Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013

Question Can I use Eggbeater and MTB shoes for road bike ???

Can I use Eggbeater?MTB shoes for road bike ???
    I think I can move easier in MTB shoes than road shoes.

What do u think ?

A wheelist
    Absolutely you can. I use mine all fall/winter/spring on my road bike as grit plugs up my Speedplay cleats (my summer road bike pedals). I use Eggbeaters on my mountain bike too and do lots of road riding (paved and dirt) with them. There are no negatives.

Yes, mountain bike shoes and pedals give you great walkability - if you need that.

Consider getting the Eggbeater Candy pedals.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Absolutely you can. I use mine all fall/winter/spring on my road bike as grit plugs up my Speedplay cleats (my summer road bike pedals). I use Eggbeaters on my mountain bike too and do lots of road riding (paved and dirt) with them. There are no negatives.

Yes, mountain bike shoes and pedals give you great walkability - if you need that.

Consider getting the Eggbeater Candy pedals.
    Thanks...
    What is the reason for getting the Candy pedals ?

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by edle View Post
    Thanks...
    What is the reason for getting the Candy pedals ?
    Their platform gives you a bit more support and more of a pedal surface for pedaling without being clipped in (say, before getting clipped in while starting up going through an intersection).

I just have regular Eggbeaters and they're fine. If I had to buy them again for my winter to spring riding, I'd get the Candys but as I have three sets of normal 'beaters, this won't happen.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I ride regular eggies about 75% of the time. Great around the City and fine for long rides too. You can still push for a rev or two without being clipped in. Never been tempted to try Candys, don't see the benefit. Good stiff soles on the shoes are vital. My mtb shoes and boots are Garneau and they have been great and survived many years of abuse.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Steaming piles of opinion
    Candys start to matter if the shoes aren't stiff enough, and mtb shoes are sometimes built with more flexibility (depending on brand and intended use.) With good stiff shoes, eggys are fine.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Eggbeaters + Mountain shoes are fine, not to mention very convenient for when you're off the bike. That being said, I've always found that Road Shoes and Pedals make me stronger and more comfortable when the going gets long and arduous. It's not a style thing, it's a comfort/efficiency thing. With road shoes and pedals, it takes longer for your ankles and feet to begin to protest...and lemme tell you it's a very good thing to keep your ankles and feet happy for as long as possible.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Cranky Old Bastard
    You don't want to break the Rules do you?

Rule #
    34 // Mountain bike shoes and pedals have their place.

On a mountain bike.

Just kidding!!!

I love my Candy2s and mountain shoes and my cross bike is my road bike.
    I picked my Diadora shoes partly because they look like road shoes, but I can still walk in them even though they are really stiff.

I've always been one to break the rules, oh well.

Last edited by Randy99CL; 04-20-2013 at 05:29 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    The "rules"...oh brother, not that again.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Eggbeaters + Mountain shoes are fine, not to mention very convenient for when you're off the bike. That being said, I've always found that Road Shoes and Pedals make me stronger and more comfortable when the going gets long and arduous. It's not a style thing, it's a comfort/efficiency thing. With road shoes and pedals, it takes longer for your ankles and feet to begin to protest...and lemme tell you it's a very good thing to keep your ankles and feet happy for as long as possible.
    That must be an individual thing and not a general happening as I can't tell whether I'm in MTB shoes and Eggs or road shoes and S/Play Zero - when just riding along. They both give equal support and comfort. I can certainly tell when clicking in & out but that's immaterial here. The OP needs to know that MTB shoes and Eggs, whatever model, will probably be just fine for him.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    The "rules"...oh brother, not that again.
    I've not been on this forum long and wondered what these "Rules" were that people quoted. Just yesterday found a link and laughed my butt off. What snobs!

So I pasted them into Word. It amazes me that when I copy-n-paste them into a post that the link is still active, cool.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I tell you this -- If I couldn't feel any difference, I'd be using MTB footgear/pedals, too. But I do, so I don't.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Slightly Opinionated
    If you use mountain pedals and shoes, one of your testicles will shrivel up and fall off.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I tell you this -- If I couldn't feel any difference, I'd be using MTB footgear/pedals, too. But I do, so I don't.
    What would you attribute that to? I can think of three possibilities:
    1) Stiffness. Not an issue: Dominators are the same sole as Genius 5, for example.
    2) Fore-aft position: Could be, but I've found my mtns more able to get further back, which is the direction I'd expect this sort of problems.
    3) Weight. The mtn shoes are going to be heavier. Not completely convinced that matters all that much.

Not arguing, just curious in what you think it might be.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1 View Post
    3) Weight. The mtn shoes are going to be heavier. Not completely convinced that matters all that much.

Don't agree on this either. I have a pair of Mavic summer MTB shoes that are as light as my DMT road shoes.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1 View Post
    What would you attribute that to? I can think of three possibilities:
    1) Stiffness. Not an issue: Dominators are the same sole as Genius 5, for example.
    2) Fore-aft position: Could be, but I've found my mtns more able to get further back, which is the direction I'd expect this sort of problems.

Here's what I can tell you.

My mountain shoes are ten year old Sidi's. They don't have a model name on them, so that's a mystery. I can say, however, that I just tried to flex the soles every which way, and I could not do it with the strength of my hands and arms.

My road shoes are S-Works. As it is with the Sidis', I cannot get them to flex. Both pedal systems, BTW, are able to place my feet into exactly the same spot

I can say, though, that with the Eggbeaters, and the Time Atac's and the Shimano I-Can't-Remembers that preceded the Atacs, there was never a time where I did not feel as if my shoe was perched atop a large ball bearing. With the MTB equipment, no matter how I adjusted the pedals and the cleats, whenever I'd pedal with any genuine force, my feet would never fail to rock either clockwise or counterclockwise around an axis at a ninety degree perpendicular to the pedal spindle (I hope I'm explaining this properly). I would also never fail to feel that "ball bearing" digging into the bottom of my foot. I'd never fail not to feel a click when I'd be pulling up on my feet in order to get more power into the bicycle.

None of this has ever happened to me with a road shoe/pedal set-up.

To be sure, a mountain set-up might well currently exist that will give me the best of both worlds -- the security and lack of extraneous motion of a road set-up, and the ability to stroll through the Neiman-Marcus if my wallet feels a bit heavy, that day. The thing is, I'd rather spend the money at the Neiman-Marcus than buy a succession of MTB pedal-shoe combos until I find the one that does the job.

As for weight, it's not a crucial issue for me. In my book, comfort always trumps avoirdupois.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    And... just to prove how unconcerned I am with fashion... I have a visor velcroed to my helmet. I've never shaved my legs. I don't wear socks with my shoes, except in extreme circumstances.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    No you cannot use those................

I will remind you on the road as I pass you riding my CAAD10, with Time ATAC pedals and Specialized MTB Pro shoes (with the toe spikes attached) and my 11-32 Shimano XT cassette paired with my SRAM X.9 rear derailleur.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

That makes sense. Some folks don't work well with free float. I imagine you wouldn't like Speedplays, either. Same way with rocking.

Thanks for taking the time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012

Can I use Eggbeater and MTB shoes for road bike ???

I wear specialized rime all mountain shoes. Egg Beaters on the roubaix and Candy's on the nomad and tallboy. Works great and I don give a rats a@@ what I look like. I spend equal amounts of time on all my bikes in lots of different weather and I find having the consistent feel between bikes a huge plus. Even though ones a road bike ones an xc bike and the other is all mountain they all feel the same if that makes any sort of sense.

Formosan Cyclocross
    I used to use them between my bikes, but the build quality of CB pedals are so awful, I switched to Look S-Track Pedals.

My eggbeater 3s fell apart after a year of exclusive road riding. My candies lasted a week.

Word from the bike industry, is that Crank Brothers used to have a pretty decent supply chain, but not they are relying on inferior suppliers in their supply chain and it is affecting their QC. They know they have problems and offer tremendous discounts for rebuild kits and warranty replacements. Still, you're without pedals for a couple weeks.

They are a nice concept, but until the execution is remedied, I would stay away from CB.
    Last edited by Dajianshan; 05-02-2013 at 12:02 AM.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    That must be an individual thing and not a general happening as I can't tell whether I'm in MTB shoes and Eggs or road shoes and S/Play Zero - when just riding along. They both give equal support and comfort. I can certainly tell when clicking in & out but that's immaterial here. The OP needs to know that MTB shoes and Eggs, whatever model, will probably be just fine for him.
    I can tell a difference between my candys and my speedplays. My feet protest sooner with the Candy. You do have a more concentrated pressure applied to your feet with MTB pedals/cleats, compared to the Speedplay. But, my riding on cross country trails is also different from when I ride road.

Despite all my crashes (and smashing into rock gardens, etc), I still haven't broken a Candy pedal yet....

When it comes to clipping in... 4 side entry is better than 2 side entry, and I'm a lot faster clipping in with the Candys compared to Speedplays
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    ...You do have a more concentrated pressure applied to your feet with MTB pedals/cleats, compared to the Speedplay....
    Not if the shoe's sole is sufficiently stiff.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    My shoe soles - road and mtb - are equally as stiff. Pedal type and size under those soles is not noticeable.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    Keep in mind something though....on the CB cleat, you don't have huge cleat to support compared to a road bike cleat. Plus, the middle section in between the holes, contribute too much to the stiffness.

Here's a pic:

My MTB shoe on the left and My road on the right.

WIth a MTB shoe, going too stiff can be a bad thing when you need to do some walking.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast