Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I replaced the BB and my click-clack sound is gone. Still a bit surprised the BB went south that fast but it was a easy fix.
    A worn out BB does not click-clack.
    Most likely it's in the bin in good condition.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    On second thought, this seems a perfectly good chance to test Keezx's suggestion of re-torquing the crank bolt.

BTW, this is likely obvious and it's just the heat: where are you applying the Teflon tape, the spindle? and how do you get the Teflon tape to stay in place?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keezx View Post
    Huh? Where do you come up with this very general and inaccurate statement? A worn BB may very well click-clack. As Oct3 said, it may be a loose crank bolt, but it may also be a worn BB (play in the bearings).
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    FTR I tightened the crankset bolt with the wrench set for 32 Nm. This was an afterthought before leaving, so no chance to check the service manual; kind of a guess, based on it not budging with a torque of 25.

We're in the middle of a heatwave, my acclimation is lagging behind by whole months to be generous, as is my shape, and I was very slow for close to 4 hours; still I have a few 600-800W peaks towards the end of the ride and I didn't hear any clicking, though that was getting away from traffic.

If indeed the crankset bolt is it, that's 2 minutes of 30, although generally a good clean of the area on a yearly basis doesn't strike me as a bad idea !

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oct3 View Post
    FTR I tightened the crankset bolt with the wrench set for 32 Nm. This was an afterthought before leaving, so no chance to check the service manual; kind of a guess, based on it not budging with a torque of 25.

We're in the middle of a heatwave, my acclimation is lagging behind by whole months to be generous, as is my shape, and I was very slow for close to 4 hours; still I have a few 600-800W peaks towards the end of the ride and I didn't hear any clicking, though that was getting away from traffic.

If indeed the crankset bolt is it, that's 2 minutes of 30, although generally a good clean of the area on a yearly basis doesn't strike me as a bad idea !
    according to the directions I have the crank bolt should be 48-54Nm. It requires serious effort to get the that point

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I saved the old BB. I really did not want to go through the trouble of fussing with it and then having it still not working. I already had the spare BB so it was a sunk cost.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    On second thought, this seems a perfectly good chance to test Keezx's suggestion of re-torquing the crank bolt.

BTW, this is likely obvious and it's just the heat: where are you applying the Teflon tape, the spindle? and how do you get the Teflon tape to stay in place?
    The tape must be wrapped around the 22 mm part of the spindle, nothing happens when you put the crank on.
    It just prevcents movement (and so noise) when the crankbolt is not crazy tight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Huh? Where do you come up with this very general and inaccurate statement? A worn BB may very well click-clack. As Oct3 said, it may be a loose crank bolt, but it may also be a worn BB (play in the bearings).
    Sorry, in 50 years I never expirienced clicking sounds from worn bearings.
    Higly unlikeley, but never say never though.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Well if it starts clicking/creaking again you know what to do now.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Well if it starts clicking/creaking again you know what to do now.....
    This is a plastic bike with a glued in threaded aluminum BB sleeve. Its completely possible that the sleeve deformed a little bit and space was created, causing the noise. It was still in there tight though; I torqued it to spec when I originally installed it

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quite common.

I have experienced it with GXP and Shimano Hollowtech brackets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Interesting. I had an older bike with a square taper BB go south at 4K miles. The clicking on each pedal stroke was the first sign there was play. Bearings were shot.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    You didn't mention a sleeve, I assumed it was a threaded BB....
    The more parts, the more chance that some parts will move and cause noises.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    After re-torquing the crankset bolt at 48 Nm, I had another quiet couple sessions. Today it started clicking again, out of saddle, towards the end of the ride.

To make a long story short, I began by cleaning the chain and ended up disassembling most of the bike and may finish picking it apart entirely because...

...the grease, a bike-specific PFTE grease BTW, wherever it is closer to the elements, has dried up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    After re-torquing the crankset bolt at 48 Nm, I had another quiet couple sessions. Today it started clicking again, out of saddle, towards the end of the ride.

To make a long story short, I began by cleaning the chain and ended up disassembling most of the bike and may finish picking it apart entirely because...

...the grease, a bike-specific PFTE grease BTW, wherever it is closer to the elements, has dried up.
    After a few rides, some clicking has returned, although not as bad as before. I pulled the assembly again, used two turns of Teflon tape and re-installed. Hopefully that is the end of it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12