RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

Can anyone identify these tools?

Can anyone identify these tools (see YouTube link below)? Specifically, the name of the tool, manufacturer, model, etc.

(Yes yes, I know the first one is a blind bearing extractor, but I need the manufacturer and model. The other two tools, I don't know what they're called or who makes them.)

https://youtu.be/N8gfeZEPjK0

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I'm confused; the video only shows the bearing extractor and 2 open end wrenches. What are the other two tools?

The bearing extractor is a Wheels Manufacturing product. A search of their web site should provide you with the part number for the extractor you're looking for. Note that they have a couple sizes on Page 1, based upon the crank axle diameter i.e., 24 or 30mm.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Well, I guess he means the 2 wrenches, in which case, I'd suggest Craftsman.

And, as far as the extractor goes, well, the manufacturer's name is printed on it so obviously that I don't think I need to say anything more.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    My my.... who knew it was so simple??

First, the blind bearing extractor in this video is not a Wheels Mfg product. At least, it's not a product that they have listed on their website. But it is a more desirable bearing extractor because it is much shorter in length than Wheels Mfg's current lineup of extractors, which allows it to be used with the second tool in the video (the thing that says Wheels Mfg on it).

As for the second tool, I looked exhaustively on the Wheels Mfg website and could not find it. I did a google search and could not find it. I'm not even sure what to call it. Is it a threaded bottom bracket tool that is being repurposed in this video? I don't know. So, do any of you know what it is?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The first tool looks like one of these.

Can anyone identify these tools?-bbt-200-side-view.jpeg
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    My my.... who knew it was so simple??

First, the blind bearing extractor in this video is not a Wheels Mfg product. At least, it's not a product that they have listed on their website. But it is a more desirable bearing extractor because it is much shorter in length than Wheels Mfg's current lineup of extractors, which allows it to be used with the second tool in the video (the thing that says Wheels Mfg on it).

As for the second tool, I looked exhaustively on the Wheels Mfg website and could not find it. I did a google search and could not find it. I'm not even sure what to call it. Is it a threaded bottom bracket tool that is being repurposed in this video? I don't know. So, do any of you know what it is?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    The first tool looks like one of these.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBT-200-SIDE-VIEW.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	320470
    I believe those are Enduro bearing extractors. Regardless of brand, they're quite long.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    I think you linked to the wrong youtube video.

The video I saw when I clicked on the link shows a Wheels Manufacturing labeled extractor and 2 open end wrenches.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    I think you linked to the wrong youtube video.

The video I saw when I clicked on the link shows a Wheels Manufacturing labeled extractor and 2 open end wrenches.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    The bearing extractor is the very first tool pulled out. It is inserted into the bearing. There is no information printed on this part as far as I can see. I was hoping someone could tell me who makes this particular model of bearing extractor. It doesn't look like a Wheels Mfg extractor because it's so short.

The second tool I'm talking about is the dark piece that is placed over the bottom bracket cup. It has "Wheels Mfg" printed on it, but I don't know what tool this is. It certainly can't be found on the Wheels Mfg website.

I don't give a **** about the wrenches.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Based on the age of the video (posted in 2011) I'd guess it's probably an old tool they no longer make or a one off they made and never produced. Pretty easy concept to recreate yourself with a little shopping on McMaster using the extractors they currently produce.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Now I understand.

You're right; Wheels Mfg. does not offer that particular tool on their web site.

I read your other post regarding your difficulty. Here's what I can suggest.

Unscrew the cup and put it in the freezer for a few hours. Reinstall it and see if maybe the bearing has contracted enough so you can use your tool without applying excessive force. Similarly, you could try putting the cup in the oven for a while as maybe the cup will expand at a different rate than the bearing.

I'm going to guess your problem may be the bearing was installed with Loctite and wasn't intended to be serviced.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    I'm going to guess your problem may be the bearing was installed with Loctite and wasn't intended to be serviced.
    Trying to remove a stubborn bearing, but extractor won't work.