RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018

Cannot change shift modes on Di2

I recently bricked my Di2 during a firmware update from iPhone. I took the battery to my LBS and they flashed it which resolved the bricked state and it allowed me to complete a firmware update (this time through a PC).

One thing though that isnít working is the ability to change shift modes by double pressing on the button on the junction box. I can still connect to it from my iPhone by long pressing it.

Anyone have any idea on why that may be and anyway to fix it? Is it possibly a bug with the recent firmware?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Many people have had issues doing firmware updates via bluetooth, in particular updating the BT module wirelessly. I myself had it happen this winter.

The easiest fix...unplug your junction box from the battery...wait a bit and plug it back in. Should get back to working.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Many people have had issues doing firmware updates via bluetooth, in particular updating the BT module wirelessly. I myself had it happen this winter.

The easiest fix...unplug your junction box from the battery...wait a bit and plug it back in. Should get back to working.
    You need to re-read the OP. He states he got the system un-bricked with help from the LBS and thatís not his current problem (good advice though, about not using an app over BT to update the WiFi unit).

His issue is he cannot get the system to change modes - manual, Synchro, etc... via the button on the A junction box.

Only suggestion I have is I can use my Garmin 1000 to change shift modes and if you have that option, try it. But not a long term answer as to why the A junction method doesnít work.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    You need to re-read the OP. He states he got the system un-bricked with help from the LBS and thatís not his current problem (good advice though, about not using an app over BT to update the WiFi unit).

His issue is he cannot get the system to change modes - manual, Synchro, etc... via the button on the A junction box.

Only suggestion I have is I can use my Garmin 1000 to change shift modes and if you have that option, try it. But not a long term answer as to why the A junction method doesnít work.

No, I read his post. The junction no longer having mode-changing is an artifact of the failed flash. De-powering the junction box is a fix for this exact symptom IME.

If you unpolug the Junction and plug it into a PCE1--it'll say "no errors found", because unpowering it descrambles its brain....since the PCE1 can only talk to one Di2 part at a time physically unplugged from everything else.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    Ok, so I should try unplugging all 3 cables going to the junction box? How long should I wait?

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by koolzero View Post
    Ok, so I should try unplugging all 3 cables going to the junction box? How long should I wait?
    A few minutes should do the trick. The only power supply for all Di2 gear is the battery.

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post

Q: Would it be theoretically possible for someone to hack someone else's electronic shifting?

I'm envisioning legions of electro-domestiques, riding up to the opposing team's leader, and pressing a button on a mysterious black box, causing an ill-timed shift....
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    Q: Would it be theoretically possible for someone to hack someone else's electronic shifting?

I'm envisioning legions of electro-domestiques, riding up to the opposing team's leader, and pressing a button on a mysterious black box, causing an ill-timed shift....
    On Di2, no since it's a wired system. You'd have to get physical access to the bike to plug it in.
    If you had the Di2 wifi adapter, "possibly". You'd still have to manually activate the connection from the Junction Box button, which would be hard to do while riding. If somehow you could put it into pairing mode, then you'd have to access it from the cell phone app, which is (should be) password protected. So you'd need to be in close proximity long enough to hack the password. Once in the E-Tube software, all you can really do is change settings. Possibly brick the system.

I think with SRAM E-tap it would be more theoretically possible since the shift signals are sent wirelessly. The signals are encrypted. But I imagine there's always a possibility to break the encryption.
    I always thought a more feasible scenario would be to create signal interference. If you had such a device, you could have legions of assistants with them at the top of a climb or at a sprint finish.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    No, I read his post. The junction no longer having mode-changing is an artifact of the failed flash. De-powering the junction box is a fix for this exact symptom IME.

If you unpolug the Junction and plug it into a PCE1--it'll say "no errors found", because unpowering it descrambles its brain....since the PCE1 can only talk to one Di2 part at a time physically unplugged from everything else.
    Ah !, much better. Thanks for this tidbit, good to know.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post

Theoretically on eTap-sure...but it would be a huge PITA, for fringe equipment that even among cyclists is a rarity. The other thing is that the equipment already has to overcome loads of interference to start with. Our air is utterly polluted with EM noise from a million wireless devices all competing for frequency spectrum. Ask anyone who's ever had to manage more than 1 wireless microphone at a large concert hall...it is hell on Earth because of how much EM noise/signal there already is in the air.

Think back to the days of Mavic Zap, the first electromechanical wireless shifting system. A system so advanced it was downright primitive and lacked handshake security...riding by high-voltage power lines could cause some really neat things to happen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    Thanks for the tip, unplugging the battery seems to have fixed it.

Ok, now that you helped me fix that I have another question. Even though I can change modes it does not ever seem to shift automatically. I have never been able to get this to work even prior to bricking the Di2.

Here is a pic showing all the hardware components on my bike:

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0...VQ7Cg#IMG_3862
    Last edited by koolzero; 06-04-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Thanks for the tip, unplugging the battery seems to have fixed it.

Ok, now that you helped me fix that I have another question. Even though I can change modes it does not ever seem to shift automatically. I have never been able to get this to work even prior to bricking the Di2.

Here is a pic showing all the hardware components on my bike:

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0...VQ7Cg#IMG_3862
    Have you set up synchronized and semi-synchronized shift modes in e-tube either in-app or on desktop? If you don't have an S1 and S2 mode setup, then cycling through the shift modes won't do anything.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    That must be what I need to do. Could you walk me through that process. Here is an animated gif I made of my eTube software of how my bike is currently configured.

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0UcoiTHSyePk4vJJxI9655N5Q#eTube_Settings

Adorable Furry Hombre
    That must be what I need to do. Could you walk me through that process. Here is an animated gif I made of my eTube software of how my bike is currently configured.

https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0UcoiTHSyePk4vJJxI9655N5Q#eTube_Settings
    You the settings shown should be configured for it...are you quickly double-tapping the button on the junction box to change modes? You should see the LEDs on the side flash the code for which shift mode you are in and what the battery status is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    On Di2, no since it's a wired system. You'd have to get physical access to the bike to plug it in.
    If you had the Di2 wifi adapter, "possibly". You'd still have to manually activate the connection from the Junction Box button, which would be hard to do while riding. If somehow you could put it into pairing mode, then you'd have to access it from the cell phone app, which is (should be) password protected. So you'd need to be in close proximity long enough to hack the password. Once in the E-Tube software, all you can really do is change settings. Possibly brick the system.

I think with SRAM E-tap it would be more theoretically possible since the shift signals are sent wirelessly. The signals are encrypted. But I imagine there's always a possibility to break the encryption.
    I always thought a more feasible scenario would be to create signal interference. If you had such a device, you could have legions of assistants with them at the top of a climb or at a sprint finish.
    Maybe.. maybe not.. It all depends on the security controls built into the DI2 eco system. While pressing the button is normal operation, with the wireless unit, and a vulnerability, a condition where you can access the system without the button press may exist.

Now I am going to have to bring my bike (I have DI2) to Defcon.. onto the hardware hacking floor I go

Causing an ill timed gear change might be amusing (or painful if the rider is standing and cranking away up a hill, and you suddenly force a shift to a much higher gear resulting in throwing the rider off balance and whacking his nuts into the stem.... ), a bigger issue might be removing or bypassing the safety code in the battery, and then forcing a thermal runaway condition.. this could cause the battery to explode, and they are not small batteries. That could do significant harm, especially when in the seat post or other enclosed space causing potential shrapnel.

Again, these are hypotheticals.. but who knows...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    My Garmin detects that the modes change when I double press the junction box button and the lights blink corresponding to the mode Iím in. For whatever reason Iíve never been able to get it to work though.