Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    21

    carbide bearings???

    does anyone know anything about either phil wood or chris king making a b.b. with carbide bearings?

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    137
    Not sure if it is exactly what you mean, but Phil Wood makes "Carbonyte" bearings.

    http://www.philwood.com/Phil%20Spec'd%20Bearings.htm

    There is a little info. in this Youtube clip as well.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4nrKsTcsBQ

    Troy Watson of Ligero is supposed to put some in the hubs of a wheelset I am getting. Not sure if they are going to be any better than Phil Wood's regular bearings, but they seem worth a try. It is hard to find any additional information on these.

  3. #3
    Resident Curmudgeon
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14,104
    Steel bearings, titanium bearings, ceramic bearings, and carbide bearings are all pretty much the same. Personally I like my hand made dryer lint bearings the best. They're very quiet, extremely stiff when compressed, and give the softest ride you can imagine. Inexpensive too. I will admit one shortcoming - they don't last as long as some of the others.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

  4. #4
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    36,860
    I would think that carbide bearings would just eat up the bearing races...
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by cotocalicyclist
    Not sure if it is exactly what you mean, but Phil Wood makes "Carbonyte" bearings.

    http://www.philwood.com/Phil%20Spec'd%20Bearings.htm

    There is a little info. in this Youtube clip as well.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4nrKsTcsBQ

    Troy Watson of Ligero is supposed to put some in the hubs of a wheelset I am getting. Not sure if they are going to be any better than Phil Wood's regular bearings, but they seem worth a try. It is hard to find any additional information on these.
    thats what i was looking for. thanks!!!

  6. #6
    wim
    wim is online now
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    10,402

    Some more info on 'Carbonite.'


  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    Steel bearings, titanium bearings, ceramic bearings, and carbide bearings are all pretty much the same. Personally I like my hand made dryer lint bearings the best. They're very quiet, extremely stiff when compressed, and give the softest ride you can imagine. Inexpensive too. I will admit one shortcoming - they don't last as long as some of the others.
    ummm, ok.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    I would think that carbide bearings would just eat up the bearing races...
    That's an interesting question. I wonder if it is possible to use a carbide race insert. Seems like it would be too brittle but who knows?

  9. #9
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    36,860
    Carbide on carbide just seem like a bad idea too, I'm not a materials specialist but what is wrong with plain steel bearings?
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  10. #10
    Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Reputation: Dave Hickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    20,856
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    I'm not a materials specialist but what is wrong with plain steel bearings?
    That's easy....they don't cost enough..... You can spend 5x the amount and increase your performace by .0000000000000000000002%.....
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

    My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

  11. #11
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    36,860
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I forgot........silly me...I suppose now SOMEONE will have to ask why I hate America...

    Looking at those numbers I bet I would be able to save over a quarter of a second on my total year riding time....that is self defeating, I am looking for a way to spend MORE time on my bike, not less........
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  12. #12
    corning my own beef
    Reputation: JustTooBig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    5,644
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I forgot........silly me...I suppose now SOMEONE will have to ask why I hate America...

    I am looking for a way to spend MORE time on my bike, not less........
    carry an extra water bottle. That ought to do it. $399 bearings and a $3.99 bottle ought to just about cancel each other out, right?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

    ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA


    A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    137
    The OP asked a simple question and got the answer he was looking for yet somehow this has attracted a bunch of posters who feel the need to jump to conclusions and make comments about wasting money on bearings.

    I am not paying one penny more to try Phil Wood's carbonyte bearings. That company is known to make great products/bearings, just like Chris King, so I thought I would give a new product of theirs a try at no additional cost to me. Nobody here made claims about bearings making us faster.

    If you are looking to spend more time on your bike maybe you should cut back on the amount of time you spend responding to posts of no interest to you on this forum.

  14. #14
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    36,860

    .((

    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig
    carry an extra water bottle. That ought to do it. $399 bearings and a $3.99 bottle ought to just about cancel each other out, right?
    ignoring the post following yours...but....YOU PAY $3.99 FOR A WATER BOTTLE???????
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

  15. #15
    Resident Curmudgeon
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    14,104
    "...I suppose now SOMEONE will have to ask why I hate America..."

    OK. I got a question. Why DO you hate America? (you really didn't think I was gonna pass that up didja?)
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

  16. #16
    Frog Whisperer
    Reputation: Touch0Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    36,860
    I don't....I hate carbide......LOL.....except calcium carbide I like that
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

INTERBIKE

EUROBIKE

Hot Deals

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!




















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook