RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

can you make a 7 speed a 9 speed?

Can I change my Nishiki 7 speed circa 1986 from a 7 speed to a 9 speed. I have components. A SRAM 9 speed cassette. Can I just by a 9 speed back wheel?
    I have end bar shifters that are friction. Is there a limit on what their shifting range is? i.e. will it have the range to shift to all 9 gears?
    I have a Tiagra RD to replace the SunTour one.
    Thanks. Trying to see if I can use my spare parts for upgrades.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In this case, you'll need a cassette rear wheel and the 9 speed cassette and chain. Unless you want it to index, your Suntour derailleur and shifters will work fine.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

just ride your bike
    Won't the rear spacing be an issue as well? I thought 9sp is wider than 7sp. Also, I'd be wary about friction shifting 9 cogs; I tried that with 10 in the back for a while and it ghost shifts when standing on climbs unless you're perfectly aligned, which is pretty much never. It's just too fine of a spacing. Got the Dura-Ace 10sp indexed downtube shifters and have been happy since.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Yep have to change the chain also. Forgot about the ghost shifts. Happens if the screw is too lose on the right shifter. Indexed Dura Ace did not think of them. Thanks.

just ride your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by osteomark View Post
    Yep have to change the chain also. Forgot about the ghost shifts. Happens if the screw is too lose on the right shifter. Indexed Dura Ace did not think of them. Thanks.
    You can get indexed 9sp Dura Ace shifters as well. And the ghost shifting happens even when the screw is tight; it's simply difficult to get the chain and cogs perfectly aligned when they're so tightly spaced.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by desurfer View Post
    Won't the rear spacing be an issue as well? I thought 9sp is wider than 7sp. Also, I'd be wary about friction shifting 9 cogs; I tried that with 10 in the back for a while and it ghost shifts when standing on climbs unless you're perfectly aligned, which is pretty much never. It's just too fine of a spacing. Got the Dura-Ace 10sp indexed downtube shifters and have been happy since.
    You can just shove the wheel in there and it will work fine. Or you can cold set the frame to the new spacing.

Ghost shifting can be a problem, but 9 is not super narrow spacing compared to 10. It is easy enough to try, first.

Beware of the different vintages of Dura Ace. Shifters marked 9/8 Dura Ace will run 9 on everything except for 7400 Dura Ace, which will shift 8 spacing.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com