Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

cane creek Aheadset question

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  laffeaux 
#1 ·
I got my wife's new-used redline in the mail today, and i was generally cleaning etc while waiting for the rest of the parts to come in. It has a cane creek aheadset headset on it, with what looks like steel BB'S in a metal 'cage' for the best description.

anyhow, they were definately dried out, so i re-greased them, and they still seem a bit rough. Can i replace these with new bearings? or do i replace the entire headset? it is standard 1 1/8 headset with no taipered steerer (2004 conquest pro)

#2 ·
Check the races/cups and the crown race that those bearings ride around on...if the races are worn (particularly the lower ones), the whole thing should be replaced.

You can pack loose bearings into the headset to replace the "caged" bearings. Just match the diameter of the current balls and buy a couple of extras, as you will discover that without the cages, extra balls will fit into the cups...and you WILL lose a couple on the shop floor as you do the installation.

#3 ·
SilverStar said:
Check the races/cups and the crown race that those bearings ride around on...if the races are worn (particularly the lower ones), the whole thing should be replaced.
if by worn, you mean i can see a pretty definite groove in the race, then yes, they are worn. I figure the bike can still be ridden as-is, the steering just isn't quite as smooth as i am used to feeling (all other bikes are sealed bearings). For some reason headsets kinda creep me out with all of their different angles and whatnot... but i am pretty sure this is just standard press in 1 1/8 with 36* angles.

(thankfully when i built my china-bike it just came with the appropriate headset, otherwise i am sure i would have ended up buying 5 of them)

#5 ·
Bearings are cheap, I'd try replacing them first. Worn races often have defined notches where the BBs have worn into the race.

Loose bearings will be a slightly better replacement as you'll be able to install a couple of extra bearings and they'll match up differently to the race than the old ones, so any wear will be less obvious. As long as the loose bearings are the same diameter, it will work fine. The down-side of loose bearings, is that when you take the headset apart some of the bearings are bound to fall out, and generally they roll underneath your refrigerator never to be seen again.

The other option is reinstall a new caged bearing. Your LBS should be able to find one for you. They work almost as well as loose bearings, and are a whole lot easier to deal with when your headset is pulled apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.