Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,374

    Can a GXP bottom bracket wear out this fast?

    One of my bikes developed a "click-clack" sound under heavy pedaling. I had something similar on another bike and it was the Look pedals. The bike has 5000 miles total on it, Having the pedals wear out in 5000 is feasible so I replaced them. No change. This noise happen every crank revolution and it does not matter if I am sitting or standing. The next logical thing would seem to be the BB but 5000 miles seems way too early. The BB is a Truvativ GXP with SRAM Rival cranks

  2. #2
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    24,489
    5000 miles in sunny weather...or 5000 miles of CX mud and pressure-washes?
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    One of my bikes developed a "click-clack" sound under heavy pedaling. I had something similar on another bike and it was the Look pedals. The bike has 5000 miles total on it, Having the pedals wear out in 5000 is feasible so I replaced them. No change. This noise happen every crank revolution and it does not matter if I am sitting or standing. The next logical thing would seem to be the BB but 5000 miles seems way too early. The BB is a Truvativ GXP with SRAM Rival cranks
    5000 miles is actually quite good for that SRAM ****.

    It is a SRAM typical crap design.

    You can disassemble the bottom bracket and grease the ball bearings and bearing cage. You need to remove the bearing lip though.

    However, it may be better and faster if you replace it (they are cheap on ebay).

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    590
    Having pedals wear out in 5k miles is not feasible in my book

  5. #5
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    23,812
    If you got caught in the rain, and water pooled in the bottom bracket shell, the bearings could go in 500 miles.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by ogre View Post
    Having pedals wear out in 5k miles is not feasible in my book
    SRAM doesn't give a ****.

    Admittedly, I also have had Shimao Tiagra 4700 bottom brackets wear out in no time (3000 km) on my commuter. I bought it from a seller in Ireland on ebay and it came unpacked and without instructions and I have no clue if it was a fake.

    Edit: I should read your post first. Anyway. I agree pedals shot after 8k is a no go.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    If you got caught in the rain, and water pooled in the bottom bracket shell, the bearings could go in 500 miles.
    So you are saying SRAM GXP brackets are not designed to be used in rain?

    Maybe SRAM in Chicago should put in a disclaimer: Must only be used in sunny California.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    5000 miles in sunny weather...or 5000 miles of CX mud and pressure-washes?
    5000 miles of mostly rain free riding. I had the heavily maligned Veloce BB on one of my bikes and it lasted over 20K

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,374
    Quote Originally Posted by dracula View Post
    SRAM doesn't give a ****.

    Admittedly, I also have had Shimao Tiagra 4700 bottom brackets wear out in no time (3000 km) on my commuter. I bought it from a seller in Ireland on ebay and it came unpacked and without instructions and I have no clue if it was a fake.

    Edit: I should read your post first. Anyway. I agree pedals shot after 8k is a no go.
    I am a heavier rider 180-190 and Look pedals usually get me about 6000 miles before there is a noticeable "click". Given that you can find a pair or Keo Max pedals for $60, I live with it. I have a spare GXP BB so I guess I will replace it

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I am a heavier rider 180-190 and Look pedals usually get me about 6000 miles before there is a noticeable "click". Given that you can find a pair or Keo Max pedals for $60, I live with it. I have a spare GXP BB so I guess I will replace it
    I have Shimano SPD pedals.

    However, pedals should definitely last longer than 8k.

    I wouldn't be happy if they last less than 20k.

    In theory the pedals are serviceable. However, no one -- except bike shops -- has that ****ing wrench (at least not me).

  11. #11
    Forever a Student
    Reputation: MMsRepBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4,665
    Pull the crank.

    Unscrew both sides of the bottom bracket.

    Clean the threads in the shell really well.

    Clean the threads on the bottom bracket cups really well.

    Apply fresh thick grease to both threaded surfaces.

    Reinstall everything.

    Should take care of it. I doubt there's anything wrong with your bearings. You can turn them by hand though after pulling the crank to see if they're still smooth or not, I bet they're fine.
    use a torque wrench

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    575
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    5000 miles of mostly rain free riding. I had the heavily maligned Veloce BB on one of my bikes and it lasted over 20K
    One theory that has been popping up over the years is the following: your bottom bracket cups are not properly aligned with each other due to an improperly milled bottom bracket end of the frame. This will reduce the lifespan of the bearings and races and increase load.

    I cannot believe that a good bottom bracket is like the princess and the pie.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,148
    The BB could be going south. OR, it could just be loose. Take everything apart, put everything back together, torque everything properly, see what happens.

    I have a Shimano Hollowtech II bike that did this at 4K miles. I did the above and all was well with the world.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,148
    Quote Originally Posted by dracula View Post
    I have Shimano SPD pedals.

    However, pedals should definitely last longer than 8k.

    I wouldn't be happy if they last less than 20k.

    In theory the pedals are serviceable. However, no one -- except bike shops -- has that ****ing wrench (at least not me).
    I use good old humble cheapo Shimano SPD 520 pedals. Over 6K miles and no problems. At $25 a pair, it's hardly worth servicing them when they do break. They won't owe me anything by then.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,374
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Pull the crank.

    Unscrew both sides of the bottom bracket.

    Clean the threads in the shell really well.

    Clean the threads on the bottom bracket cups really well.

    Apply fresh thick grease to both threaded surfaces.

    Reinstall everything.

    Should take care of it. I doubt there's anything wrong with your bearings. You can turn them by hand though after pulling the crank to see if they're still smooth or not, I bet they're fine.
    Thanks. I have a spare GXP BB (they sent me 2 when I bought the build kit), so I probably will just install it if I have to pull the BB anyway

  16. #16
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    23,812
    You've never had water egress into your frame tubes on an hours long rain ride, or race??
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,374
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    You've never had water egress into your frame tubes on an hours long rain ride, or race??
    What's an egret got to do with this?

    Name:  egret.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  33.0 KB

    With the GXP design the bearings are outside of the BB, so they are perhaps a bit more vulnerable. I will take it apart this weekend and have a look in there

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by dracula View Post
    It is a SRAM typical crap design.

    You can disassemble the bottom bracket and grease the ball bearings and bearing cage. You need to remove the bearing lip though.

    However, it may be better and faster if you replace it (they are cheap on ebay).
    SRAM (Truvativ) is one of the better outboard designs.
    Perfect location of the axle without any preload on the bearings.
    A small problem with the current GXP BB's is the fact that SRAM has thougt it to be necessary to deliver the left bearing with 22,2 inner diameter while the axle is 22,0 mm.
    This very likely causes movement and the clicking sound when the crank bolt is not extremely tight.
    Since I know this I wrap the 22,0 part with 1 turn of PTFE tape and my GXP BB is now running 4 years (> 25000 km) without any problem.
    Last edited by Keezx; 06-06-2017 at 08:43 AM.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Lombard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,148
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    What's an egret got to do with this?

    Name:  egret.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  33.0 KB

    With the GXP design the bearings are outside of the BB, so they are perhaps a bit more vulnerable. I will take it apart this weekend and have a look in there
    And what would an Egret find in your frame tubes, fish?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

    "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

    "Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger



  20. #20
    Banned forever.....or not
    Reputation: MR_GRUMPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    23,812
    If you get an egret's head stuck in your front wheel.....It's gonna hurt...
    As for egress....
    Draining your Bike
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    .
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

    I>U

    Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

    If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

    If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    The next logical thing would seem to be the BB but 5000 miles seems way too early. The BB is a Truvativ GXP with SRAM Rival cranks
    IME noises usually come from the cup/shell interface; I agree with the suggestion to disassemble, clean and regrease, and I'd also add: be very generous with the grease, and, in doubt, tighten the cups at the higher values from the recommended torque range.

    FWIW, I have over 30,000 kilometers on the same GXP BSA BB, too. Spare has been collecting dust in their tiny, colored box.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,374
    Quote Originally Posted by oct3 View Post
    IME noises usually come from the cup/shell interface; I agree with the suggestion to disassemble, clean and regrease, and I'd also add: be very generous with the grease, and, in doubt, tighten the cups at the higher values from the recommended torque range.

    FWIW, I have over 30,000 kilometers on the same GXP BSA BB, too. Spare has been collecting dust in their tiny, colored box.
    I will check tightness and play first. If I dont see anything there I will probably just replace it since I dont feel like messing with it again

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    23
    Read my post? (which is a bit lost in the thread for some reason)
    I registered espcially for your problem....

    Quote Originally Posted by Keezx View Post
    SRAM (Truvativ) is one of the better outboard designs.
    Perfect location of the axle without any preload on the bearings.
    A small problem with the current GXP BB's is the fact that SRAM has thougt it to be necessary to deliver the left bearing with 22,2 inner diameter while the axle is 22,0 mm.
    This very likely causes movement and the clicking sound when the crank bolt is not extremely tight.
    Since I know this I wrap the 22,0 part with 1 turn of PTFE tape and my GXP BB is now running 4 years (> 25000 km) without any problem.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,374

    epilogue

    I replaced the BB and my click-clack sound is gone. Still a bit surprised the BB went south that fast but it was a easy fix.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    105
    FTR I was out on a group ride yesterday and the BB started clicking when out of saddle on my way back. While I have had the spare part for a long while, as mentioned, I'm simply going to clean and re-grease.

    According to my diary, the last time I serviced it that way, was June, 26th, 2016.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-10-2010, 11:00 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 09:11 PM
  3. need help with a GXP bottom bracket
    By raceline in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 08:17 PM
  4. Sram GXP bottom bracket - Nay or Yay?
    By roadbike_moron in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-26-2009, 06:00 PM
  5. GXP Bottom Bracket
    By mattrider in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 03:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •