-04-2010 at 05:14 PM.

Militant commuter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    Spoke fatigue will show up as broken spokes. If one spoke breaks, it's a fluke. If two break, the wheel bears watching. If three break, you probably should have it rebuilt.
    Thanks, Kerry -- that's a good one to remember, and I'm glad you addressed spoke breakage because I know nothing about it.
    "Luminous beings are we...not this crude matter!"

Slippery Old Devil
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverStar
    Thanks, Kerry -- that's a good one to remember, and I'm glad you addressed spoke breakage because I know nothing about it.
    Thanks here also Kerry. The symptoms I knew, but it's nice to have a time frame reference and now I have that too. I guess I'm good for a while.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    That's a question you maybe should have considered before buying them in 2004.

Unless you're planning a long trip, why are you worrying about it now? They're paid for and you should continue to ride them until you can't. Then you can ask in advance about the durability of the next wheels you consider buying.
    fb
    www.chain-l.com

Solving any problem requires understanding the underlying cause

Slippery Old Devil
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    That's a question you maybe should have considered before buying them in 2004.

Unless you're planning a long trip, why are you worrying about it now? They're paid for and you should continue to ride them until you can't. Then you can ask in advance about the durability of the next wheels you consider buying.
    In 37 years of cycling I've found getting an answer about something like this from a bike shop, before you purchase, is akin to asking which 700 23c tires get the fewest flats. I've seen tires slammed as flat prone, both in shops and on this site, that I've ridden for years without a single puncture. I'll take the info I got from this post.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    I hate to say it - I didn't have great luck with my Protons. The rear lasted about 4 years (which frankly isn't all that bad) before I broke a spoke. I repaired the spoke (ouch! Expensive darn repair, darn Campy), but never had the faith in that rear rim. I eventually replaced it with a 32h Campy hub + DT rim setup, 3x. I'm still running the front, though, with no apparent problems.

Of course, I hover around 195ish, so I may be on the clydesdale end of things with these wheels.

That said, I'd say unless there are no signs of fatigue, spokes 'plinking' as you accellerate, etc, you're probably fine.

The real issue with them is that if you chose to go with the Campy spoke replacement, it's certainly a special order, and you have to buy a small 'pack' of the spokes. Ultimately, I've switched to off-the-shelf rims/spokes because of that, but then this subject is best in another thread...