Sooper Dooper Moderator!

Campy - Question on switching to lower geared cassette

I currently have an Campy 11-25 cassette on my Colnago. I want to put some lower gears on the bike - a 12-29 cassette. I know I'll need a longer chain. Can I ride a cassette with a 12-29 range on my Super Record derailleur?

What if anything do I need to do to get this to work?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Campy - Question on switching to lower geared cassette-20170805_212552_resized.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Not sure if it helps but I have done this with both a 2008 10 speed Centaur on a Wilier and a 2013 11 speed Athena on a Bianchi without a problem. With the Athena-Bianchi I was going from 27T to 29T and didn't have to lengthen the chain (although I never use a Big-Big combination), but I did increase the chain length at the next renewal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What on earth are you measuring in that photo? Chain stretch???

and, frankly, the chain you have looks like it has plenty of 'wrap' to go from a 25 to a 29. I'm not certain if a campy short cage rear derailleur is ok, but put the new cassette on and see if it works. You can always change the derailleur if it doesn't.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    What on earth are you measuring in that photo? Chain stretch???

and, frankly, the chain you have looks like it has plenty of 'wrap' to go from a 25 to a 29. I'm not certain if a campy short cage rear derailleur is ok, but put the new cassette on and see if it works. You can always change the derailleur if it doesn't.
    The RD will be fine.

Unless that's a fairly new chain then it's always a good idea to put on a new one with a new cassette.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

xxl
    Without knowing the year Super Record to be absolutely certain, you should be fine, according to the Campy folks:

Technical FAQ with Lennard Zinn: Chain Wrap Compatibility | VeloNews.com
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno View Post
    I currently have an Campy 11-25 cassette on my Colnago. I want to put some lower gears on the bike - a 12-29 cassette. I know I'll need a longer chain. Can I ride a cassette with a 12-29 range on my Super Record derailleur?

What if anything do I need to do to get this to work?
    Depending on how your chain was sized, you may not have to replace it. Campy recommends using the small-small method so if you are not exceeding the wrap capacity of the RD, then a longer chain is not needed. Since you don't give any information about the RD other than "Super Record" (which could be from 1980) you will have to look up the capacity and then see if you are in spec. The RD probably will handle a 29 but it might be an issue if your frame has a short derailleur hanger.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The RD in that image is from pre-2015. Although not that much "pre".

Despite the legends about Campy stuff, the basic RD geometry for both 10 and 11-speed remained the same and constant from the late '90's up until 2015. It will clear a 30T sprocket when adjusted. The max capacity of a Campy short cage RD has also remained constant at around 34T.

Confusion has been created by Campy themselves (gasp). They have typically quoted the max sprocket as being the biggest they made at the time. Nothing to do with the actual maximum.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Without knowing the year Super Record to be absolutely certain, you should be fine, according to the Campy folks:

Technical FAQ with Lennard Zinn: Chain Wrap Compatibility | VeloNews.com
    It's 2013.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Depending on how your chain was sized, you may not have to replace it. Campy recommends using the small-small method so if you are not exceeding the wrap capacity of the RD, then a longer chain is not needed. Since you don't give any information about the RD other than "Super Record" (which could be from 1980) you will have to look up the capacity and then see if you are in spec. The RD probably will handle a 29 but it might be an issue if your frame has a short derailleur hanger.
    Thanks, Kerry.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    The RD in that image is from pre-2015. Although not that much "pre".

Despite the legends about Campy stuff, the basic RD geometry for both 10 and 11-speed remained the same and constant from the late '90's up until 2015. It will clear a 30T sprocket when adjusted. The max capacity of a Campy short cage RD has also remained constant at around 34T.

Confusion has been created by Campy themselves (gasp). They have typically quoted the max sprocket as being the biggest they made at the time. Nothing to do with the actual maximum.
    Fwiw, I put a 13-29 cassette on my record 10s RD (2005 derailleur, definitely short cage) with a standard crank up front. That most definitely exceeded the specs as written by Campy. It also worked.