Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Can Shimano wireless Flight Deck be used with rear wheel?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Damian 
#1 ·
Can one use the 9 spd wireless shimano flight deck using the rear wheel with a sensor instead of the front? I tried but it didn't work - is it too far, or is my battery just not strong enough (I got the setup used)? It works okay with the front wheel at this point. It would be real advantageous to use the back wheel since I am trying to keep track of cadence on my trainer, and only the rear wheel is turning (I have rollers too, but like to hammer on the rear wheel trainer). Any insight from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
As a general rule, wireless computers don't have even close to enough range to operate from the rear wheel. In fact, I've found that I have to be careful about how high I mount the sensor on the fork of a large frame bike.

Just for my own curiosity, how did you manage to get the sensor close enough to pick up the wheel magnet?

#3 ·
Spoke Wrench said:
As a general rule, wireless computers don't have even close to enough range to operate from the rear wheel. In fact, I've found that I have to be careful about how high I mount the sensor on the fork of a large frame bike.

Just for my own curiosity, how did you manage to get the sensor close enough to pick up the wheel magnet?
I'm not sure what you mean, close enough to pick up the magnet - do you mean on the front or rear? On the rear it never really worked, although I was able to mount it so it was close to the magnet (about a third of the way out from the hub, on the left chainstay, where i currently mount my sensor for my wired cadence computer).

#4 ·
Larry Klassen said:
I'm not sure what you mean, close enough to pick up the magnet - do you mean on the front or rear? On the rear it never really worked, although I was able to mount it so it was close to the magnet (about a third of the way out from the hub, on the left chainstay, where i currently mount my sensor for my wired cadence computer).
It's just that I've attempted to mount computers that were intended for front use on the rear wheel before. (I was going to splice a longer wire onto it.) The problem I had was, due to the use of spacers on the rear hub, I couldn't think up a very elegant way to get the sensor close enough to the wheel magnet.

#5 ·
Larry Klassen said:
Can one use the 9 spd wireless shimano flight deck using the rear wheel with a sensor instead of the front? I tried but it didn't work - is it too far, or is my battery just not strong enough (I got the setup used)? It works okay with the front wheel at this point. It would be real advantageous to use the back wheel since I am trying to keep track of cadence on my trainer, and only the rear wheel is turning (I have rollers too, but like to hammer on the rear wheel trainer). Any insight from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Hey there
yes i find it very annoying about the rear wheel mounts. Unless you use rollers in winter you cant track your miles indoors along with out doors. But cat eye has just come out with a new computer that is wirelss and is for rear wheel mount. Its not cheap though I think its around 150$ I know performance carries it. Cate eye is good stuff so im sure its nice, im considering getting one but my sigma sport is ok. But yes it would be nice to have the flight deck be wireless, Shimano take note!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.