RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008

Can I install Di2 on Giant TCX SLR1?

Hi have a 2016 Giant TCX SLR1 cyclocross bike that has internal routing. I have Di2 on my road bike and really like it so managed to get a good deal on a Di2 group set for the CX bike. Given it is internally routed at the moment I bought parts for internally routed Di2.

Now that I'm about to install the group set, the grommets that I thought were removable on the underside of the BB area (where I was planning on pushing the junction box into the frame) are actually part of the frame. As such, there's no way I will be able to get the junction box into the frame that I can see.

Can anyone let me know if it's possible to install internally routed Di2 onto a TCX SLR frame, and if so how I can get the junction box into the frame?

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    You can't remove the BB and install it through the bottom bracket hole, the reinstall the bottom bracket once you have it wired up?
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for that, it would be great if I could just do that. It's a Press Fit bottom bracket and I don't have the tools to remove it but I can always take it to the LBS to get it done. I've taken the cranks off to take a look and it looks like the bottom bracket area is completely enclosed, but perhaps this is just a sheath between the two BB cups? Do you know for sure there will be a hole to put the wires through if I get the BB removed?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Take it to the shop. They will have experience dealing with this.

I put Di2 on my Volagi Viaje and had the same problem (nowhere for wires to pass through the BB).

I ended up trying several BB adapters until I found one with a shell that allowed the wires to pass through. In my case, it was a PF30, and I ended up with a Torqtite BB adapter. YMMV.

If you search around on this site, I believe I posted about it, and may have even posted some pictures.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    It's always good to make sure you know what you're up against before ordering hundreds of dollars worth of parts.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    It's always good to make sure you know what you're up against before ordering hundreds of dollars worth of parts.
    Second that, I learned that lesson the hard way...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks guys, I managed to get the parts for a good price so I could sell them and get my money back fairly easy if I'd didn't work out. I have taken one of the BB cups out today though and there is room to route the cables and insert the junction box, then re-install the BB cup so I'm good to go.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Alwaysinjured View Post
    Thanks guys, I managed to get the parts for a good price so I could sell them and get my money back fairly easy if I'd didn't work out. I have taken one of the BB cups out today though and there is room to route the cables and insert the junction box, then re-install the BB cup so I'm good to go.
    I'm doing this same upgrade in a few weeks, as I'm just waiting for the parts to arrive. I figured I would have to remove the BB to get the B-jct and wires in there.

I've replaced the rear derailleur cable a couple of times through the right rear chainstay, and am just wondering, how did that part of the Di2 routing go? I remember it being a pain, as I had to hit that little sleeve that was in there for the cable, but now I'm wondering if I can even get a Di2 cable through there? Any experience or tips would be greatly appreciated before I muddle through. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Hey, well the good news is you can definitely get it to work as I'm running Di2 on my TCX SLR1 now. I took the BB out and managed to get everything wired up but from memory I couldn't get the wire to the rear derailleur myself so I took it to my LBS who just had a bit more patience than me and got it through.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks. I'll have to look at it again. I'm wondering if they used the Park Tool to route it. I'm hoping I can just remove that sleeve and the cable will slide through.